Pat's hustle....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by outbackjack, Jan 24, 2014.

1. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    6'10' center......senior......

And this guys dives on the floor at least 3 times last night on strictly hustle
    plays, one time leading to a steal and layup by Kasey Hill.

You just don't see guys play like that too often.

Couldn't get anything going offensively because of the packed in zone,
    but he's still doing all of the little things you want your leader to do.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +592
    Agreed. He was after it last night. I also liked Casey's effort on that block at the end. You could just tell how much he put into that...partially by the primal scream he let out.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    To many fans of ours give this guy a hard time. I have wanted him to go stronger in the post for years but it is what it is. This guy is a leader, he plays his d*** butt off every game. He is unselfish, dedicated, and just a joy to watch play in a Gator uniform. I think our lack of depth at center also makes him conservative on offense. If he bows his shoulder into a defender like most post guys to get a shot up, they are going down...have you seen him? I understand his timidness to throw his shoulders around or push into defenders much...offensive fouls are something our team can't afford and with his size the defenders crumble when he touches them sometimes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,218
    The only thing bigger than PY's shoulders is his heart.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    PY does a lot of the little things that give other guys stats. Boxing out is a great example. Many times the guy most responsible for a rebound is not the guy that gets credit for the rebound. Steals are the same way. One guy makes the defensive move that causes a player to make a stupid pass and some other guy picks off the bad pass. Bret Nelson got a ton of steals this way.

My wife asked me last night why PY wasn't scoring more. I told her that 'Bama was packing a zone to keep him from going off and hoping that the Gators were cold from 3.

And it worked for most of the game for 'Bama and gave them a chance. If the Gators were stone cold 'Bama might have won.

And it also appears that my wife knows as much about college hoops as Coach Knight who had the same complaint. ;^) That guy never did get the value of a zone defense. Keith Smart saved his ass in 1987.
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Patric is challenged at times on the offensive end, but who wouldn't want him on their team, including the NBA?
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Patric is playing great, and I say that almost entirely based upon his fantastic effort and intensity.
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,599
    He seemed to be moving better last night too. Rserina alluded to knee problems in some earlier threads. I hadn't heard anything about that, but if true, I hope he is healing.
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +592
    To be honest, I think the board is hard on him because he shows so much potential, and we believe in him. That said, personally, I think he was GREAT last year. His offense is obviously limited, but man did he play some ferocious defense last year. He is still a great defender, but for some reason he doesn't seem to play at such a consistently high level, but I agree with you that no one can question his effort.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Eh, I think it is a little more long term than that. Just look at the dude's dimensions. He has a lot of weight coming down on those joints. Guys his size tend to have develop lower body injuries sooner than others. I think it is what has slowed him down really since his sophomore year. He dropped some good body mass this offseason to gain endurance and also reduce the impact on his lower body, which I think accounts for much of increased energy this season, but in the long term I think Young knows his knees won't hold up. I am hopeful he gets a crack at a NBA roster, maybe goes overseas for a few years to pocket some cash and get some additional experience, then comes back replace Bill Koss when Koss dies at 135.
    • Informative Informative x 1