Patric Young vs Football

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator4life729, Aug 9, 2013.

1. gator4life729

gator4life729 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    He'd make a hell of a defensive end...
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I'm just hoping Muschamp didn't see this.
  4. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    There was an article on Grantland recently saying that Lebron would make a better DE than TE and that he wouldn't be very good at either.

Considering that the best athletes play basketball, I think a lot of them would make uncoverable TE's.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +652
    There's certainly a precedent of marginal basketball players doing well in the NFL. I disagree that the athletes in basketball are any more athletic than other sports though. I'd say the best tall athletes play basketball.
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Preston Pearson anyone?
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Football and basketball are very different. One thing required as you move up from high school to college to pro is that you joints can take the hitting. Nobody has any idea if James or Young's or any basketball player shoulders or knees etc can take college or pro level hitting.
  8. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Do any of you remember Major Parker?

Following the end of his 4th Basketball Season, he added about 20-25 lbs and played backup DE on the next fall's football team.

Do any of you remember Charlie Ward of the Seminoles. He was a Heisman Winner in football, but decided to play pro Basketball instead, which was a wise choice. I'll never forget when the Nolies signed him, I was thinking: "This guy is going to be nothing but trouble for the Gators." And, as it turned out, I was correct about that.

Regarding who are the best athletes, there is no longer the difference among sports in Division I that there used to be, because for about the last 15 years all athletes lift weights, do distance running, flexibility, agility, speed work, etc., etc.. for some 11 of the 12 months of the year.

One could legitimately argue that Gymnasts are the "best" athletes, although they are very small.

One could legitimately argue that Track Athletes are the "best" athletes in their specific mileau. Sprinters are the fastest, shot putter and discus, the most powerful push, high and long jumpers, the greatest leg power, distance runners, the greatest stamina, and decathaletes and hepathaletes the most versatile.

Recall when Rainey and Demps ran on the Gator championship sprint relay team.

One can make legitimate arguments for just about every sport except for sailing, golf, tennis, softball and baseball, all of which are so skill required that athletic ability is not the primary criterion for competing even at the Division I level.
  9. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    I always wanted to see Horford, Noah, and Richard trot onto the football field to play linebacker whenever our opponent lined up for a place kick.
  10. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
  11. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Jimmy Grahm
  12. VTGator

VTGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Ward is 6-2, Parker is 6-4, PY is 6-9. How many 6-9 guys are there in the NFL right now?
  13. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +652
    Parker probably plays football for his federal prison team...
  14. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Right as I said, you don't know. James might have joints that translate to football or maybe it would be an unknown college basketball player like Graham. You just can not look at a guy and say great athlete he would make a great x in the NFL as you don't know if their joints would tolerate the hitting.
  15. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +594
    It's a clever, unprovable, and untestable proposition, this "good football joints" thesis. But I'm not buying it.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +621
    Yup. What are the odds that a good percentage of these amazing athletes in basketball just couldn't cut it in football because of weak joints?
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    Probably not many. Basketball puts a lot of stress on the joins from jumping and the amount of games played each season. Some guys obviously have weak joints like Greg Oden, but James is going into his 11th season without having sustained any major injury.

He's missed 35 out of 938 games - less than 5% - and those were only for rest. That doesn't count International play either. He's pretty much an iron man.

Before Westbrook had his knee run through, he had played in every possible game he could without rest - 439 consecutive not counting international - and he throws his body around with abandon. He'd make an amazing Wide Receiver at 6'3 and amazing jumping ability.

They're probably a lot of NBA superstars who could make it in the NBA, but very few like Ward who can go the other way. It's 65 vs 15 man rosters after all. The best are already playing basketball.

I'd love to see someone like Lebron playing goalie for the US National Soccer team. That's something I'm confident he'd succeed in. I've always wondered why no one recruits very large massive goalies with a huge wing span and quickness to play in goal.
  18. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +652
    Not buying the weak joints argument either. It takes more than just athleticism to play any sport at the professional level though. There are certain skills, abilities, innate understandings that some people have and separate them from other athletic people. It's impossible to prove whether a Lebron would have those or not. You'd think a freak athlete like Matt Jones could have made the transition from QB to WR but we know how that went.
  19. demosthenes

Ratings Received:
    +652
    They do. It's the tallest position on the pitch. However, being too tall is actually a disadvantage as it makes you overly susceptible to low shots. Go look at the top keepers in the world. Generally you'll find them in the 6'1" to 6'5" range and this isn't because there aren't 6'8" and 6'10" keepers out there.

Keepers require exceptional reflexes/reaction times in addition to size and athleticism.

The US isn't lacking for keepers as we've had the best in the world for the past decade. At one time we had two of the top five keepers.
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,959
    I think there is more of a mental leap for a basketball player to switch to football and is exacerbated by people trying to knock you off your feet. Yes basketball players wrestle and strength is an asset but it is "noble wrestling." Having someone across from you wanting to see you feel pain is not for everyone. Yes, playoff basketball is a contact sport but you also see teams who are good in the regular season wilt under the additional pressure.

Not to mix thing up too much but Matt Jones (Ark QB) is a great example of someone who had great athleticism but just couldn't translate that skill to receiver, let alone someone who had to block an outside linebacker or DE as a TE.