Patric Young---New Position

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bbreece1, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    This once was commonplace in the 60's but then suddenly stopped. Wouldn't it be worth a shot for an NFL team to sign Young as a free agent to give him a shot at defensive end? I would say tight end but his hands appear to be too small, however, that would not affect his ability to play DE. Nobody can still believe that a guy once forecast as a "One and Done" is suddenly going to develop a needed ability to have some kind of an inside game. He doesn't dominate at the college level in his 4th year, how could any NBA team see him as anything more than roster filler. The sheer physical presence has lost its allure and yet it is the physical dominance that could work in the NFL. Sure he could play in Europe--I believe Werner plays in Europe---but maybe Young would want to first give the NFL a shot. Sure he would be a project but he would be seen as capable of developing. Nobody besides an Orange and Blue Diehard can possibly see him as a "contributor" in the NBA. Guys, it's his 4th year. Can anyone reasonably say this is what they expected 4 years ago? YES, He is a GREAT kid, SUPER character, a wonderful ROLE MODEL and a tremendous human being. Now that could also describe Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela and Jonas Salk but it won't get you drafted. 320,000,000 Americans. About 500 can play in the NBA. This is not a slur against Patric Young. It is meant to be an alternative without an iota of animus.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    My guess is that Patric ends up having a lengthy NBA career. He has been taught well by Billy. I would not be surprised if at some point he becomes a starting center in the NBA.
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    Did PY play HS football? If not, I don't suspect he will get a shot or want a shot in the NFL. Not specifically because of HS, but because he lacks football experience. Antonio Gates played football into college. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Graham played some for the 'Canes as well. In the end, I think Patric is a basketball player. He will get a shot at the NBA and if he does not stick, he will play overseas.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +641
    I like Patric as much as any of you (I honestly think this might be the case), but I don't see a future NBA contributor of much significance. I've been wrong before and hope I'm wrong this time. I wouldn't mind him proving me more wrong than Parsons has. I just don't expect it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    I understand this position, esp wrt skill. Remember, though, that the NBA drafts and functions largely on potential. Pat's biggest challenge might be developing the offensive skill set to play the four, as I doubt he's an NBA center. Can he develop a mid-range game and defend on the perimeter? Many of the NBA PFs have a long range game that Pat might struggle defending. We'll all be rooting for him.
  6. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I really don't think his defense will be a problem. In fact, I think he will be just fine in the NBA. I don't see him as a star or anything but I think he will be just fine. I don't see what the OP is talking about either. The kid is projected to be a second round pick on every draft board that I've seen. I think he is limited offensively but I also think he has a nice looking stroke but for some reason hardly takes it. When he does take it however, he hits it more often than not. Go back and watch the 2...yes only 2 that he has taken this year. Both of them hit the bottom of the net with good form and a nice rotation. In the end, he is big, strong and athletic. He also has more skills on the court that most people don't see and he just doesn't show for some reason. I think if he works as hard as he can, he will not only make a team but contribute as a solid role player.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    alpha - I agree that Patric is a good to great defender, but defending college players in the low post is much different than defending NBA PFs (esp. when they step out on the perimeter). My point was not that he could not do it, but that it would be one of his primary challenges. I imagine PY can hold his own in the post with the best of them, but don't you feel he would be challenged if asked to defend guys like Dirk, Josh Smith, Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge?
  8. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Serge Ibaka is 6'10 245 and came into the league as a shotblocker with a 6 ft turnaround jumper as pretty much his only offensive move. I don't see why Patric can't keep working on his midrange game and become a consistent contributor someday. Don't NBA players not hit their prime until 26 or 27? A few years as a full time basketball player will do wonders for Patric's game. He's already there as far as defense and rebounding are concerned IMO. His strange conditioning issues probably raise more red flags than anything else.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    PY is not Preston Pearson.
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    what happened to the dumb rating?
  11. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    I know there is a huge difference. However, the players you named are very talented players. I would bet that Anthony Tolliver and Alexis Ajinca have trouble with those some players as well. Both of the latter mentioned are on an NBA roster and I will assume that P. Young is just as good as those guys which is what the OP was talking about. I mean if guys like Lou Amundson is talented enough to make it, I think P. Young is as well.

With that said, you were trying to make the point that he will need to improve his game in order to make an impact. I totally agree with that. P. Young will have to improve in all phases of his game. I'm not going to bet against him though because a lot of Billy's players come out of the draft underrated and turn into really good players (Chandler Parsons and David Lee come to mind) outside of the 04s. I'm not sure if it is Billy's pick and roll/ share the ball system or what but for some reason our players don't get the respect they should coming out. With that said, I'm going to assume that the same P. Young you see now is NOT going to be the same one you see in the NBA if he is productive. He is going to have to develop his craft and take it to another level.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    I think he makes it, but he will be a roll player/backup. He is probably 6'8" or so with not great length, and mediocre offensive skills and below average hands.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Perhaps he might consider Aligator Wrestling as a profession, that's considerably less dangerous than football, although it involves a need for great strength, agility and focus.

We know he is well trained, but I too have doubts about how well he will do in the NBA. I certainly wish him well.
  14. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    You do realize many of these comments suggest that quite a few guys(4 year players) have become really good after they left Florida. I'm sure you are not implying what many would infer.Correct?? Matt Bonner, David Lee, Chandler Parsons. If Young somehow goes in the 2nd round and starts knocking down 12 foot turnarounds, I will start to wonder.
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    I wonder if Patric could take a few pointers from Haslem, who played under Billy as an undersized "5", but who realized he could better by honing his skills and body in Europe and made a nice career for himself
  16. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Pat will have a solid career somewhere
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    I think the big thing for Patric is his health. I think he is a better player now than he has ever been at Florida. However, his knees are making him a different kind of player. He is no longer "athletic" or as athletic as he used to be. I remember in his first two years, when he got a rebound underneath or got the ball with position underneath, he went up and dunked the hell out of the ball. His injuries are preventing him from being that guy now.

As to the original post regarding football, my concern would be if you are having knee troubles during your college basketball career, I don't think it would be wise for me to draft you (or sign you as a free agent) for a sport where you are much more likely to get injured (especially in the knees).
  18. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Is it a given that Pat wants to play basketball for a living. He is big strong and athletic but he is also smart and well educated. Scholar Athlete of the Year the last two (three?) years. It will be interesting to follow what he does.
  19. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    If he is smart, he will go get that paper. There is gold in them there hills. I think he would be foolish to not try and play professional basketball. He will make a VERY good living doing it (for as long as or brief it would be). And if he has to do it overseas in Europe, oh what a terrible thing that would be. Poor anyone who has to go kick it in Europe for a few years and make fat cash! :)

I'm sure he will play hoops and have a very fulfilling life after his pro days are done. I agree with you in that he is well rounded and that will serve him well. In the meantime, go get that cash while playing a game.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I have thought this for the last year or so except almost the exact opposite in terms of honing his body in Europe. Haslem went there needing to trim some baby fat and get stronger. The story I remember hearing was he went somewhere he didn't like the food (I want to stay France) and the only thing he could tolerate was mcdonalds so he went on a big mac and weight lifting regimen for 2 years to shed the pounds and tone his body while working on that mid range jumper; whereas I think Pat is almost too strong/muscular and needs to do 2 years of yoga as a vegetarian to become more flexible while also working on his jumper.

As to his after playing career, he's a broadcasting (or something similar) major and with his personality I think we'll be listening to him do color commentary for a long, as the worst case scenario