Patients Pay Before Seeing Doctor as Deductibles Spread

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    I told you so.... I'm not sure it's a bad thing though there will be a lot of pain. It will lead to fewer doctors accepting "obamacare" plans and therefor RATIONING.... It will grow the "private" health care industry though. Much better services for those that actually pay.

My view that this would all transform to a private/ public school model seems to be coming true quickly. The producers will have to pay for the lousy "government services" for the freeloaders as well as paying cash for far better services for themselves.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...fore-seeing-doctor-as-deductibles-spread.html

When Barbara Retkowski went to a Cape Coral, Florida, health clinic in August to treat a blood condition, she figured the center would bill her insurance company. Instead, it demanded payment upfront.

Earlier in the year, another clinic insisted she pay her entire remaining insurance deductible for the year -- more than $1,000 -- before the doctor would even see her.

“I was surprised and frustrated,” Retkowski, a 59-year-old retiree, said in an interview. “I had to pull money out of my savings.”

The practice of upfront payment for non-emergency care has been spreading in the U.S. as deductibles rise. Now, the advent of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is likely to accelerate that trend.
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Your bold "prediction" is already true ----> see Medicaid & Medicare.
  3. mocgator

Ratings Received:
    +731
    My prediction on two tiers of service like public/ private schools is what I was speaking of.
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Those aren't really distinct tiers, if that's your go-to comparison. Unless your contention is that "private" = "always better service/performance." This is certainly not true of schools, as a substantial number private & charter schools peform rather averagely (comparable to average public schools) or even worse in some cases, and some public schools rival some of the best private schools in performance. But the point is moot, as there is already a rather distinct tier of service between being insured and not being insured in our system.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    More to the point, most countries with universal coverage that I'm aware of also allow private insurance and practice. So, those with the ability to pay are always going to have the opportunity to pay for a level or service above what is guaranteed. So no, your prediction isnt a very bold one.
  6. mocgator

Ratings Received:
    +731
    What happens when the liberals decree that you cannot be a "private" doctor?...
  7. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    Then every medical provider should claim they are all "agents of the state" and claim "sovereign immunity."

How's that for tort reform.
  8. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    What happens when unicorns and minotaurs start eating human flesh?
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    Many Docs I've spoken too agree. It is like this in plenty of the countries the US is routinely compared to.
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,756
    if there is going to be a shortage of doctors, doesn't the govt only have to open up more available visas to allow more foreign doctors into the US. If they can pass the medical boards you will have more doctors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/b...og-for-foreign-doctors-to-practice-in-us.html

according to this story foreign trained doctors basically have to repeat their residencies and post Doc training. There has to be a way to move them faster into the system if they came from a competent medical program
  11. egator1245

egator1245 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    Oh, nurses and even only high school graduates to screen and care for you will be the norm.. If you don't believe check the army.