Part of the problem

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by NoahBeanBizzel, May 15, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    The truth is we has not fallen behind look at our recruiting classes the last few years
    • Like Like x 1
  2. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +556
    Insightful posts, especially in regards to players getting paid.

I just have one comment on that subject...don't be naive to think it doesn't happen everywhere.

As far as recruiting goes, Florida is ranked consistently high so we are just fine. Player development has been more of an issue than recruiting. Player development is two-fold though and it takes BOTH the player and the coaches to succeed.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    A good exciting year on the field and we will be right back where we should be, just erase the last year fiasco, and show a good offensive product.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I dont think player development has been a huge problem. The main problem was Meyers last few years at UF there was a talent dip. You can pull really good classes on paper and there still be a talent dip. Franki Hammons was a 4 star player. Also you have players like Leonard and Christian leave the program at TE.

Then Muschamp's first few classes there was a continued talent dip at WR because of the transition of offensive staff members.

But look at the projected starting line up now.
    WR- Dunbar not elite ath but has been developed into a nice SEC starter
    WR- Robinson - Muschamp 3rd class he needs to be the guy
    WR- Pittman
    WR- Fulwood Muschamp 3rd Class

TE- McGee- Transfer
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    Everybody has bag men but UF getting a kid the in states schools want in Bama or Mississippi odd are slim.
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,444
    And barking players.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. johnsatchmo

johnsatchmo Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Loucheiz used to whip a brand new charger around town w/ 26 inch rims, tinted windows, sound system...
  8. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +774
    And a bag of weed....
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    What a bunch of croc, he definitely didn't hold up his end of the deal then. We gave him that "nice" car and we didn't get any production. Need to be wiser with our money.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,196
    What we need is a Crystal Ball so we know which never recruited 1-2 star high school player is going to grow into the 3rd and 5th pick in the draft like Florida High School players Bortles and Mack were
  11. G8RBob

G8RBob VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    There are schools, F$U, Bama and Auburn come to mind, that have been buying players for the last 40 years that I know of. And, both have been caught at it a number of times. Others, all of a sudden hit the top of the recruiting lists and you know it is a matter of time before they are caught; Oklahoma State, Ole Miss. I'll stick with the Florida way, a coach plays by the rules or he gets fired. We win some recruiting battles, , we lose some.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    I think we've fallen behind in our offensive recruiting. If you look at just offensive recruiting rankings, except for 2013, UF has been AT BEST, middle of the road in the SEC in offensive recruiting.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +556
    Not getting caught is the key. There isn't a clean program in the country. Hundred dollar handshakes here and there happen. Some schools may do more than others but a violation is a violation.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    I think it is fair to say we had fallen behind in offensive recruiting. After the 2013 and 2014 class that is no longer the case. It is critical we have a strong 2015 class as well which I think we will it could end up being an epic offensive class
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Not sure you can say that,...look at the #s over last 3 years:

QB: Driskel and Grier, what are they both top 5 prospects?

TB: Wasn't Kelvin Taylor a 5 star, and Matt Jones a 4*?

WR: Robinson and Fulwood, 5* and 4 *

TE: The two guys we recruited back in 2011 and 2012, Thompson and taylor were the #1 and #2 TEs in their classes

OL we did miss out in 2011 and 2012. We have some numbers at OL now in the 2013 and 2014 class, but its going to be a year or two before that shows up on the field.

Give it time, a lot of the players listed above are in their first and second year, and our main guys at QB and TB basically lost a season due to injuries.

people can't seem to take the 2013 injuries into consideration when evaluating gator football.

Believe me, the coaches weren't game- planning in August to have Skyler Morningweig handing off to Kelvin Taylor

Yes, we we sucked last year, but we played most of the season with 5 of our top 6 players either out or significantly compromised due to injuries.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    Well good - yeah we're not angels.

For all those that need their daily dose of cynicism, we got burned a long time ago by doing things the wrong way and the smart people that get paid a lot of money to run our institution recognized that they needed to follow a script that wouldn't allow that to happen again. It was recognized that we have the resources to be successful and it is just a calculated way we approach this. We don't cheat because in the long run it would be counterproductive for us.

Okay? Bravo for calling out the homers that might think UF is run by angels.

But to claim there is no difference between us and other schools is naive in my opinion. Just sayin....
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    You just listed 8 players recruited over a number of years to indicate we have offensive recruiting success? I'm not just talking about stars, I'm talking about production too.

2011 offensive class:
    5* = 1 - starting QB
    4* = 5 - ALL TRANSFERRED
    3* = 3 - 1 TRANSFER, Hunter Joyer and Trip Thurman may contribute,
    Also note that although Clay Burton and Tevin Westrbook were recruited for defense, they switched to offense from this class.

2012 offensive class:
    5* = 1 - starting tackle
    4* = 5 - 3 TRANSFERS - Pittman fighting for the slot, Matt Jones coming back from injury
    3* = 2 - Andrades and Mornhinweg
    So, from this class, at this point, we have 4 total catches, a third string QB, a starting tackle, and a RB that at this point, hasn't done much.
    Note that UF added 1 4* and 1 3* linemen through transfer

2013 offensive class:
    5* = 1 - starting RB
    4* = 3 - Fulwood, Bailey, and Robinson
    3* = 9 - 4 TRANSFERS so far. No contributors as of yet, but still early.

2014 offensive class:
    5* = 0
    4* = 4
    3* = 13
    A huge offensive class. A lot will be expected of them.

So last 4 years total: (including transfers in)
    5* = 3 -
    4* = 18 - 8 transfers
    3* = 28 - 5 transfers

Note that Quinton Dunbar, Chaz Green, are starters from CO 2010 and Mack Brown is currently the #2 RB and returning lead rusher from last year.
    But from the last 3 classes (not counting 2014), so far, there hasn't been any production. If you ranked them from a production standpoint against the rest of the SEC, I'm sure they would be near last.
    Even from a "stars" perspective, UF only has 12 offensive 4 star players on the offensive roster (and 3 5 stars). I'm pretty sure that would put them behind at least 6 other teams in the SEC right now.

That's what I mean when I say UF has fallen behind.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    The problem is the offense has sucked every year Muschamp has been here. So simply blaming it on injuries is missing the big picture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. WARGATOR

WARGATOR Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Almost all those we lost did have us in their top 5, some even top 2. With nearly 130 Div 1 schools to choose from that also says a lot positive about our recruiting. Despite the bad stuff the last few years we had only last year's class out of the top 5 and it was about 7 or 8 in most rankings. How many 4-8 teams can say that.
  20. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    Exactly. And I don't really know if there's much of a difference between paying players and allowing a program to be run like this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

Of course, you don't have to believe any of that "nonsense" that Hayes goes into. And don't worry, ghost: Oak knows that no program succeeding at a high level in the SEC is as clean as a cat's ass when it comes to following the rules. He knows better 'n that.

As far as the rationale being kicked around about the players we've missed out on, people can dismiss it all they want to, but we've had huge misses at positions of need dating back to Meyer's last several classes. When Spurrier needed elite WRs he signed five of them (i.e. Darrell Jackson, Steve Shipp, Travis Taylor, etc...). If he needed a crop of running backs he went out and signed Earnest Graham, Robert Gillespie and Chuck Marks (just to put a lil' swag on it). Nobody cared that Gillespie was out of Mississippi. He didn't sign with State or Ole Miss. If he needed a crop of linebackers, he brought 'em in by the truckload. He filled needs.

Florida football was taken to new heights under Meyer. The '06 and '07 classes were impeccable. Those were the types of classes that....produced championships. Or is that not true?

But I get it: Losing guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Sam Watkins, Timmy Jernagan, and all the players discussed in Fiutak's article hasn't hurt over the years. We DIDN'T WANT 'EM ANYWAY.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1