Part of the problem

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by NoahBeanBizzel, May 15, 2014.

1. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    I just happened to look at next year's top crop of athletes and c0uldn't help but wonder what kind of situation Florida would be in if they had landed even a quarter of the athletes they've missed out on on this list. Check it out:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1402223.html

The projected #1 pick (according to one man's opinion) in next year's draft, DT Leonard Williams, turned out to be a huge loss. Other potential first-round picks DT Chris Jones (Miss St.), Robert Nkemdiche and Laremy Tunsil all said no to the Gators. For those who know nothing about Tunsil, the kid grew up a Gator. Yet he never really took Florida seriously at all in the recruiting process. He signed with Ole Miss. I guess an ignoramus would explain that away by saying that he's on the Ole Miss "payroll", but that's just another form of denial.

Derrick Henry is on the back-end of that list, and the people on this board who know football know he's a potential first-round pick. He also grew up a Gator, and grew up in Yulee. Never even considered Florida in the process. Nelson Agholor and Joey Bosa were instate prospects who decided to play football thousands of miles away from Gainesville. Amari Cooper also went out of state.

Somebody is going to shake their finger and holler that, "You can't get 'em all." They'll be quick to point out that Florida stole Dante Fowler from FSU, and they'll bark about the class we brought in two years ago, that's going to make up for all those misses-not to mention the ones this past February.

But there was a time not too long ago when it was about who Florida had; not who it missed out on.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I disagree. I cannot remember any moment in my time as a Gator where we didn't miss out on big guys that seemed like they were in our pocket only to see them blow up in college and get drafted high.

Despite your dismissal, you can't get 'em all, and we've more than held our own in recruiting over the last 3 - 4 years. You could switch any number of those guys with ones we did get and you'd have the same effect.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,112
    OBOB said everything that needs to be said.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ravishing

ravishing VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    We've missed out on a bunch of studs (Jernigan, Kelvin Benjamin, tec.), especially lately due to many factors. The Meyer saga (retire/not retiring, etc.) killed us for 2 years, the coaching change from Meyer to Muschamp, the change in OC's, the boring-ass putrid offenses, the lull in excitement in the program and Gator Nation since the departure of Tebow, Meyer, etc., the amount of money desperate teams pay these kids (Clemson, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc.).

Muschamp has done his job and learned from his mistake with hriing a competent OC, now it'our job as the Gator Nation to come together and support our team. We need to get back to our roots that spurrier taught us (cockiness, confidence, passion, undying devotion, bleed orange and blue, the loudest stadium in the country, etc.) The recruits and their families see the apathy of the Gator Nation and they read all the crying and bitchng on these message boards.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Noah what are you talking about? We had no chance at some of those kids you named. Our recruiting is fine.

If you are expecting UF to get a kid out of Mississippi please go read the bag man article.
    The only reason Nkemdicche visited UF was so he could recruit VH3 he was always going to play with his brother. Until Tunsil's coach dies we wont get a kid from that school.

Now Leonard Williams was close too bad his coach had him change his mind the day of signing day. I think he might of ended up getting a job at USC could be wrong

Bosa is a OSU legacy. Henry was told to leave UF in the middle of a visit.

The year Meyer left and Shannon got fired did help FSU win a national title. But you can only sign a certain amount and you are going to miss on a bunch of players every year.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    You are right, we will.

Back when SOS was building UF up, he caused a stir by saying "don't know how FSU seems to get all the best players in FLorida, but I sure do see a lot of nice sports cars parked near the athletic dorms, I don't know if that has anything to do about it."

FSU used to clean our clocks in recruiting in the early 90's, and it won 5 of 6 versus SOS in his early years.

I would also point out that the only Sports Illustrated cover devoted to UF recruiting showed Marcus Stroud, a UF verbal commit, in the Red and Black after spurning UF on signing day.

Will Witherspoon, Keith Rivers, Terence Tolliver, Nick Maddox, Marvin Jones, Antonio Cromartie, Greg Reid, the list of 5 star recruits whose rejection of UF allegedly foretold UF's recruiting doom is as long as my arm.
  7. RotarySB

RotarySB New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    What's the story behind telling Henry to leave during a visit?
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Supposedly was very rude to a staffer.
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    It just takes winning- or being good enough to win- and fans will follow. We were cocky under Spurrier because he was good and we mirrored our coach. We knew we were going to win- most of the time. Hopefully what happens next will be worth the wait.

To this thread, our recruiting has been reasonably good but not stellar when you consider OL and offensive skill positions. We have not recruited nearly as well on offense as defense. Some of our annual rivals have recruited very well on both sides. Not to mention, even after Meyer let recruiting slide our 2010 class had only 9 players on roster and 2011 only 8 last season. Attrition has been a huge problem. The foundation of success is complete classes that stay long enough to contribute. Whether other teams miss on some players or not we have missed on some positions of huge need where, without that handful of players, we haven't really been able to field a competitive team. So yeah, to me the misses were crucial.

We aren't off to a blazing start this cycle either. Sure, it's early, but right now we trail Kentucky. :)
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We are in a good spot right now our top targets are still on the board and we are high on their list . Just like last year at this time we were behind UK.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    I really don't know why we missed on these recruits... probably a variety of reasons... including payroll.

Schools like Auburn, Climpson and reFSU have been paying kids forever. You really think Henry would be driving that new Camaro if he was at UF? How about Richardson with the Escalades? And I'd be very surprised if Ole Miss came out of nowhere to suddenly beat out us, Bama, LSU, Auburn, FSU, etc for top recruits without some money flowing.

As far as other reasons...
    • Success of other programs... Saban has a very successful program, which we haven't had for the last four years.
    • We haven't been a destination for RBs or WRs since recruits realized the QB was getting a lot of carries in Meyer's offense and the WRs were blocking for him, and we followed that with the anemic offenses Muschamp has put on the field... although Muschamp has done pretty well recruiting backs.
    • Kids that want to be in L.A. or South Beach are never coming to Hogtown.
    • Coaching staff turn over.
    • Influence from other recruits and family. Influence from agents.
    There's lots of reasons for success and failures in recruiting. We've done pretty well the last two classes though.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,092
    Could've should've would've.....this has been involved in college recruiting since it's inception.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    You can pick any year's draft and find as many guys we "missed out on." The truth is there is a finite number of players you can have in any recruiting class, and nobody gets all the 4 & 5* players. Which means you can wait four years and cherry pick the ones we didn't get and hem and haw.

But you can do that for literally any draft. You can go back to 2004 and do the same thing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    I love how every time a school out recruits us they are "paying" players. Honestly, it's sour grapes and makes us (as a fan base) sound whiny. The coach at Ole Miss said it best after his great recruiting class in 2012, something along the lines of "if anyone has evidence of Ole Miss cheating I'd like them to come forward..." To this day....no one has come forward with evidence. Gator fans just can't fathom how anyone could possibly not come to UF. #endofrant
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yep, but when we take one from under the nose of another program, suddenly no such accusations ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    Ole Miss may not have been paying players. Who knows?

You really think other programs aren't? The deal with Cam, or Reggie Bush or the players at tOSU were just unique events that never happen otherwise? The cars and apartments and tats and parties are all paid for legit by the players and their families? New jobs and houses for family members?

It happens. For real.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Sure Oak. It happens. And if it's happening at those other schools it's not at UF? We're just angels? I guess I'm just not that naive.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,509
    I'm sure it happens to some extent here.

But I haven't heard about our players in expensive new rides, or their families with new jobs and homes, or other obvious forms of payola.

We're the school of scooter injuries. And tickets.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,297
    I don't know; I tend to agree to a cetain extent with the original poster. I think we have been missing out on the 2-3 star players every year for the last four years that we needed to lift us out of mediocrity. All it takes is one more impact player every recruiting class to make a HUGE difference in our season (think Emmit Smith, Wilbur Marshall, Danny Wuerfel, Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, etc.). Certainly, there are kids who have an allegiance growing up to one school or another, or who want to be in south beach instead of Gainesville, but every school has to contend with that. However, for every kid like that there are five others who want to play for a winner and get noticed, thereby enhancing their NFL prospects. And don't think for a minute that there aren't plenty of kids out there who have been life long gator fans.

Pell, Spurrier and Meyer dealt with the same situation, but had no trouble bringing superstars to UF. Our four years of putrid offensive production have clearly hurt our ability to recruit as many impact players as we needed on offense. I hope Roper can turn things around this year and change that trend.
  20. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    I think Florida has fallen behind in recruiting because we do not offer sports cars and our athletes tend to get in trouble with scooters.
    • Funny Funny x 1