Parsons recruiting Howard

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Jun 22, 2013.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    I still see it as a very risky move on Houston's part, but Parsons has seemingly evolved into the leader of that team off the court.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/06/parsons-busy-sending-recruiting-text-messages-to-dwight-howard/
  2. gator1986

gator1986 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Could be risky since Dwight gets injured, and also seems to cause problems. I think the main problem this year is he did not really want to be in LA. He was adamant that he wanted to be in Brooklyn, that is where he wanted to shine, and he did not get that.

I think if Dwight can find a place and maybe it could be Houston, that he is fully happy I think it will reinvigorate him to have that drive again. He used to have it in Orlando before he became unhappy, and fittingly so, with the Magic organization which I still say is one of the worse sports franchises in all sports history.

I think playing with Kobe can be a bit much as he seems to be a real pain in the ass and a cry baby. You mix that with Dwight's Debbie Downer attitude at times and you have a recipe for disaster, as I said the right team, the right city, the right players with positive attitude, parsons, I think Dwight will thrive and could start winning and playing at a high level again.

JMO...
  3. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,462
    DW at one time really seemed to have his head on straight. Now?? Not at all. He needs to realize that until he can humble himself and become a team player, he will not fit in anywhere and will bounce from team to team before retiring with no ring. What a waste of talent that would be. Dwight! You are not smarter than the organizations out there so do what is asked of you. Listen to the coaches and stop thinking of reasons to get them booted. Spoiled bass turd!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    it's a good move for houston.

the problem in that league is that you only have so many options that you have to take risks.

houston isn't good enough. what else can they do?

if howard plays to potential, you'd have howard, parsons and harden. they'd still be able to add more as well.

parsons and harden aren't even 25 yet and howard is 27
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    No doubt that is their thinking. Star players are few and far between. If you have a chance to get one, you take it. I was never an Orlando fan, so I don't have a problem with Howard's personality, character, whatever. To me, the real issue for Houston with Howard (and we talked about this in the Howard thread a couple of weeks ago) is that he doesn't fit what they do. And what he does that actually fits their system is redundant with Asik. Howard can't shoot, he can't pick and pop, he can't pass, he can't outlet, and he almost always gets beat down the floor. He is at his best cleaning up the offensive glass, finishing pick and rolls, and protecting his own rim. Asik can do all of that, too (though obviously not quite to the degree Howard can), plus he is five years younger, isn't coming off back surgery and essentially two half-speed seasons, and costs about a third of what Howard does.

If they do score him, then they need to swing a second deal using Asik and one or two of their younger bigs like Jones, Robinson, or the Lithuanian kid whose name I can't spell to bring in a floor stretcher at the four who can also bail out their guards on the pick and roll or an elite defensive point guard with a three point shoot who can lessen the demands on Lin.
  6. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    The West is too stacked.
  7. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +171
    He should go to cleveland and wait for lebron.
  8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    I highly doubt Lebron is going back to Cleveland as long as Dan Gilbert is the owner.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sleeze

sleeze Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Let him go to Houston...it would guarantee the The Hawks wouldnt get him...i dont wont him near them.
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    In Orlando, Dwight went from being a team-first guy to a me-first guy. He's not a great offensive talent but he suddenly began to think that the offense needed to go through him in order to make him a great scorer. So he undermined Van Gundy, who had the Magic headed in the right direction. Now Van Gundy's gone and so is Dwight. With the coach gone and the team getting worse, he had to assume it was the organization overall that was the problem, because it certainly couldn't be him.
  11. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    I don't think Houston is a team that needs to reach on signing a superstar. They are very deep and very young, and should get better and better just with the guys they have. Better to develop chemistry and skills than risk the former on someone like Howard.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    That tends to be my perspective, but your window in the NBA closes awfully quick. Their best players are all young with great upside, but Harden will wear down if they have to rely on him for so much of their offense. This is the only season where they can expect to have the cape space to sign someone of Howard's caliber, then the "poison pill" kicks in for Asik and Lin, which will eat up the cap and make both untradable. Not sure what I would do if I were Morey. He likes Howard a lot and has made every effort to deal for him the last two seasons. Very, very tough call.
  13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    I was kicking this around in my head after reading this thread and the trade Bosh thread. Would Bosh and Howard be able to play together? Houston could trade Asik, 2 or 3 of their plethora of young assets and whatever else to Miami for Bosh, then sign Howard. Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden and Lin looks pretty good on paper.

Bosh is from Texas, Asik could be the rim protector for the Heat and the heat need front court help and most of Houston's young guys they would trading are bigs.
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,566
    Howard is an overpaid liability.
  15. iceman44

iceman44 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,049
    Howard is the best center in pro basketball. Everyone else still trails by quite a bit, including Hibbert, who is a liability in many ways.

He's a take every day of the week and then some. And I'm aware of his faults.

But really? You don't want Howard? Seriously?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    Of course they want Howard. But it isn't as easy of a decision as you are making it out to be, Ice. Do you really want to give up Asik, who is five years younger, doesn't have a back issue, and comes at about a third of the price, while giving you a slightly less productive version of Howard? And what will you do with Howard offensively? He can't shoot, he can't run a pick and pop, and they don't like running offense through the low post because it clogs the lane for penetrators. He can finish in the pick and roll in their system and crash the offensive glass.

Their are putative downsides to the move. What about Howard's back? If he had looked phenomenal last year, then there wouldn't be any concerns. But the past two seasons his field goal and free throw percentages have been markedly down, as have all of his efficiency numbers rebounding and defending. That isn't a terribly good sign for a big man who will be 28 before next season, is entering his tenth season in the league, and has logged a ton of minutes.

Given the cap space they have available, the paucity of quality free agents available this offseason, and the need to find someone to complement Harden, you take him. But you are overly simplifying it if you don't see the inherent risk here.
  17. iceman44

iceman44 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,049
    My post was directly in reply to the post above mine.

I don't have time now, but I'll reply to your concerns later. Many of which are very valid in my opinion. However, in the end--asik or Howard? That is the question. And we know the answer.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    Sure, but that's not the question. It isn't a straight up trade. The questions are more like: Asik in 3-4 years or Howard in 3-4 years? Asik + cap flexibility to compete for a Paul George/Deng/Gasol/Wall or Howard? Asik + Chris Paul or Howard? Asik + Josh Smith or Howard?

Hard to fault them for taking the bird in the hand, then hoping to deal a high value defender like Asik for the defensive minded point guard or stretch four they need. But those are the questions I suspect they are really considering.

Now you may return to Foucault.
  19. gatordd

gatordd Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    not a fan of Howard's game.. not for max money. I really think Al Jefferson would be a better signing for Houston.
  20. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Al Jefferson isn't even close. Howard is elite. He would be a perfect fit in Houston and elevate them to a true title contender. Don't be fooled by the idiocy of the Lakers and their coach.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry