1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Parsons is ready to take the next step

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by chompalot, Jul 24, 2014.

1. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,153
    I hope Parsons "takes the next step", but regardless, I'm starting to think he made a good decision to get out of Houston.

I think the whole discussion and "conventional wisdom" about 1st, 2nd, & 3rd options, and a certain number of superstars needed, and "whose team it is" is all kind of overblown and somewhat meaningless (including the comments Parsons has made about being the 3rd superstar for Houston - Who cares? IMHO). But, I can see why Parsons wasn't feeling a lot of respect in Houston based on all these quotes coming out.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    I heard that interview. Mohr asked Parsons who has given him the most important basketball advice and coaching in his lifetime and he said Coach McHale has been his mentor and taught him so much. No mention of Billy at all. He didn't even mention UF. Just said he was doubted his whole life, people said he wouldn't make it to the D1 level and he played D1, people said he wouldn't get drafted but he did. Then the McHale love for turning him into the player he is, etc.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,345
    howard and harden are primadonnas who will never win anything
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,468
    Harden and Morey should shut their pie holes, but they may be somewhat right.

As much as anyone else here, I absolutely LOVE what Chandler has been able to do in his three years, but his stats being so comparable to Harden's year 3 stats doesn't mean his game will take the same type of leap as Harden's did with a new team.

I mean, I'd be elated if it did, but really, I'm more hoping he can keep the same level of production as a Mav.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Bleh. Parsons went to Dallas because they signed him to a massive deal, not to be their #2 guy or whatever. Most of the comments are just damage control by the Rockets anyway. They gambled and got burnt badly this summer, from dumping Asik and Lin deals for essentially nothing to missing on Bosh and losing Parsons after declining his option. Now they are trying to paper over that by emphasizing Harden and Howard to the detriment of Parsons.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I am with you here. Everyone involved needs to shut up. Houston, players and staff, are trying to rationalize letting Parsons get away and yes with Ariza they did replace him with a $5.3 million lower salary but with a declining player.. Parsons is rationalizing them letting him go after they said they would match, but seriously did they say that expecting Parsons to sign for $15.3 million a year?

Harden and Howard have not yet shown they can really be stars and win. Parsons has not yet shown that can take a starring role. I guess with mild mannered Parsons it is good in some ways that he is sticking up for himself.

Each side should just focus on saying they won. Houston replace Parsons and saved money. Parson is making $15 million extra this year.. Both sides should look to the future not the past.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SwampFox

SwampFox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +97
    LOL at "The BabyMaker" Howard and "The Matador" Harden calling themselves cornerstones of anything but playoff fodder. This is a classless organization that failed miserably in all their objectives in the off- season. I mean what kind of teammates trash a young guy who elevated himself from a second round draft pick to a 15 mill a year contract in 3 short years and who previously , in the case of Howard anyway , took an active role in recruiting them to that dump?

The bottom line is Parsons stole the headlines the Houston front office were hoping for in the off-season and their Wambulance sirens have short-circuited.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,662
    IMO, Parsons left (besides the big money deal) because Houston hitched their wagon to Harden. He will have chased off both Parsons and Lin. I see Houston's GM getting his pink slip at the end of next year's season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
  11. RD_gator

RD_gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    I agree with Chandler Parsons' viewpoint - that the Houston organization did disrespected him both as a player and someone very helpful to their organization. Wasn't Parsons one of the main people to recruit Howard to Houston and sell the Rockets as a viable championship type of team with good role players (i.e, Linn)? Parsons & other teammates like Jeremmy Linn helped Houston to add significant talent to their team via free agency; otherwise, Howard would not even have gone to Houston. Parsons & Howard seemed to become fast friends and even went together to UF's Final4 game in Dallas.

Also, the Rockets got Parsons at a bargain early in the 2nd round of the 2011 NBA draft; Parsons eventually became a 3-year starter with Houston at a cost of just under 1 million a year. To me, the average NBA starter should get paid about 3-6 million a year, maybe more if they become a fan favorite. Now when it came time for a second contract, the Rockets made a really low-ball offer to him. Businesswise, you can't blame Houston to keep making Parsons their 'bargain chip goat' but Chandler got a significantly better offer from Dallas ($15 million/year). The Rockets didn't match the short-term 3-year contract. One could have viewed the 15 mil/yr as the following: an additional 5mil bonus for each of his 1st 3 years in Houston and 10 mil/year for his next three years of where he will be playing. But Houston did not value Parsons very highly and what he brought to their organization; they also did not value the team chemistry that all of those role players provided and how highly the Houston fans thought of them. I am sure the Asian community in Houston were not too happy when Jeremy Linn was also traded away.

The Rocket organization really made a mess of their team by failing to land Chris Bosh and trading away all of their useful pieces. Next season, it will be interesting to see if Houston even makes the play-offs. In that case, I could see Howard leaving that team for another when he utilizes the opt out clause in his contract.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    That is crazy. Morey has done a phenomenal job. He essentially took over a team with a pair of enormous contracts hitched to breaking down stars (McGrady, Yao), and within a few years had flipped them into Harden and Howard. How many GMs can say the same thing? Riley can, maybe Ainge, but you won't find many more.
  13. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    Yet Parsons posted a picture of him and Lin doing the Gator Chomp during our final four run...lol...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,127
    Parsons Loves UF and BD...he was in Dallas in the reptiles section cheering his butt off and gave BD a huge hug and chat after the game when they spoke for a bit....
  15. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +866
    I know, just telling you what he said on FOX Sports Radio. Wish he would have given a little props to BD. Mohr likes the Gators, and has said good things about Gator basketball in the past. He's a really funny guy, hard to work with him on in the background
  16. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Howard drug a pretty crappy team to the finals back when the east was still decent. He's not the player he used to be, but he's still top 10 with his defense.