Park City Utah

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by jaxbeachgator, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Heading out to Park City with wife in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for eating/restaurants and things to do would greatly be appreciated. Also, i plan on doing some hiking. Any must do trailheads in the arrea?
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,728
    Check out the gourmet food and valet parking at Deer Valley Resort...beautiful place.
    Also, try the Alpine Coaster for rides and fun.

If you like to drink, plan ahead in dry Utah.
    Funny laws about when you can drink liquor.
  3. utahg8r

utahg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    We've lived here in Utah (Salt Lake) for the last 13 years. Park City is a great place with tons of stuff to do.

First, Utah is not a dry state. And the laws have loosened considerably the last few years. If you want a drink, you can find it at any restaurant quite easily. The quirky laws are pretty much all gone with a few exceptions, and those exceptions aren't the crazy ones.

The hiking in PC is amazing. Where are you staying? If you're a mountain biker or road biker, there are plenty of places to do that, too. Be aware of the altitude and take it easy. Also, it's extremely dry here (generally) and dehydration can happen much faster than in Florida.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Eating:
    Pretty much any restaurant in Park City is good. Go to Main Street (a long steep hill flanked by businesses and restaurants) and check out Wasatch Brew Pub at the top fo the hill. Great food and beer. Chez Betty down near Park City Mountain Resort is good. Squatter's Brew Pub is also near there.
    Down at New Park, near I-80 is Maxwell's, which is decent, and Red Rock (another great brew pub).
    Up in Deer Valley is Stein Ericksen Lodge. Spendy but good.

Okay...enjoy your time here. It's a beautiful place.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,662
    I second that. Grappa, Chimayo Restaurant, Talisker on Main, Riverhorse On Main, and Reef's Restaurant. All of these are on Main St. Good, but pricey. So depends on how large your wallet is. :wave:

As far as good hiking spots, not familiar with Park City, as I do most of my hiking in Salt Lake area. If you are in great shape, you need to hike Mount Timp. It is a little drive from Park City towards Provo, but worth it. Plan on 7 hours depending on how good of shape you are, and about 4580 ft climb.
  5. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,662
    Utah is not a dry state, you can get a drink anywhere. The big difference is if you are ordering a mixed drink, the limit of alcohol is 1 ounce. So your jack and coke will be dark, as compared to Florida where you can see through it. :happy:

The other quirks is depending on the liquor license of the restaurant, you may only have one drink at a time. However, most restaurants have licenses where you can have as many as you want at a time.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    thank you so so much for these recommendations. We will definitely try some of these places. Wife and I are staying in the Hyatt. I go out west for backpacking annually and spent a lot of time in nw Wyoming. This year it's a family vacation . probably won't have time for mt tapanagos, this year anyway . Thanks again for the info. It really helps when your a newby to a vacation site.
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Haven't been there in 20 years, but was absolutely smitten with the place. Ate out every night and never had anything but excellent food. Can't remember the name of a single restaurant.

Planning a trip soon. A sensei I've trained with several times has just retired from the Marine Corps and is moving to Park City to join a law firm there. A family from our synagogue just moved there as well. They are very happy there. Much of the Jewish community in greater SLC lives up in Summit Country. I think it's the only county in the state where Mormons are the minority.
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    Love Park City, but never been there in the summer. Can say that the best Sea Bass I've had was at the Stein Ericksen Lodge, wasn't cheap tho. Agree, most all the pubs on main street are pretty good and never had a problem getting a drink.

As for Stange's post, my neighbor is a Jewish lawyer with a condo in Park City. Just saying....
  9. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +563
    Last year was in SLC for a trade show---so I can't speak for the Park City location per se, but the downtown Red Rock was a great sports bar/brew pub/grille/restaurant. Their own brewed Honey Wheat beer was absolutely amazing....and I was reluctant to even try it as it isn't my typical type of beer. Glad I did--one of the best beers I've ever had. Had several....ok, lots.

Get the onion rings there as well...each ring, beer battered and the size of a lawnmower wheel...HUGE, and the portion size for appetizer is enough for a meal itself. Only $5.99 too. Best 6 bucks you will ever spend.

I can only guess the Park City location is equivalent so I can hardily recommend....nay, I demand you go there and have a Honey Wheat for me!:wink:

http://www.redrockbrewing.com/home

Just for the record--that was my first trip to SLC and found it to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and atmosphere.
  10. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,662
    Shhh. Don't tell anyone!!!!! ;)
  11. utahg8r

utahg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Exactly. It is a gorgeous place. One of the most common stories of people who live here but moved from other places goes like this: "When we moved here we had a 2 (or 3 or 5, whatever) year plan. Get some work experience and move back to Florida (or California, or New York, or whatever). That was 13 (or 15 or 20, etc. etc.) years ago."

The same applies to the wife and I. We moved for work in 1999. We wanted to stay through the Olympics in 2002 and move back. Just can't seem to do it. It's amazing here. Unparalleled hiking, biking, skiing. Food scene is off the charts. Counterculture (if you're into that thing) is strong. Local music scene is very, very good. Art scene is equally as good. We're within 4 hours drive of 5 National Parks, and 6 hours drive from another. Plus, 5.5 hours drive from Vegas!

Anyway, enjoy your visit to Park City. You'll find plenty to do and the hiking up there is good. You'll be able to find trailheads easily. I spend quite a bit of time mountain biking in PC, so I know the area well. Feel free to contact me if you want more info on the trails, etc.
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    piggy back question...how does a cheapskate take his family snow-skiing?

I can get the airfare, the car, the condo taken care of but how do you avoid the average $100/day/person cost for the gear and the lift tickets. is there a way???
    • Like Like x 2
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912
    Hard to do. If you can get comped in Europe, lift tickets there are cheaper...
  14. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
  15. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,662
    I would say stay in Salt Lake City, as opposed to Park City. Lots of good deals in Salt Lake for hotels, and if you want, you can stay either downtown Salt Lake or near the resorts. Park City offers the traditional ski resort town feel, but Salt Lake still offers the luxury of being in a major city. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Also, the ski resorts up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude, Brighton, Alta and Snowbird) are cheaper than Park City, and offer much better quality of snow and skiing IMO. On a snow day, Park City may only receive 6" of snow, while the resorts up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon receive over a foot. I also believe the terrain is is much better. The only day I would avoid is Saturday, when all of the locals head up. Otherwise, you pretty much have the mountain to yourself without any lines.

You can buy ski passes to all of the ski resorts up Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon at local ski rental shops or even grocery stores for a big discount.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    Yea, we went to Solitude one year during the week and it was much cheaper than Park City. The place was well named...great skiing but no night life and only 1 or 2 restaurants. Got a little eerie a couple of times, skiing all by ourselves. You also need to keep an eye on the weather reports, we came within an hour of getting snowed in and missing our flight out.
    Obviously, you would want to avoid peak season, Christmas holidays, spring break, etc. And skiing on the east coast is cheaper, tho once you've gone West you wont want to come back.
  17. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +713
    park city is awesome. park silly on sundays is really fun- wasatch brewery is a great place to get some high gravity beers. no name saloon on main is a cool little bar- check out the belt-driven fans. lots of hiking and the alpine slide is fun, as someone already mentioned. enjoy
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +523
    I've been to most resorts in Utah and the four resorts in the two Cottonwood canyons are the best. They're not overly large but they have great snow. The cheaper of the four are the Big Cottonwood Canyon resorts, Solitude and Brighton. You can buy joint passes for those two since they adjoin but it's not worth it. They're both big enough to keep you entertained for an entire day or trip.

I think Alta and Snowbird in Little Cottonwood canyon are better but they're more expensive and more crowded despite being larger. You can also buy joint passes for the two resorts but not worth it in my opinion. Also, keep in mind that Alta and Deer Valley do not allow snowboarders.

I always stay in SLC for cheaper rates. You can be to the Cottonwood resorts in less than 30 minutes from most hotels in SLC.

You may consider going from mid January to late February. The resorts (at least on technical terrain) tend to be rocky and can wreck havoc on your gear. Trust me, I know.
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +523
    I just wanted to add, they have great snow most of the time. I just like to go between Christmas/New Years and spring break.
  20. viningsgator

viningsgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    We visit my sister every year who lives in the nearby Wausatch Mountains. The snow at Snowbasin and Powder Mountain during February can't be beat.