Parent's Letter to Editor about FSU and Jameis.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by RayGator, May 14, 2014.

1. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    Wednesday 5.14.2014. The Lakeland Ledger www.theledger.com
    Editorial Page, Letters to the Editor.

>> FSU's Heisman Trophy Winner Is Nothing but a Common Thief.

During my daily coffee stop at RaceTrac recently, I spoke with one of Polk County's finest. I asked him if I were to steal $30 worth of merchandise from Publix, would I get a citation or the cuffs? His answer: the cuffs.

Recently my 15 year old daughter and I sat down to discuss college. She expressed a desire to attend the University of Florida, the University of Miami or Florida Srate University.

I told her that FSU is no longer on the list. When she asked why, I told her that if something bad was to happen to her in Tallahassee, the police are not there to protect her on her rights. They are there to assist the football team in whatever capacity possible.

In his brief statement, FSU quarterback Jameis Winston spoke about being only 20 years old. To blame your mistakes on your young age is getting very tiring. It seems to be the popular excuse these days.

There are 18 year-year-old men and women being shot at every day overseas. Most 20-year-olds are not thieves. Most 20-year-olds are not accused of most of the things that Winston has been accused of.

To walk out of a Publix with a cart of groceries and say you forgot to pay for the case of water underneath is possible. To place a special order and then walk out without paying is theft, plain and simple.

Congrats FSU, your Heisman Trophy winner is nothing more than a common thief.

X X
    Lakeland, Florida. <<

X X I thought it best not to print the name of the letter writer. A concern for him and he did mention a 15 year old daughter. There are a lot of mean people out there. I know on here Growl posted about not posting pictures of the alleged rape victim by Jameis. So, I didn't do this.

No doubt most think the conduct of Jameis is only of interest to sport fans, ESPN and similar media. But as the letter indicates there are others, especially parents with daughters and sons who will soon be attending colleges, that certainly pay attention to these episodes by Winston and how the Tallahassee police and FSU chose to handle them.

And I sure agree with the writer about "youth" being used by a "20 year old" no less, as an excuse is ridiculous. A high school teen is a youth. And college football players are not "kids" either. Coaches have it right when they refer to them as "young men". And by far most all of these young men act in a positive manner. Just very few do not.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Good find, Ray. I have an eleven year-old that wouldn't dream of stealing anything from another person or a store. If someone is 20 years old and doesn't understand that, he/she probably never will.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,206
    If I had a daughter there is no way I'd let her go to school in Tallahassee.
    When I was 5 and tried on a belt in a store and walked out with my Mom without her knowing until we got to the car, I learned that stealing wasn't right when she made me go in to the store to apologize and return the belt.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,148
    I disagree. He is not a common thief. He is an exceptional thief. And it's law enforcement that is making the exception(s) for him. Raping and pillaging probably is a good time for men without consciences. And I'll bet it's even more fun when you have state-sponsorship.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,226
    As someone who is outright censored by the Tally Democrat letters section for my conservative AND pro-UF views, let me just say I can imagine how many hate e-mails this person has already received for writing that letter.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    It's funny how in Gainesville the athletes get arrested just for freaking standing there (well, maybe an occasional bark-back at a police dog) and in Tally you can pretty much do anything. I just hope the poor rape victim has a case in civil court. Too bad cuz that Winston kid is so talented and he'll do well in the NFL but then comes the humility and role-modeling...or not. "hey, I can rape, be an a-hole and a taker and I'm gonna be rich too" When people make the big bucks it short-changes their opportunity to to evolve-unless the evolution started beforehand. Just saying...
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    He's worried about the police protecting his daughter's rights but he'll keep Miami on the list? That makes sense.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorright

gatorright Member

Ratings Received:
    +27
    The students at scum aren't quite the same ilk as the "fans" at the games...

And yes, Malscott...it appears that Winston has missed his window to obtain any level of moral compass calibration outside of incarceration...thug, thief, rapist...a ten year old's set of ethics in a very large man's body...and he is in an institution of "higher learning"...how ironic that the refsu'ers defend him as the face of their university! I applaud their every move! When something he does impacts one of their daughters or sons they'll be baying for his head despite the "school affiliation", and get the same cold shoulder from the rest of the criminole apologists.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  9. proud_poppa

proud_poppa Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    I just wonder what the father of Winston's girlfriend thinks about the punk his daughter has been dating? Then again, he may just fully understand that his daughter is a "cleat chaser" and will never be anything on her own... Sorry, but I have a 17 YO daughter and would NEVER let such a person be allowed to see, let alone be alone with MY daughter!
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    Dude's a ticking time bomb. One bad decision after another and he's getting away with it. Reminds me of a certain former New England TE, to a smaller scale.
  11. horanic

horanic Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +276
    Smaller scale for now...give him time and youll change your tune. It is inevitable.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    TICK TOCK TICK TOCK
  13. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    That is right.... with Shameious...
    It is not if...
    It is when.

And even if he gets into the NFL... I for one will be ever so interested to see how his career pans out.
    Just a matter of time with him.
    In the meantime... the FSU faithfull continue to coddle him, make excuses for him and allow him to go untouched in spite of his wanton behavior.
    And this is just NOT the coaching staff and the AD at FSU...
    Sadly, this is the majority of the FSU fanbase. They see nothing wrong here.
    Sounds like an old record to me....
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    That letter most certainly wasn't written to the Tallahassee paper, that was to the local Lakeland paper.

The writer would have had his home address and contact info published in tally so that the local torches and pitchforks could be mobilized for a raid.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    They'll never want to understand it because it goes against their entitled narrative.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,672
    It's not the Christian thing to do to wish bad things on people but anytime I hear, see, or think of Winston....I sin.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    Agree he's not a common thief. Too stupid to rate that. Not having a conscience and being stupid are two things that he'll find very difficult to overcome. I'm confident that someone like this isn't going to have an easy go of it in the long run. All he had to do was say he did the wrong thing, admit it, say he was profoundly sorry and not have his dumb ass dad come off as an equally deficient tool. He didn't do that. His coach could have reduced the damage and publicly stated he was on thin ice, reinforced proper behavior from his team, and gotten away with not doing a damn thing. They're both stupid. Look at the comments on the recent USA article - anyone outside the FSU bubble knows "making a bad decision" is about the dumbest thing you could say after getting caught stealing red-handed on video. A small time school is going to be full of small time thinkers with a small time, insulated view of reality. This is one of those times we need to appreciate our institution and resolve to remain better than this. We've had folks on here lament the fact that we got rid of Cam Newton. We did the right thing. I'll always regret that Aaron Hernandez ever stepped foot on UF's campus - but I've not heard of one thing we did to enable him. If anything, it seems his time at UF gave him a chance to overcome what he is.

This all makes FSUs natty much easier to endure. If they had won it with someone like Charlie Ward or Warrick Dunn - that would have been a bitter pill. I don't know how they could have come off looking more like the whores they are and it looks likely there will be more... We'll see.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    And I say all that from the perspective of being convinced that he raped that girl and got away with it (with despicable help) and seems to be an all around, sack of $hit representative of the human race. I know there are many FSU fans that would agree with that but don't feel they are free to admit it.
  19. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    I just read this on warchant:

"Choirboys don't win championships."
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    Tim Tebow's picture is in Webster's attached to the definition of "choirboy" and "champion".
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2