Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Papa John's Founder Quits As Chairman After Using Racial Slur During Conference Call

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Well stated. I went to look for what he said about the NFL. Nothing even remotely racists there, just blamed the sales drop on NFL players protesting the anthem.

Saying the word ni*$&% isn't racist and doesn't make you one. He was stating what someone else use to call blacks.

I read a Yahoo article about this Irish lady who spent a year travelling America and listed 20-25 things she noticed here versus her time in Europe. I think her biggest gripe is Americans are too damn sensitive and offended way too easily.

I get the feeling this guy may just want out and start enjoying his money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds like a former Gator coach I know of.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I have a hard time believing the guy who absolutely has to be in every single one of his commercials really wants out to enjoy his money in nondescript private life.

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's still a ridiculously dumb comment for an executive/CEO/chairman to make. You are being far to generous.

On the level of Spicey's "it's not like Hitler gassed anybody". I have no doubt Spicer wasn't actually trying to excuse Hitler, he was just an idiot. Yet I'd expect a CEO making a "Hitler wasn't such a bad guy" remark on an open conference call would have a similar result to these statements; which essentially boils down to - "well, "n****" don't have it as bad as they used to".

5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The guy had a franchisee who as a quarterback was 0-4 vs the Gators, how smart can he be?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Are you talking about Sean Spicer? Spicer said that?

7. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah, particularly since the call was about teaching him specifically to handle controversy and racial sensitivity in a role playing situation. Saying "you people have never had it so good" doesn't seem like the best way to handle said controversy. I mean, I definitely think the guy is a racist goon, but whatever you want to believe, he clearly isn't even willing to learn or try to go through the motions on this stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is Louisville going to have to rename their football stadium?

9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I was going off memory, this was in response to the Syrian chemical attacks, his exact quote was "We had someone as despicable as Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons". Then when asked to clarify, he initially made an even dumber comment “He was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing".

So yeah, he said that, guess he forgot the Nazi's methods of extermination - or maybe he figured since it happened in gas chambers it didn't count or something.

10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Spicer was a pathetic stooge. He showed how much integrity he had at what I believe was his first WH press briefing, when he came out and read a statement that Trump had the biggest inauguration crowd in history, then walked out without taking questions. Obviously he had a choice. Read the BS statement or quit. Some people just have to sacrifice their self-respect (if they have any) to keep a job, if that's their choice.

11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Anytime someone essentially says "so what you are staying is", no, that's not what he is saying.

He didn't call anyone a name. He said Colonel Sanders the KFC guy used to call blacks that. He used the word and the rate we are going people will think its worthy of jail time.

12. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Its my understanding that Papa, and not Papa John's the company has the naming rights. He could literally change the name to whatever he wants now if he's so inclined.

13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

Dropping "N" bombs is never ok under any circumstances. It is also not OK to excuse it or condone it in any way.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information Swimmin with bowlegged women Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty dumb and callous move even if the reference was directed towards historical racism rather than the active promulgation of white supremacy. Though it does raise the question: is there any context in which white people can utter the n-word, or reference it directly rather than indirectly? Comedians for instance. The answer seems to be becoming "no", though I wonder if we've reached peak triggering and the only place to go from here is down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry I misspelled it, I went ahead and corrected it.

16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah... but that's true of every press secretary in this administration. They take the job knowing they have to lie repeatedly every time they step in front of a mic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    I mean, using the word probably makes a good headline, but the story here is basically that he was asked to role play a situation where he's handling questions about racial sensitivity, and he not only drops the n-word, but basically displays no racial sensitivity at all. So, we can probably put "handling a hypothetical PR question about race with concerned board members" as an inappropriate time to drop racial slurs, regardless of context. Like if my employer asked me to do a role play in which I deal with customer service and I start saying how other companies used to call their customers idiots and wondering why we need to improve our customer service. At the very least, they'd probably think I wasn't approaching the exercise with any kind of seriousness or good faith, whatever my motivations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Hard to argue with this post, but the question remains. Is there any context where it is appropriate for white people to utter the word itself?

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    That's easy.

No.

20. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Comedians? Academic setting? Seminar? Legal proceedings? Singing along with rap songs?

• Like Like x 1