Panera CEO tries food-stamp challenge, lives on $4.50 a day

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +992
    You read it this week or 6 months ago? Dated March 11.

Amongst Rosenbaum's(who after reading through her other articles on the site, clearly is a huge proponent and supporter of SNAP) words I saw this, "The recent growth in SNAP spending is temporary. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) predicts that SNAP spending will fall as a share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in coming years as the economy recovers and the Recovery Act provisions end. SNAP is expected to return to 1995 levels as a share of GDP by 2019. Over the long term, SNAP is not growing faster than the overall economy and thus is not contributing to the nation’s long-term fiscal problems."

When do these programs ever reduce their spending or size? I mean, does that ever even happen? I realize this is from the CBO, but that seems very unlikely. Especially recently, haven't all of these programs only grown significantly recently?

This article reads like a brochure selling SNAP as opposed to an unbiased source carefully talking about the ups and downs of the program. The entire thing is just a sales pitch. The lady is seemingly qualified, but this thing is not encouraging as an unbiased piece of work.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,472
    I didn't say it was published this week, just that I read it this week.
  3. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    What's the point of quoting an extreme Left-leaning think tank? Is it any surprise that it believes SNAP is efficient?

Here's some Right-leaning think tanks that think differently:

Heritage Foundation
    Cato Institute

Or, we could simply provide some evidence of the fraud that goes on constantly:

USDA didn't properly oversee SNAP retailer abuse, IG report saysSeveral Charged With Food Stamp Fraud After Raid At Detroit’s Eastern Market
    Quincy storeowner sentenced to 2-plus years prison for EBT fraud
    U.S. Attorney for R.I. says businesses stole $3 million via food stamp fraud
    California faulted for food stamp fraud enforcement
    North Providence man charged for food stamp fraud

I could keep listing article after article showing all the fraud that happens constantly on the SNAP program, but I'll just leave you with one of my favorites:

Obama Express Owner Accused of Food Stamp Fraud
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +891
    If they didn't want to live on food stamps they would do better for themselves. If they can't do better what's the answer, that they are paid well to do nothing? Is the CEO's point that we should actually give more to food stamp recipients?
  5. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264
    I've had two neices and a nephew raised from birth to adulthood by two sisters-in-law exclusively on welfare. If you honestly think welfare is only $4.50 a day, you're an idiot.