Panera CEO tries food-stamp challenge, lives on $4.50 a day

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,067
    Well, you can win a bundle of coupons from those online penny auctions. Of course you need Internet access, money to buy the initial bids, enough time to use them strategically, and a significant amount of luck to win them. So yeah, this is also an option for people who aren't poor. Carry on.
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    They probably dumpster dive to get all the bread that gets thrown out behind his restaurants.
  3. ATLitigator

ATLitigator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    the real problem here is that no one wants to address the real issue... which is preserving political power

food stamps is giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    Sec *8 housing-- giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    welfare-- giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    ADC --giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    cellphone program -- giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    medicare -- giving a fish, not teaching to fish
    and there are hundreds more that I am missing....

why does the govt spend hundreds of billions giving away fish when they can teach you to fish for a minute fraction of that...?

if people don't need the govt fish, then they don't need the govt

and this is not limited to social issues (back off lefties)

why is tax code 10k plus pages...giving away fish
    what would happen if every person and business just paid 15% no exceptions
    tax breaks, subsidies to build, subsidies not to farm... fish, fish fish

until we take back our govt...its all just fishing stories
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    Yeah, lets start with the poorest in our nation and see what else we can do to make their lives worse. Damn poor people wanting food and shelter and stuff they can't afford. Might cost a rich man another box of cigars...

You can teach people how to fish, but many who are grade school just need a meal, not a lesson in being what you wish they were. Most poor people already fish to supplement their diet. They know how to fish, and yet need bread and milk also.

One thing for sure, the reaction to hungry is get food any way you can. You only make the quality of life for all worse, when you increase the desperation that gets your old lady robbed each time she goes to the store to fill up on food items.

We threw billions away to build things in Iraq... yet some prefer that than making sure a kid gets to eat today in this nation.
  5. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Yes poor unemployed folk don't have the time to be frugal.
  6. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,199
    Tats ain't cheap!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Carry on.
  7. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +945
    Trust me I know. Those have been on the back burner too. Haven't had any ink done in about a year. They were the first expense to go. :(

Sent from my mind using ESP
  8. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    All or nothing is not the answer.

Limiting items to be bought to basic food and soap/toothpaste, is the first step.

Second is having a matching ID along with an embossed card bearing the name of the card owner.

No cigs, no beer. And then give them the same money as it will still be hard as hell to eat more than beans and rice at the level.

You can't use the teach them the fish thing, if you are also cutting out education programs that teach at the same time...
  9. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Good luck there.
  10. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Oh, SNAP! Somebody done read what the initials of SNAP stand for! And they know what "Supplemental" means. This is bad news.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't have a problem with WIC or SNAP if they restricted it to the following:

Fresh or canned fruits and vegetables, including unprocessed potatoes
    Whole chickens, 2+ lb packages of pork, hot dogs, catfish and tilapia
    2+ lb bags of rice
    whole wheat bread and hot dog buns
    milk, margarine, American cheese, 18+ carton of eggs
    64+ oz. vegetable oil for cooking

Processed food by exception only:
    16+ oz. ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise
    16+ oz. cereals (with less than the average amount of sugar)
    1+ lb package of noodles
    canned tuna fish
    1+ lb packaged turkey or ham lunch meat
    2+ lb jars of peanut butter and jelly

There is no need to have poor people eating pizza, TV dinners, potato chips, cookies and crackers, cakes or anything else that is going to make them fat, give them diabetes or heart problems. (Note: they can still get fat on the hot dogs, but they have to REALLY like hot dogs.) They can buy that crap on their own dime.
  11. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Trust a liberal to deflect from those poor beknighted street people who have NO money. Just like a jackass to ignore the VAST majority of people on the program who could benefit from this. Most of them have the free Obama cell phones and can get on the web. Ever heard of the library, where you can get on the web? Ever heard of getting the paper the convenience stores are throwing out for coupons? What about the neighbors who do not use them? Why can't your same poor benighted brethren ask to get their coupon pages.

There are numerous ways in which to get these coupons, but you, with your condescending, liberal bias choose to say that it is too much work, for those who have 24 hours in a day in which they do nothing, to actually do something that might, just might, allow them to have more food on the table.

You sir, are the epitamy of a liberal, with your nose in the air for anything that reeks of having to make those who mooch off the government have to do anything other than line up for their monthly bribes (i.e. welfare checks, food stamps, etc.)
  12. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Anstro, if buying 55 tubes of toothpaste and 70 bottles of mustard allow you to build up enough overage (i.e. store credits) to pay for the fresh fruits, vegetables and meat without having to actually spend a dime in the store, then how is this a bad thing? You don't have to keep the toothpaste or mustard. You can give them away or just throw them away. The point is that by doing this, you can acquire the food you need to survive.

Hell, you can then even start your own store with the excess you bought, charge less than the grocery stores, and MAKE money on this plan in two ways (food and selling excess product).

I am explaining a way for people to be able to buy their groceries for free (or near free). If you do not like doing this, that's your privilege. But, to say it is over the top because you can not think of ways to actually profit from it or figure out what to do with the excess, unwanted items, is foolish. Many will be able to figure out what to do with it, even if it is to just distribute it to homeless shelters, food kitchens, charity, etc.
  13. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    My food budget a month, with my wife, is 450$. That is 7.50$. I guess that 3 dollars is huge. My brother and his wife a kid get $559 a month. They have the most stocked pantry Ive ever seen.
  14. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Anyone mention the UnConstitutionality of Food Stamps, not to mention the bull crap agency in the first place? Naw, what fun would that be...
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  16. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
  17. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    Insure domestic tranquility, promote the general welfare. You know, the whole starving peasants thing hasn't gone over well in history.
  18. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I'm just telling you it's been discussed many times before by Constitutional judges, experts and scholars. I wouldn't describe myself as such and ... just a guess ... you probably aren't one either.
  19. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Just so you know, WIC already does this.

WIC users also have to show a WIC ID in addition to the actual voucher when they purchase their food items.

What I don't understand is why there are suck MASSIVE differences between the two programs.

WIC is very well run. The beneficiaries are extremely limited in what they can buy and where they can buy their foods. And they are required to show identification.

On the other hand, SNAP is run horribly. You can buy virtually anything including lobsters, McDonalds, and Monster Energy drinks. You need no identification -- just an EBT car and PIN.

I wouldn't be nearly as angry at the ballooning size of SNAP if it was actually run like WIC.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I read something kind of interesting about SNAP this week:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3239