Oversigning and Alabama

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatorlaw15, Jan 30, 2014.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I recall ESPN did a story on the oversigning and forcing out players from programs about two or three years ago. It focused on an LSU quarterback but it also talked about Alabama.
    If I were Muschamp, I would negative recruit the hell out of that. Certainly they must. I'm not a fan of negative recruiting, but this is a different animal all together. This is simply telling kids that "Hey, your scholly is year to year with Bama or LSU or Tennessee or whoever else. With us, we make a four-year commitment to you."
    That being said (and correct me if I'm wrong and it has changed), all athletic scholarships are technically one year and renewable each year. I don't think there is a such thing as a "Four Year Athletic Scholarship." It is basically up to the athletic program to continue to grant you the scholarship each year.

I think another interesting thing to question is how this actually works in practice during recruiting. Does Saban go to some kids, like the Five Stars and the more highly recruited kids and say "Look, you have a four-year scholarship with us (or five if the player redshirts). Don't worry about it."
    And with lower-ranked kids does he say "Look, I think you have potential and I think you can be a great player for us. I really need you to come to Bama but this scholarship is on a year-to-year basis. You have to earn it. You do what you're supposed to do and continue to move up the depth chart and help our team and do all the steroids we prescribe to you (jk about that last one), you will be on scholarship the next year."

I'm just curious as to how upfront he is with the kids on this. I would have less of an issue if his approach was transparent, though I still don't think it is the most ethical way to run a program.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1