Our under appreciated difference maker and why I'm optimistic for 2013!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Aug 29, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    There are many in the media that seem oblivious to a vital reason the Gators prevailed in close games last season. In particular A&M, LSU and FSU come to mind. All of which could have easily ended up as losses. All three had comparable if not superior talent to us and were in the game up until the end. So what made UF win? Our play calling.

Simply put we have Will Muschamp at the helm. Our head coach took a team that no one expected much from in 2012 and delivered eleven wins against the toughest schedule in the nation. It's also the one factor that explains the recent Longhorn slide into mediocrity. Mack Brown got all the praise and was in the limelight, but it was Will's defense that made the difference in the Texas success.

As the ultimate Gator decision maker both on offense and defense Will made the calls that played to our strengths while controlling the football. Those that were obsessed with wide open offenses were critical, but our defense,kickers,our ground game and lack of turnovers controlled the clock denying our opponents the win. A very large part of our success as a team was due to our very intelligent and experienced coach Will Muschamp!
  2. GatorBill96

GatorBill96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    One of the things I loved about last year's team, more so than in any recent memory, was the ability of the team to make adjustments at the half and as the game played out. In most of our big victories, we absolutely dominated the fourth quarter and imposed our will on our opponents. It is much more fun being on the other side of a strong 4th quarter.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,793
    Truth.

With this coach, there won't be any games like the "Choke at Doak" or the collapse against scUM under Zook.
  4. ACCecil

ACCecil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    I think pundits are having a hard time predicting how well this year's UF team will do because UF almost lost to BG and ULL-L and got blown out by LOU. UF is a hard team to read, much of the resume was impressive, beating So Car, LSU, TXAM, Tenn and FSU, but there were some hard to explain pot holes.

How much would Gator fans love Coach M. if ULL-L or BG had won? How much would Gator fans buy into the style of play UF has if that had happened?

I get the feeling those games were just anomalies. I get the feeling UF is way better than the pundits think and I think UF wins the SEC East and beats Tenn, Vandy, UGA, USCe and everyone else in the East. UF did have great halftime adjustments and play calling, let me take that back, I am not sure the play calling was great, but it was effective. If you guys found something that worked, like the unbalanced line against FSU, you'd just keep doing it until the defense stopped it which FSU never did. That is effective play calling.

If you beat Miami, I think you'll have a great year. If Miami wins, you'll have a good year. I do not think it will be a bad year unless something catastrophic happens like Driskel gets hurt or you lose 2-3 more OL men.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    I think winning close games is a better indicator of how good a team is than losing to Lou. As an example, during this years tourney run in bball, all the talking heads wanted to say in regards to UF is that we don't/haven't won close games and they saw that as a weakness. I think we improve on winning close games and start winning bigger as time goes on. Muschamp is building a really good team.
  6. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    My only real question with Muschamp, is how invested he actually is in the University of Florida.

He's a brilliant, proven defensive mind. He also is proving that he can build a team with elite talent with players that buy into his brand. Last year he proved that he lead Florida to tough wins, in tough environments, over some pretty tough teams.

He's clearly working with the right stuff. The NFL, however, will come calling if he has the kind of year four I'm thinking his team will be capable of having. What will he do then?
  7. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Muschamp never panicked. He always had a contingency plan. Halftime interviews with Muschamp always displayed confidence & his responses to reporters who asked why we were behind were always something like "we know what's going wrong & there's no problem."
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Probably leave, as well he should. I think the days of long-tenured coaches are pretty much done. It is too difficult to retain good assistants, too much of a hassle dealing with the media and with administrative responsibilities, and too time consuming to manage recruiting year round now. Coaches either burn out (Meyer), get fired (Zook), or look for a different challenge (Spurrier).

If I were Muschamp and could pull off a national title within 5-6 years, then get a position in the league, I would probably take it.
  9. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    Yup. Our best bet to see any sort of continuity is likely to hire an established candidate with a Florida degree.

Here's a name to keep an eye on: Mike Peterson. That's a guy I seriously hope takes a long look at the idea of coaching once he hangs it up for good.
  10. Jrok79

Jrok79 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I don't think Muschamp is going anywhere. He really likes leading young men, and he's already tasted the NFL some. I also think he is a true Gator because he grew up in Gainesville and went to all the games as a kid, plus he loves his family and that his kids get to play at the same places he did. I say Muschamp is a 10+ year guy at UF. If he has major success, it could be longer as he now has something to chase (Saban's record).
  11. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    While posters above made many good points that are well taken, Muschamp strikes me as a coach that has learned his craft from the best in the business. Certainly his ex-boss, Nick Saban has enjoyed his National Championships at Bama while making a boatload of money and shows no signs of leaving the success he has made there. Seeing this and providing our administration treats Will well I believe he stays put for the next several years.
  12. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5

If we lose to Miami- its a really, bad sign- they have talent but it should hit our strengths- secondary and pass rush, as opposed to our possible weaknesses in run support.
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    I called the Miami game a toss up for several reasons, but IMHO the Gators should win. Why is that? Because barring unforeseen circumstances we will control the ball and win time of possession.
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    The problem, though, are the "unforeseen circumstances" you speak of. Miami's going to come out fired up, you better believe that. ESPN is going to do everything in it's power to make sure we all know that this is Miami's moment to get back to becoming a power. You want to avoid the early storm.

Say they come out on their opening drive, march right down the field, and make it 7-0. You have to avoid fumbling the kickoff, or throwing an early interception that gives them the ball back deep in our own territory. The last thing we want in this game is to be digging ourselves out of a hole for four quarters.

It starts with containing Duke Johnson. Make Stephen Morris beat you. I don't care what they're saying about that kid, I'm not sold that he's an elite QB. Constantly keep them in second and third-and-long situations. And we need to be smart with the football.

That's going to be a fun game to watch.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,983
    Fortunately, our strength was avoiding those sorts of turnovers.

I completely agree here. As I said in our other discussion about Toledo, our run fits could be a work in progress while adjusting to some new personnel, schemes, and positions in the box. Johnson is really a tough dude to get your hands on and we desperately need to be in position to contain him.

Morris and their receivers really don't terrify me as much. They were pretty successful at times throwing the bad defenses, but they lost Fisch and his replacement is installing a new offense. Even at their best, I would still take our secondary and pass rush against them.
  16. tideroller

tideroller Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    To me, as an outsider, the biggest key to UF's season is how quickly the JUCOs and other new faces on the OL gel. I think of the OL (especially in SEC games) as akin to a strong starting rotation in baseball. No matter how mundane the rest of your line-up is, a strong OL can keep you in games. And even the most ardent Gator homer has to admit the Gator offense is full of question marks at the skill positions. It could very well be the MVP of the UF offense this year may be wearing a sixty- or seventy-something on his jersey.
  17. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +479
    You know, I understand the "Miami's going to come out fired up" thought but I just don't see it applying for 60 minutes. Having a team "fired up" will only be favorable for the entire game if the other team is just not into it....see last year's Sugar Bowl. Florida will be just as much into this game as Miami will be so I just don't see that being a factor. Florida is the more talented team as far as depth and should be able to wear them down. I just don't see Miami pulling the upset here.
  18. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +695
    We should wear the Canes down on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Depth is not something Miami possesses in abundance and we have that edge. Of course if it becomes a track meet early then all bets are off. However, I have confidence that our defense and special teams will keep that from happening. Toledo is the game that we must win to start off on the right foot.
  19. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
    A loss to Toledo wouldn't be starting off on the wrong foot. It would be amputating a foot.
  20. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I agree with you, and I do think Florida is going to settle down and play quality football in that game. My only point is that you want to avoid early mistakes that force you to have to battle all game with a team that's clearly going to come out looking to make a statement. Any fumble, false start, drive-killing hold that's called, or stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called for a late hit out of bounds is going to keep the energy circulating throughout that stadium for four quarters if Florida can't play disciplined football. Yeah, Florida didn't throw a bunch of picks and lose a bunch of fumbles last season, but it couldn't control itself before the snap. That's not going to fly against Miami.

A lot of that can be avoided by simply playing smart. And you shut a crowd up by grinding out long drives, pounding it for four or five yards a clip between the tackles, not fumbling away opportunities, NOT making mistakes, and putting the ball over the goal line when you get your opportunities.

This Gator team can do that. And if it can force Morris to beat them with his arm by not allowing Johnson to act up for four quarters, I like the Gators in this one.