Our Previous OL Coaches

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by ArtDeco, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +524
    We all saw the problem begin under the Addazio tutelage. At the time, we all thought, WTH? Can these big 300 pounders not block?
    If I recall, he was replaced by a Frank Verducci. My memories of Frank V were of having a front row seat at the FL-GA game listening to him chew out the OL (I specifically remember him tearing Patchan and Halapio a new one), saying stuff like "I don't care how you 'did' it before, you're going to do this my way dammit if you want to play". I knew then and there we had an o-line issue.
    Not sure if we had another guy in-between but I believe the new guy is Tim Davis? Do we know anything about this coach? Is it possible all 3 of them suck, or is it more possible that the same guys who didn't get it then are still not getting it now? And if so, why no Koehne, Silberman, Thurman? Have any of you guys ever seen Silberman? I wouldn't want to line up against him.
  2. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Verducci was a transplant from Notre Lame when we hired the Cheeseburger. From what I read, the Domers were thrilled to get rid of the pair.

Da Dazzler wasn't bad when he was ONLY the OL coach. Its when he started being the OL/OC/HC simultaneously that things fell apart at the seams.
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
  4. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Adazzio was a good o-line coach...our o-line problems began when he began calling plays and filling in for Meyer; I guess he just couldn't walk and chew at the same time. Everything since has been downhill.
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Bring back Jimmy ray Stevens ;)
  6. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +543
    Foley needs to throw some money at Stanford's o-line coach.
  7. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I think one of our problems is that we try to do things on the cheap too much...When was the last time Florida brought in a bit time assistant or position coach (please don't say Weiss)?
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Joker Phillips is pretty big time for WRs, no?
  9. jbaker07

jbaker07 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    As I recall, Brent Pease was Saban's primary target to replace Jim McElwain two seasons ago. So between Phillips and Pease, those are two top-end assistant coaches on the Gators staff. So I wouldn't exactly say that Florida is going "cheap," or doesn't have quality assistant coaches on staff.
  10. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Uhh! Stanford lost to an unranked Utah team this week, and had 143 yds rushing against a PAC12 defense.
  11. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I would say that the DL coach is pretty big time as well.

I think Champ has built a very good staff. I hope for continuity.

Year four is the time to make evaluations across the board.
  12. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +770
    When the time comes for a change at OL coach--you have the right idea. I found this link a minute ago....didn't know he is coaching at Defuniak Springs Walton HS now.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20120825/articles/120829687?p=1&tc=pg

BUT an interesting comment he made in that interview...."Stephens could give no indication of what his future holds or how long he plans to stay at Walton. He also did not rule out a return to college at some point, saying that although the chances are slim, he would relish an opportunity to eventually return to the University of Florida.

“Good Lord, that would be my ideal job,” he said with a little extra excitement in his voice. “I just thought I would have retired there, because it just seemed like a natural fit. Once a Gator, always a Gator. I would love to have that opportunity again, but I know how it works in this business, so there is a very low percentage chance of that happening.”

Gainesville and the time he spent there still hold a special place in Stephens' heart.
    "

As I said--IF there is a change coming (not saying there should be yet--just saying)....Will would do himself a favor and take a look at JRS.
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    Kim Helton is the OC at UAB. Bring him in. Can't imagine a position at UAB, even if it is a coordinator position is more attractive than a position coach at UF. If he was good enough to be OL coach for Spurrier with the Redskins, he's good enough to be OL coach here.
  14. gatorlaw71

gatorlaw71 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    I always remember Jimmy Ray saying: "What gets practiced gets perfected."

When I'd go watch practice, Jimmy Ray would have the linemen on the far practice field going through blocking assignments against all the different defensive fronts.

SOS would be running 7 on 7 drills over and over on the near practice field.

No wonder we were good at the passing game.

I remember going to the 1991 State Championship game to get a look at Danny Wuerffel QB Stephens' Fort Walton Beach team. I'd never seen a high school team run so many formations, and they executed them all perfectly. They looked like a pro offense, except that Stephens' team also ran some option. It was an awesome display from a high school team. I thought they were the best coached high school team I'd ever seen. I still think so.

That's saying a lot because I've been watching Corky Rogers' teams play high school football in Jacksonville for decades. Rogers holds the record for most wins and most state championships in Florida HS history. He's a great coach. His teams are incredibly fit and execute the Wing-T to perfection. But Stephens' teams also executed their offense perfectly, and it was a complicated multiple formation offense.

Stephens took over a high school team that went 0-10 last year. I just looked up their record this year: 4-2.

Jimmy Ray's a great coach, and one of my all-time favorite Gators.
  15. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    He started at DeFuniak Springs, IIRC. Then came to UF. He coached some great offensive lines.
  16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Careful... you get in trouble with the establishment here by suggesting coaches need to be replaced. :ninja:

But yes, we obviously have an issue at OL coach. This group was absolutely abysmal Saturday.

It's mainly a problem with consistency. Sometimes, these guys play like world beaters, and other times they play like they did last Saturday. It's mind-boggling at times.
  17. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Oh HO! I distinctly remember the howls to dump JR Stephens back in the day.

Either memories are very short, or there are a lot of youngsters on this forum.
  18. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    This, this and more of this. And Meyer was to blame for that debacle, not Addazio.
  19. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +770
    I also remember him having pretty good success here from 1993-2001 as OL coach. At least SOS thought enough of him to keep him around during one of our strongest runs as a program. Won a NC with a very potent passing game during that time.

I tend to think he knows how to coach the OL fairly well. Speaking of howls to dump coaches, there are numerous threads going on as we speak with some 'fans' in here ready to issue the hot seat to Muschamp already. Speaks volumes about how rational 'howls' are. I base my opinion on JRS on historical facts---he knows how to coach an OL.
  20. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    when has that occurred?