Our much maligned passing game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Oct 5, 2013.

1. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,635
    Showers is not the same type of back as the other three. He's more of a scat back. Jones, Brown and Taylor are more bruiser types. Though Jones, I thought, would be a combination of both. I obviously was wrong. Then again, when the box is stacked with 300 guys, hard to break it open.
  2. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +677
    That's the ticket! Perhaps we are waiting to unleash Burton passing out of the WC for an unsuspecting team that we really need a trick play against. Let us get stuffed with the play until then and set us up for one big play against someone when we need it. Burton can't hit the broad side of a barn but with no one expecting him to pass someone is bound to be wide open for him...
  3. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Kinda like last year when his brother was the wide open player and he missed him wide open. I think Burton just needs to hand the ball off to open the play up. Why not run the end around with Burton and Patton being the possible hand off for the end around. Every time you run it you would run it the defense would have to have someone follow Patton and it might would make the play work every now and then if he would hand it off sometimes.
  4. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +677
    That play last year was ugly!

Good point about handing it off. I was hoping that was what he was going to do today.
  5. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    At the end of the day, this offense proved to be anything but dull!
  6. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,265
    Since Murphy is faster, I'd rather he run than to put Burton in there as a tacking dummy. Or else, let Burton throw the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  7. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372
    Halfback option pass from Showers to Patton ? Or somebody ?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    With Murphy the offense is beginning to show an identity through the air with the groumd game only keeping the defense honest

Patton, Dunbar and Burton are consistent making plays w Patton becoming a star

Now if only the ground game showed some explosiveness...this is the opposite of plan for WM and Pease
  9. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    Once he has enough attempts to be included in the national stats..... Tyler Murphy is the 2nd highest rated passer in the nation!

Yes it's a small sample but WOW!
  10. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,372

Seems like the staff could become as acclimated with an explosive back who busts long runs, if they could get one, as they are with the 2.8 yards and cloud of dust, TOP thing we've got going on.
  11. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    With ball control that eats the clock their primary goal,I believe our staff values backs with experience that provide consistent ball security and pass protection over an explosive back that may be deficient in these responsibilities.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,161
    The thing that has impressed me so much about Murphy, and which represents a marked improvement over Driskel with this offensive line, is his ability to move in the pocket with his eyes downfield. How many times has he made an accurate vertical throw doing that when the protection had broken down and his initial reads weren't open? Really, really impressive. It isn't something you can identify as readily in practice because of non-contact rules for quarterbacks, but he has been phenomenal sliding away from the pressure, moving toward the line just enough to freeze zone coverage, and throwing tremendously accurate passes into the pockets. When you have a fairly poor pass protecting line, that makes a huge difference.

Related to that, he has only taken three sacks in eight quarters. Granted, Driskel was much improved prior to that, as well (four sacks in nine quarters), but even the two against Arky came from the league's top pass rushing unit. The other one came against UK, which as I detailed in another thread this week is second in the league in sacks per pass attempt. Murphy has turned possible negative or moot plays into positive gains, often third down conversions.
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,624
    Not only that, of his few incompletions, many were while he was running for his life and he managed to get them in the general direction of the receiver and no where near a defender. The most astonishing thing as I've pointed out in a couple of other threads, Murphy accounted for almost 70% of our yardage passing just 30% of the time. That was with our running game keeping the defense honest at 2.8 yards a carry. The last two weeks, people have been referring to Murphy as a good game manager. I think it's safe to say that he's now carrying this offense on his back. I wouldn't trade him for any QB in the SEC. I don't know how well McCarron would manage an offense with an OL and RBs like UF has.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,161
    Well, Patton has a little to do with that yardage. Runs after the catch were outstanding yesterday (right after I expressed reservation about them!).
  15. docspor

docspor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I can't believe that I am more worried about the running game than the passing game.
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    The problem is our offense thrives, and may be one or the best in the nation, when we utilize a creative running game with a balanced passing attack.

We have the talent across the board, and the production is there.

The problem is the vast majority of the time we go to an unbalanced run heavy, not creative offense that only passes on third and long. That offense doesn't produce anything.

So the complaining is why are we doing so much of the offensive style that produces nothing compared to the one that produces?
  17. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    That's the case with all QBs and all comparative passing yards/ratings. Part of the QB's job is to get it to his receivers so they can do something with it after the catch.
  18. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Exactly. The playmakers are there this year with a QB who can get them the ball. Use them!
  19. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Depth chart in this situation means very little imo just like it meant little when Murphy was 4th behind Brantley, Driskel, and Brissett 2 years ago, and 3rd string last year, and 2nd string to start out this year.

Taylor should at the minimum be able to replicate the mediocre play of Taylor and Brown, but more likely he will be able to out play them by a decent margin.
  20. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Receivers make extra yardage when the QB hits them in stride in front of them. Murphy I always thought should have played instead when Jeff and Jacoby were freshmen. He throws a catchable ball. Not trying to belittle the guys before him, but laser shots all over the place give coaches heart attacks.

Murphy got hit some last night, I was cringing that he might have gotten hurt. I wish there was someone on defense that had the smarts he has to help eliminate unnecessary PF's. We have a bunch of animals, turn em loose, turn em loose as JJ Grey says. Play hard, with passion, but don't get stupid penalties for roughness. If it is close is one thing, trying to hurt someone is another. We are starting to look like thugs on penalties like Poole got thrown out on and Ropo twice hitting late almost on back to back plays. We have a tough defense, not quite as good against the run as last year, but our secondary has some tremendous athletes. Dante Fowler is having a great year and looks very fast. Great to see. LSU is a chance to show the football world we are improving. Beat the Bengal Tigers!