OT: Did Calipari Bite Off More Than He Could Chew?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BengermanV, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    The character problem you're referring to is that Billy has one. You think Calipari has one because he isn't "scum".

Billy D considers coaching to be more than the "one and done" approach Calipari performs. If UK is good with this, you guys enjoy. Just don't say we have a "character" problem because our coach wants to mentor our players in more than just how to make bucks in the NBA.
  2. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    Perhaps it'd be more PC to say something like Billy is having do deal with players who are suffering from issues related to character. That's not an unfair assertion.

To benheb, disciplining players isn't the only way to mentor. I'd never say its not an example of Billy mentoring. However, you cant' state that Cal isn't also mentoring players just because he hasn't had to suspend anyone so far.
  3. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Okay, it may be semantics.

Donovan has removed or suspended players for non-character reasons. So far it is not drugs, it is not character issues, just reasons. I get it.
  4. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    It's because Billy actually cares about the guys on his team as humans and not as pawns to put in the NBA to recruit the next rent-a-players like Cal does. Your coach is scum of the earth and a terrible person with no soul. He turns a blind eye to any misbehavior I have no doubt of this whatsoever. If Billy was coaching the same squads in Lexington there would be suspensions every year for not living the right way and you and rest of big blue nation would be saying who the heck cares after a loss due to missing players. Just win the games Cal we want another title. Enjoy your win at all costs mentality coach and program.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612

You're talking about things that you can't possibly know. Its hard to take you seriously with a view point this slanted.
  6. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Use some common sense. From all accounts last year's Kentucky squad had attitude / entitlement problems and that's why the talent didn't pan out on the court and you were defeated by Robert Morris or whoever in the NIT. If that kind of team dissent was in the Florida locker room you better believe Billy D would be sitting guys and not accepting that crap whereas Cal just let it go and tried to talent his way to wins.
  7. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612
    Your inaccurate view of Kentucky's problems last season aside, you really think Donovan is suspending players for being entitled? If we were somehow omniscient and could look at every detail of Harris, Wilkebin or whoever's life, that we would only see attitude issues? I don't know what they did. But you're telling me there haven't been drug issues or academic issues or some amount of rule breaking?

I suppose you think Donvan has some rule like...the players have to spend at least a certain time eating a meal - lest they end up bloated before practice or a game. Maybe THAT is the rule being broken! I'm not saying UF has bad guys on the team. Just saying data supports the statement Bert made, even if he worded it in a harsh manner.
  8. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,424
    OK Gator folks. You are allowed to voice your opinion of other coaches and players but keep the derogatory personal comments directed at other poster out of it. That is a forum rules violation.
  9. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Yeah so Bert is allowed to say our players have character issues, but when I speak the truth about their scumbag coach on a Gator board, who because of his tactics makes it harder for Billy to do his job, it's an issue? Got it.
  10. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,424
    Reread what I posted. My post was aimed at personal remarks.
  11. twodaparty

Ratings Received:
    +127
    If it's telling him to stuff it what you mean as a personal remark then I will try and refrain from that type of remark in the future. BUT it would be much easier to do so if he wasn't allowed to call our players character issues which in my book is bashing a Gator and against board rules. He has zero personal knowledge about the character of any Gator player. If he wants to call our guys bad character individuals he can go do that on a Kentucky board where I'm sure it will be better received. Just like I won't go to their board and call their scumbag coach a scumbag.
  12. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +456
    Not the only way... I don't think I said that. Your PC assertion is okay with me but I do think Billy has an idea of the type of player he wants on his teams. That type of player is different from what Calipari is looking for IMHO. I won't declare that good or bad but I'll just say I think I prefer Billy's way.
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +682
    twins shouldn't have gone to the same school
  14. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Most of UK's players don't stick around long enough to be suspended. Who knows how many times the Demarcus Cousins or the Harrison twins would have been suspended had they stayed in Lexington for four years?
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +612

This from a blog post written by Julius Randle today:

http://www.coachcal.com/25885/2013/12/words-randle-enjoying-life-road/

Hey, maybe he was coached to write that? Maybe Cal wrote it himself, you know how narcissistic he is.

Players have said this same thing every year though. The number of community outreach things he has these kids do is impressive - even things like how each team has washed the feet of homeless kids. Maybe its all for show - I imagine that's the rationalization that opposing fans have of this stuff.
  16. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +626
    I get pretty pissed off when people talk about Cousins. I wonder how many realize he gave over a million dollars to charity and then this week he took kids from all over Sacramento on a toys r us shopping spree for Christmas. Spew your BS and pissing match at someone else.

Jeff
  17. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    He may be a great guy off the court. I don't know much about his personal life (like BEH has no clue about Wilbekin's or DFS's). He doesn't represent himself well at times on the court, though. Remember this?

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.