Orlando Sentinel: Major Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Nov 24, 2013.

1. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Yeap.
  2. CAGator93

CAGator93 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Home attendance actually might be okay next year with no changes.

Fans of Idaho, Eastern Michigan and Kentucky will probably snap up whatever tickets are out there to get a taste of what it's like to be a real program.

"Come take your photo with your mascot on Florida Field after knocking of the Mighty Gators in the Swamp"

I think tour packages are being finalized now.
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    JD would have made no difference. The coaches are clueless so they told JD to not run which is his strength and sit in the pocket and play like Peyton Manning which was stupid. We lost to Miami because of JD being an interception machine and his only drive vs UT was a pick 6. We probably lose to the vols with JD.

Also Missouri and Vandy both killed us and they had backup freshmen QBs. A 46 scholarship GSU cupcake beat us despite handing the game to us with turnovers and missed opportunities.

We would still have 7 losses with JD possibly 8. WM is terrible.
  4. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    It's hard to get very excited about what we are bringing back. Fowler and VHIII have me excited, Bullard and Taylor should be studs. After that who is going to be an impact player? We don't know what kind of condition any of the guys that got injured will be in when they come back, or at what kind of level they'll play. Getting experience doesn't just make you a great player. We've had all kinds of o-linemen get experience over the last 4 years, many of which supposedly had enormous talent, and we've had no production out of that unit.

Going in to next year we'll have more question marks than any Florida team that I've ever seen. We have entire positions where we don't know if we have players that can compete in the SEC. Right now we're just hoping that the offensive coaching is so god awful that a couple new coaches there will turn it 180 degrees. It's hard for me to fathom that these coaches could possibly be that bad and make it to a place like UF, but maybe they are.

We've seen what LSU can do without a productive QB and it's not pretty. And be honest, nobody would rather face the QBs at Bama, LSU, UGA and USC this year than the question marks they may have next year, plus throw in what might happen at FSU. I'm not saying our schedule is a cakewalk next year, but I'll take it over this years, and swapping Miami for a team as horrible as EMU helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Oh that's right there's next year.... Oh crap!!
  6. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    My point wasn't to make excuses, I'm just pointing out that with a freshman at MLB and a walk on that we shouldn't be too surprised at next weeks outcome if there is a 40 point difference. It is what it is at this point in the season. Next year I hope will be much different. If Muschamp can't get them coached up I'm sure he will be gone and he probably knows that.
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,614
    Jarrad davis...... that's all I have to say....... beast.
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +567
    FINALLY SOME COMMON SENSE!
  9. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +567
    I think so. If a CEO runs a company into the ground, he gets let go, even if he's not the sole reason. Successful companies are ones that can make tough decisions and change with the business climate.
  10. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +567
    I think so. He was leading in QBR until he got hurt against LSU.
  11. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    2016 is the realistic chance of winning the SECCG. By then, Staver or Grier will be in the 2nd season as the starting qb. Mike Gundy will be in his 2nd season as head coach of the Gators that year as well.
  12. ctg4ccie

ctg4ccie New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Wouldn't the CEO be Bernie Machen? But seriously what tough decision did he not make? Do you advocate firing the OC midseason or are you talking about firing BP after the 2012 season and having 3 OC in three years and after going 11-2?
  13. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +567
    Florida football is the context in this forum. The tough decision is hiring a new CEO (or head coach) in this example.
  14. ctg4ccie

ctg4ccie New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    This is a Gator sports forum though golf is rarely discussed. So Machen is the CEO of the University, Foley is CEO of the Athletic Department, Muschamp is the CEO of the football team. Below that we hit like service desk techs for the OC and DC position not responsible for their product. We don't have a CEO of the Offense or Defense. Even though this season is a dumpster fire I would prefer to keep Muschamp and fire Pease. We differ on the benefits/detriments of retaining Muschamp. Removing Muschamp will result in losing a poorly performing offensive division as well as a great performing defensive division as the whole staff would likely be sacked. Which would be better for recruiting would be based on conjecture and opinion.
  15. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Great performing defensive division? I guess you stopped watching about two months ago. The defensive division only performed well when it was stacked with talent brought in and developed by the previous CEO. Under the current leadership it has gone from great, to good, to average to flat out awful. You also forgot to mention the special teams division, though I'm not surprised since our CEO has completely forgotten about it too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. IH8REFS

IH8REFS Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    Pure idiocy. The man was asked "what'd you tell the guys after the game?" and you think him responding with "I told them..." is somehow an indication that he's not taking responsibility?
  17. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,396
    No one is saying Jeff is the Messiah. But we won 11 games last year with Jeff as our QB and before our roster was decimated with injury, we were poised - IMHO - to take it to the next level. Remember we were short several starters from day 1 this season.....and some had missed (vital) preseason practice with surgery, suspension, and illness. That negatively impacted our first few games of the year including Miami, IMHO.

I'm just throwing it out..........that if he hadn't gotten injured...........we MAY have won the rest of (or most of) our remaining games this season, instead of the results we actually had.

It's ENTIRELY possible.

Point being........we could have won all but 1 game this season with Jeff at QB.

That's all I'm saying.

No ones knows - all speculation.

I harbor no ill will for those who have their minds made up either way - and I'm not sure how things would have turned out myself with Jeff healthy - or if Coach Boom is even the right coach for us. But I really have to wonder why so many are so sure..........given the circumstances I laid out.....that he needs to be replaced at this point.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,614
    He didn't run the program into the ground he had a very bad season, just as a company often will have poor product sales one year after having a great year of sales.

If Samsung completely out sells apple's newest phone through the course of the year because the consumer just doesn't like the operating system on the iPhone does apple close up shop thinking they've hit rock bottom and Ran their company into the ground? No! They tweak their product and market it for sales the next year.
  19. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    The situation you describe is more closely akin to our football program losing 4 games and missing Atlanta and going to a non-BCS bowl. That's a substandard result that can be fixed by keeping the team in place and re-dedicating resources and effort.

Losing to Vandy and Ga Southern at home is akin to releasing Windows ME, Vista and Windows 8 one after the other. And the guy responsible for Windows 8 was fired.
  20. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Recruiting is dropping like a stone in the St. Johns River, just like it did in Zook's final year. One more year of Mr. Mediocrity and we'll see a huge resurgence of both F$U and Miami, and then we're toast. We already know that player discipline and focus have been allowed to deteriorate to the point that they feel comfortable taking Georgia Southern lightly after a 5-game losing streak. I expect players next season to bring lounge chairs to the sideline and work on their suntan during the game: "Go in? Nah, coach, I'm good here. Send in the guy over there that's watching the game."

Expect the stadium to be half-empty to start the season, and attendance to drop off from there. The only reason there will be any reason for fans to show up will be to hold up signs begging Foley to fire Mr. Mediocrity, or begging Machen to fire Foley. In fact, those two factions will probably be UF's biggest rivalry next season.

But its good to know that you have no blame for Muschamp, even if/when he craps the bed next year (it will be Foley's fault)! Kentucky thanks you for your support and welcomes the chance to end their losing streak to UF next year.