Orlando Sentinel: Major Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by BengermanV, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Bazza, I would say that it doesn't make difference due to the o-line protection even if JD was playing instead. And of course, WM grinded the offense as well. Murphy was probably slight less than JD overall, really. Agree?
  2. buddhistgator

buddhistgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +252
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to recognize the clinging to the idea that we always have to be the best. It comes and goes in cycles and there is no need to suffer over it.

One day we will look back and laugh at this state of affairs. Why not start now?

For now, Muschamp is all yin and no yang. Reminds me of the raging George Foreman who punched himself out against Ali. But Foreman went into seclusion for several years and emerged as a more balanced person and won the title again. I think that's what Muschamp needs. A few years as a DC where he doesn't have to be the face of a program. Maybe he'll learn.

Peace.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,012
    See that's where the speculation really begins.

Was Murphy good enough to lead the offense to victory as Driskel had done for us previously?

It's entirely debatable.....
  4. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Driskel is in the wrong system for his skillset. He was going to get injured eventually with our sliding gate offensive line. Our offense has been stuck in the mud the past 3 years. Driskel had so many negative plays we usually went backwards most series. Plus, since Driskel doesn't play defense I don't think he would have helped stop GaSouthern running roughshod over our porous defense.

We are what our record says we are. Anything else is just a pipe dream.

5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    Do you need a hug or something? You cant be speaking for everybody so the use of the word"US" should be stricken from your vocabulary. If you take your blinders off you would see rserina is right regardless of who you side with. The vitriol that is spewed on this board more times than not goes overboard with insults and anger about posters vow making it their every intention to to get men fired because florida has had 1 losing season in over 30 years. All streaks come to an end. But to be a anonymous pundit threatening to send emails, and boycott games and don't spend money etc. Unless men's life are possibly ruined or greatly altered and canned all for the sake of your entertainment or lack there of. You don't thin much of your self do you? Smh.
    And the sad thing is all this anger of results of a freaking GAME played by KIDS for the sole purpose of our enjoyment. Come back to the real world where there are worse things in life to insult or wish wrong doing on someone other than for the results you had not wished for in a game.

Go fishing like another poster stated that sounds like fun and when you don't catch a fish you can insult the fish and hope it gets replaced by some other fish. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +194
    Nope. I don't need a hug at all. And I am speaking for myself and those who feel the same about rserina's posts as I do. You don't fit in that group so I am not speaking for you, so you can stop being offended by my use of the word 'us'. Its really a strawman argument anyway. What this is really about is the fact that there are a large number of people who don't share your opinion on Muschump and how long he should be coach of the Gators.

I don't care about Will's well being. He's been paid over 9 million dollars to coach. That should be enough to set him up for life. Besides, he will get another job as a DC either in college or the NFL should he be fired from UF. What you are seeing is capitalism in action. If the market doesn't like the services being provided, the market will cease to consume those services.

From a personal standpoint, I want what is best for the Univ of Fl. I don't think that includes retaining our current coaching staff. Its just business.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    PTI boys said he is on a very short leash
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    Well I didn't specify in that post my position on the staff, at this point I'm on the fence. And as you and I are spectators, I will sit back and WATCH what the powers at be (ie: foley, machen) to see what they do about our situation. There are other members of the staff not named muschamp that go if he goes, and I'm not talking coordinators, I'm talking the ones that are trying to break into cfb Eric spoelstra style, from video scout boy to headman or some other important position.
    They also have lives and families and although champ and other main coaches will inevitably land somewhere making good money these "little" guys will have this season to try and land elsewhere instead of having a opportunity to be apart of a team that WILL rebound from its first losing season in 34 years, therefor bettering their resume. But since you the emperor, of UF is not ENTERTAINED head must roll.

If you want to be that kid at the basketball court who gets mad and takes his ball and leaves.... see ya . Cause if your only behind this team when we are winning then your really not behind this team. That's not saying you can't be disappointed, but insults and emails, and threats of boycotting are a bit much IMO.

Nobody who has ever bought a ticket hasn't got there ticket privileges honored. The ticket is for a seat, not a victory.

I wish we won every game, who doesn't? But I'm a realist and realize that isn't going to happen all the time, in hindsight 1 losing season in 34 years isn't to bad.
    Answer this : what major program out there hasn't had a losing season in 35 years? I guarantee the list is small....

If you want to use cfb as a business from our involvement than you have a choice to either watch it or not. Same as when Dexter played out its final season on showtime, which was the only reason I got it, if I didn't like what I was watching I didn't have to subscribe, I don't write the network boss to voice my displeasure.

And last are you saying that if a company/product has a bad couple of quarters or fall well short of projected revenues for the year because the consumer ceased buying their products that the company with go under and not have a better year the next ? No they tweak their product and market it better, they don't fire Steve Jobs or bill gates because the new Apple version is worse than last year's model they just wait for next year's model. It happens all the time, especially with the bigger companies (UF) they almost always bounce back. As will we next year.
    #GO GATORS
  9. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +194
    First, I am not the emperor of UF and I never claimed to be. Neither am I the guy who writes coaches, administrators or directors due to the product on the field. I can't imagine being that worked up about football to where I would try to organize a boycott or letter writing campaign. So, your attempts at labeling me and making this personal don't hold water.

Second, you are correct about the small fry in the mix. I had not considered them in my earlier argument. Unfortunately, taking them into account does not change the calculus. The program as a whole is suffering and that will not lend itself to success for anyone. Its better to fix the problems, which I believe start at the top, than to muddle through into mediocrity.

Third, if a company hires a first time CEO who takes them in a completely different direction than previous experienced CEOs and the company fails to make a profit, sees their market share plummet, gets bad press, and loses the faith of the consumers and employees, then that is the responsibility of the CEO. Given that the current CEO does NOT have the pedigree of a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, and has never indicated he is capable of performing at their level, it is likely that he will (and should) be fired by the Board of Directors.
  10. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Come on, Bazza. There's really nothing to think about. Driskel was a mediocre at best QB last year, whose biggest plays were made running the ball. He was off to a terrible start in 2013 before the injury. Let's not act like he was Tim Tebow or Manziel or something (neither of them would have at us 10-1 either).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    The thing is, he would have been far closer to Tebow or Manziel if he were running an offense that matches his skill set. Meyer saw that Leak didn't fit his offense and adjusted. Muschamp, not so much for Driskel. Another sad case of wasted potential.
  12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    If we lose to FSU by 40 points, Muschamp will likely resign if he's not fired. The pressure will just be too great. It would get really ugly next season.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +528
    It has always been my belief that the Florida school with the most/best Florida recruits can win a national title. So that is the only path we have left. Firing the cook and the butler on the titanic isn't going to float with most fans.

But what can you do but recruit and sail on...
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    Hate to agree but I do. There's nothing about what we do that appears tailored to our talent. Staff made a decision how they want the offense to look and then stuffed some pegs in holes. That's my take anyway.
  15. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    I think Muschamp is more resilient than that, I do not foresee him resigning so don't get your hopes up too high. Comments by Jaylen Watkins in the G'ville Sun lead me to believe Muschamp has not lost the players like some hope on here.
    We lost two more linebackers last week and are giving a walk on extensive playing time at lb and a freshman at mlb - with our chronic offense problems and injuries 40 points may not be altogether a surprise. As a fan I am just going to buckle down and hope the players play hard and make us proud. Good luck to David Campbell this weekend, be a great memory playing for UF in a rivalry game.
  16. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Brantley was playing in the spread for God's sake, Driskel is playing in a pro set (although I don't know what to call what we're seeing). Brissett was the better QB for this offense but Champ ran him off. I don't think he has a clue about running an offense but is keeping his thumbs on those that do.

17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,249
    Compared to what we lost last year, this is nothing. I'd focus on what we're bringing back rather than what we're losing and we're bringing back more experience and talent in every position group except CB... where we still have a lot of talent, and may have the experience too, if we do something like shift Riggs over there.

On offense, while Patton deserves big props we should be able to replace his productivity with the talent we have. The biggest concern is getting a solid Center (Harrison is the biggest loss on offense IMO), and coaching up JD and TM.

Bama and LSU do lose their Senior QBs, but they are well stocked programs now. They always have talent on the roster, throughout the roster, with experience in most position groups. That's where we need to get, and we'll be closer next year. If we do well with this recruiting class and have a good year next year, we should be there moving forward.
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    We'll have 8 LBs on roster next season and they all need to be healthy all season. I don't know if I can stand another year of bare-cupboard reasoning.
  19. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    If you think there's going to be no excuses next year, youre crazy:

- New OC, new system
    - Players recovering from injury (plus new injuries)
    - Redshirt freshman inexperience
    - etc

The excuse machine will never stop until he's canned at which point he'll widely be recognized as one of the worst gator coaches of all time.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,306
    You in particular is not who I was referring to, i suppose my use of "you" should be altered as well, but some posters in general, and if you've read this message board long enough you'll see that people threaten to boycott, email, withhold donation etc, which is all their right, but a bit of a knee jerk react ion IMO.

So let's not use CEO ' s as an example, though they were both first time CEO ' s as well, instead let's use their lead software developers. Let's say an apple lead developer had Rose the companies profits (record/ #2 bcs rank) higher than it had been the previous 3 years in only his second year on the job, but the following year it's competitors ( Samsung) produces a better year of sales because our product has bugs that need worked out, do they can the developer who showed he can get them on top or give him another year to work out the bugs in the program.