Ordered a laptop but it seems to have weak graphic capability.

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by DieAGator, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,530
    I'm not really sure it will have an effect on my computer experience- not a gamer- and I think it's at that level graphics really matter. I mostly just surf, some youtube, online poker, occasional dvd. Hope the benchmark sight I reference is credible.

I'll have Intel HD integrated graphics on the new laptop. I looked up benchmark of some components after I ordered and found graphics to be lacking, I think.

Could have ordered an AMD Quad Core edition for $50 less but its benchmark is below the Intel chip I'll have by about 10%

The Intel also came with 6 GB RAM, AMD would have been 4 GB.

Anyway, here are the Intel HD integrated graphic vs AMD Radeon HD integrated graphics benchmarks.

Intel 325

AMD 565

I'm working off a computer with video card benchmark of only 124 right now fwiw. Maybe the Intel at 325 will be an improvement. I find it hard to believe either is adequate considering their rank against the heavy duty cards.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon HD 7640G
  2. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    The benchmarks are comparing discrete graphics cards against a laptop APU (CPU and GPU on a single chip) that is designed to save power. Those graphics cards on full load probably draw as much if not much more power than the laptop itself.

AMD since it bought ATI has been ahead of Intel on the graphics front, but as long as you aren't gaming and based on what you describe you should be ok for most things with the Intel HD3000 integrated graphics.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +769
    I wonder if AMD will ever catch Intel on the other front?
  4. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Maybe, either Intel need to stumble badly or the computing paradigm could change.

With cloud computing, distributed computing, GPGPU, and not to mention competitors (ARM, IBM, etc.), there are going to be challenges ahead for Intel.

Intel currently has a huge lead in R&D on AMD, but things can change with manufacturing advances. Intel is also trying to get into the mobile world and there are some heavyweights there already like Samsung, T.I. and Qualcomm.