Optimism for next season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370

So, papa, have you had any contact with them and / or have they had any contact with you ?

Like I said, if I knew someone, or knew how to initiate the process of making contact with the UF football program, I would love to assist you and your son. Sadly, I don't.

But like I said in the earlier post, try the Rex Grossman approach, if phone calls don't work. (For the record, I don't know anything about the NCAA rules / regs on recruiting, but you might check [if you don't know; you sound pretty knowledgeable of the process] them first).
  2. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    The truth is that Muschamp had some good luck in the 2012 season just like he had some bad luck in 2013. He is not as good as the 11-2 record would indicate; nor is he as bad as the 4-8 record would indicate. That means he is probably a 6-9 win per year coach. In other words, another Zook. What should make us concerned is that not only did Muschamp have some good luck in 2012, but he also benefitted from an absolutely brilliant defensive recruiting class in 2010, courtesy of Urban Meyer. It is possible that no one in history ever signed the top two DT's and the top DE in the same class. (And they all stayed eligible!) Throw in one of the best defensive backfield classes in the country, and you have the makings of a great defense. Was our defensive performance in 2012 more the result of great defensive coaching, or absolutely amazing recruiting (by the previous coach)? My guess is that it is probably 60-40 in favor of recruiting. This question makes me think that Muschamp is more of a 6-7 win coach instead of a 8-9 win coach. He may be worse than Zook, sadly. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I interpret his record as a HBC.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    He had some luck in 2012, but watching how the team played, I expected us to win. We thoroughly domnated on defense, special teams and in the fourth quarter. By design. With a first year QB, and a fairly weak WR corp. That wasn't just luck. Even against UGA, I expected us to win late. If not for yet another TO by Reed heading into the end zone and a b.s. defensive holding call against Easley (something that never gets called), we'd have won that game too.

Louisville is the only team that flat beat us. Largely because they have the best QB in college ball.

And that was against perhaps of the toughest regular season schedule any Gator team has ever played.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Such a good post.

That's the scariest thing about Muschamp, that his only major accomplishment to date came about with Urbans great players and obviously Meyer isn't going to be around to help us recruit and develop any more Floyds or Easleys or elams.

Right now Muschamp is hanging on by a shred thanks to that 11 win season, a crutch mostly constructed by Meyer.

At this point in zooks career here he at least recruited and developed himself numerous productive players, probably double in quantity as what Muschamp has done thus far and the quality of players is no comparison in favor of zook.
    Best case scenario he's a Tommy
    Tuberville type.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    Misery is as misery does.

Good grief at the whining.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +972
    When it is obvious that starting slots are open, recruits take them. A bad season and a thin depth chart on one side of the ball will bring them in despite the results of the prior year. It is harder to recruit with a team full of starters and even Meyer had problems with that one when we were loaded.

In this state, a team can reload in shot order. Golden may go to Penn State and Fisher may go to Texas. If both leave, our next class could be one for the record books.

I am always optimistic on being able to get recruits in this state. The kids who want to step up to SEC ball, will.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    The real issue then is what is between the head coach's ears. We just don't match up well with the rest of the SEC. Vandy has a far better head coach than UF. As does Mizzou. And South Carolina. And Georgia. LSU and Bama? Obviously.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    I am feeling much more optimistic watching Ropers offense tonight!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,477
    Papa,

I also don't have any direct connection with the recruiting folks for Florida's current staff, but from information on Gatorzone the telephone number for the football coaching offices is (352) 375-4683 x4100, or x4133 for the assistant director of football operations/recruiting. You can also email Joker Phillips at www.gatorzone.com/contact/?emp=406 if you are looking to make contact with the staff. (Again, I'm not familiar with any of the NCAA regulations regarding recruiting either, so you may want to look at those if you aren't familiar with them.)

The page for prospective athletes to contact the football office regarding interest is at https://questionnaire.acsathletics.com/Questionnaire/Questionnaire.aspx?q=1091&s=4561&o=141
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,095
    It's fun to watch, no doubt, but it isn't his offense that's going to be at UF next year, it's going to be the same one we've always had, just tweeked and molded some by Roper.

If Muschamp will stay out of the way (which I firmly believe he won't), Roper could very much improve our offense, especially if he can develop Driskel and Grier.

I have my doubts though.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,095
    Lets all insult Duke!

FOOTBALL SCHOOL! FOOTBALL SCHOOL!

:p:D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,364
    I am amazed that someone actually believes this.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Spurrier: "The Gators finally figured it out...you have to go to Duke to get football coaches."
    • Funny Funny x 6
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    The question isn't whether or not Roper can coach offense. It's clear that he can. He was able to get the Duke players to execute at a high level.

Will our players accept his coaching? Will they work as hard as the Duke players? This falls into the head coach's ability to lead. If the players see his enthusiam for Roper and their plan to win, they'll buy in. It gets much easier at that point.

Roper's biggest challenge, in my opinion, is getting Driskel up to speed and the rest of the offense firmly behind him.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    What if Driskel just does not have it in him to be a successful college QB? He has some serious problems reading defenses and making quick decisions, not to mention accuracy. What's Plan B?

We probably shouldn't expect Grier to be a good QB in the SEC right out of HS. That isn't fair to him.
  16. traubgator

traubgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    maybe this was discussed in another post, but was anyone else blown away at the talent UCF has! wow, they would have beaten us by 3-4 touchdowns. didn't make me feel very good about the future to be honest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    JD was doing a much better job reading defenses before he got hurt this year. And reading defenses is apparently the first priority Roper puts on training QBs, so hopefully that is something he continues to improve on.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +912
    Hard to say what they would do against UF. They have some talent, but not 2 deep good talent. Luckly for them they can take anybody that can sign their name and get them in school, and they play in a mid major conference. They got damn lucky they drew another team that has mainly mid-major talent, zero discipline and couldn't spell defense much less play it.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Seriously, barring a string of injuries at a short-handed position, which occurred this past year almost everywhere and destroyed even some long handed positions, the Gator's returning players and upcoming redshirts should be good enough to compete with anyone.

If the offense actually changes in ways that increase scoring (all other changes are meaningless, like leading the SEC in time of possession), and I will believe it when I see it, given that the defense when relatively healthy has played between very well and outstanding over the past two years, there actually is a lot of room for optimism. Of course, depending on what one calls optimistic. I would rank the following records as follows relatively to optimism:

13-0 - Exceedingly optimistic
    12-1 - Very, very optimistic because it means a title game with a tough schedule
    10/11-2 - Quite optimistic given the difficulty of the schedule
    10-2 - No playoff, but still quite optimistic given the schedule
    9-3 - Perhaps somewhat optimistic but certainly within reasonable expectations
    8-4 - Neutral
    7-5 - Somewhat pessimistic, although once again, within reasonable expectations give the schedule
    Anything below (expect to see a new head coach the next year)
  20. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I agree with this overall, except I think anything below 8 wins gets Muschamp fired because of how bad this year was.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1