Optimism for next season

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Dec 16, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    How do we really know Champ was the main reason? Pease had exactly one good year as an OC on his resume before coming here. And that was with a team that knew the system inside out and had a very good SR QB running the show.

You could make an argument that Pease was who he was here... basically the same as at UK and Baylor. It is on Champ that he hired Pease, though. It's his team and he's responsible.

Also, the injuries were crazy this year. We don't need to cop out, but we were definitely impacted.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    OaktownGator you are wasting your time there is nothing you can say. There is nothing the OP or anyone else anti Muschamp in this thread wants to hear. They will cry all off season. It is what it is. They have a reason to cry the team only one 4 games. They also refuse to look at the situation rationally. If you tell them the reasons to be optimistic they will brush them aside because what they wanted to happen at the end of the season didn't happen. Their beliefs are at best we win 4 games next year Muschamp is fired but leaves the team with no talent. And at worst Muschamp wins 8 games is kept for the foreseeable future and UF turns into UGA.
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Boring x 1
  3. Hasbeen

Hasbeen Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    It's easy to lose sight of the fact that the overwhelming majority of both negative and positive posters have at least two things in common - a deep passion for our beloved Gators and the resultant pain that comes with it after a year like this.

I'm not singing kumbaya here, but it's understandable that some will take longer to work through the process of acceptance than you, Oaktown. I'm one of those. While I admire your efforts at minimizing the negatives, I also think it's unrealistic for recruits who might read these posts to expect all of us to be in positive unison right now.

I'm more prone to give them credit for being able to filter through the good and bad, and make their own decisions. Along the way, I would hope they'd recognize that both sides have an abiding passion for this team - just different ways of expressing it.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    Very well put.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    The moral preening continues unabated. I'll check back in another week.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

It's been been discussed ad nauseum in plenty of threads and clearly the majority of posters here agree that it was the HBC handcuffing the OC. I certainly did not watch Brent Pease's offensive play-calling style at UF the last two years, and when he's at Washington, you're going to see a whole different style of play-calling. If you refuse to see that, then that's fine I suppose, it's a free country.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,747
    You could be right. All I'm saying is we really don't know, and Pease' track record other than one year at Boise is pretty much what we saw.

If he does well at Washington I'll be happy for him. Seems like a good guy.
  8. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I think most of us would agree that Muschamp's conservative offensive philosophy kept Pease from expanding his play calling. However, the loss of Driskel and the injury to Murphy were the main reasons our offense was so vanilla during the last half of the year. Murphy played hurt after the LSU game and it was pretty obvious that his ability to pass downfield was extremely limited. Once we had to go to our 3rd string QB, we were toast! I'm pretty sure that Foley has already had the "do or die" conversation with Muschamp. Will is not stupid! He will get an OC who can open things up and stretch the field. As long as we don't get hammered with another wave of injuries, we have plenty of talent to run a big-time offense! Our defense will be back to its nasty self once all the injured players heal up. I'd say we will win 9 games next year, but we won't beat any of the big boys!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    What's the OL look like for next year

something like:

LT
    DJ Humphries
    Chaz Green
    David Sharpe

LG
    Max Garcia
    Roderick Johnson
    Drew Sarvary

C
    Cam Dillard

RG
    Tyler Moore
    Trip Thurman
    Travaris Dorsey

RT
    Trenton Brown
    Octavius Jackson
    Nolan Kelleher

?
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    Assuming that Muschamp isn't in fact a systemic problem, and that the offensive coaches were the issue, and Muschamp is actually a decent coach that had a ton of bad luck last year, here is what UF has on the team:

Uncertainty at QB. Can Driskel be a SEC QB? If he gets hurt (he's missed, what 13 games in his career with injury?), who the hell will QB?

RB looks good, but WR lost its only playmaker. Dunbar is back but so what? There is a lot of "talent" waiting in the wings, but can they produce? Will Robinson ever live up to they hype? Can ANYONE contribute at TE? Ever? Muschamp hasn't been able to recruit a single TE to contribute offensively in his 3 years here. Will these freshmen change that? Will Thompson get healthy and put it all together?

OL is a disaster. There is supposedly some "talent" but not a ton of depth. Can a new OL coach actually make this unit do something? Unclear. It's hard to see a unit lose 4 upperclassmen and get better. If Humprhies improves, UF could be OK at tackle with Green coming back, but who backs them up? Trenton Brown REALLY needs to take the next step or Sharpe has to be able to play right away.

The DL was mediocre most of the second half of the season. They lost two interior players. Depth is an issue, especially at DT. Can this unit come anywhere close to the 2012 unit that had meyer recruits destroying the middle? Can Muschamp's recruits get it done?

LB had a tough year. Not a big unit, but fast. Can they improve and be in better position this year to make plays?

Secondary - should be OK, although they got beat up in the second half of the year, along with the rest of the team.

Special teams - coverage and punting should be OK, but the kicking this year was a disaster. Can that be rectified? It literally cost UF 2 games this year.

It's hard to imagine basically the same coaching staff fixing ALL OF THOSE ISSUES in one season. we'll see though.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. wulimaster

wulimaster Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    I feel like we're going to suck next year. I feel like I'll log into message boards for the next 8 months and read a bunch of wishful thinking backed up with highly wonky reasons for why we should win it all and I'll start to think maybe I'm just negative and should lighten up and then we'll start out the season with three or four wins which will underscore my negativity and then we'll drop like 5 out of the next 7 games and this place will turn into a dumpster fire and I'll soothe myself on the comparative positives of graduating from a better academic institution than the ones prison raping us on the football field and pretend it doesn't bug me. So pretty much like this year.
    • Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  12. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    More like win 2 in a row... maybe 3, then play bama. Our schedule is insane playing bama and lsu, usc, mizzo, uga, fsu. Include Tenn, vandy, UK. I think we are lucky to have 6 wins this coming year.

On the other hand if we Driskel can run the same offense he did in 2012, and running game is solid... we could win 6 or more.
  13. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,289
    luck to win 6 games? Our talent is just as good or better than every team we play next year. The experince talent gap between UF and Tenn & UK is significant
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    If we can't beat UT or UK next year, we're a 3-9 team.

I can't see how that's possible.

OTOH, there are 5 teams on next year's schedule that are better than us right now. Muschamp's challenge is to beat some of those teams, at least two of them. If he does that and wins the other 7, he's back for 2015.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. NiftyGator

NiftyGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    This year's record aside, we can all agree that Muschamp is an elite defensive coach. A notch under Saban. Champ's proven! I say we don't need a world beater offense at all, but just a little to give some for our defense to work with its confidence and such. We just need a top 100 offense and above throughout the season to be honest o_O. In 2012 we were 104th in yards with just 334 yds/pg and 26.5 pts/pg 78th in the country. We had this past year 316.6 yds/pg and 18.8 pts/pg, which is 115th in each. :mad:! Mind you we had a deep defensive team in 2012 and we could have that this coming year especially at DB and possibly DL. I feel a lot better with our linebackers coming into 2014 than this past year as long as we stay healthy. I say 8 wins is very reasonable to attain. I know not your typical Florida record, but what do you expect me to say? My opinion may change depending on the OC/OL. I tried to be objective and reasonable.
  16. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    I hope your right, but looking at your first post assuming we win first 4, you obviously are oblivious of the schedule.

This post sounds very pessimistic, and I am optimistic realist, I will be up for the season, travel to many games, and hope musch can learn how to manage a team.
  17. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    It depends on your definition of optimism.

UF will hire someone who will say a lot of right things about the offense (I think it's Applewhite, but Helton will do the same thing). We'll have signing day where someone will rank the class in the top 10. Spring practice will look better, or if it doesn't it could just be the new system being put in.

The fall will roll around and we'll hear a lot about how much time people have spent in the film room, how much better the attitude is. We'll hear that guys have really stepped up to be leaders of the team, and that whoever and whoever are poised to take that next step and really make an impact this year.

for the first two games, either the offense will be better or it won't, but if it's not, we can say we're not wanting to show anything to Alabama. And then Alabama, and we'll just see.

So, by my count that's about nine months -- three quarters of a year -- with mostly good/great news coming out of the program. In all likelihood, there's nothing detracting from an optimistic viewpoint until late September.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Wow you think we lose to Kentucky with all of our starters back? That is a big statement.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Well, we did lose to Georgia Southern at home.
  20. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    Driskel and Murphy both got hurt because our O line couldn't block. Numerous sacks for the opposing team, sometimes unabated to the QB. The Oline not blocking was evident also last year, and when Brantley was here.

The HC needs to make sure we recruit O linemen, hire a competent Oline coach, and hire a S&C coach who can build strength and endurance while minimizing injuries.
    • Agree Agree x 1