Optimism for next season

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Dec 16, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    The team knows Muschamp can coach defense.

The team had zero confidence in our offense - for good reason. I think if we do a good job there, the whole dynamic will change. We are building talent on the offensive side of the ball. Champ has to get these offensive coaching hires right, though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,110
    Hard to be optimistic with 2 out of 3 seasons of bad football, 30 transfers, tons of injuries which may be attributed to different style of strength training, a coach who brow beats his players as if he's going to punch them, first wants a down hill pro style offense now seems to want more of a spread, has broken many records that are of not the good kind, loses more often to rival teams, knows D but has no idea about O since we have 3 straight years of putrid offense, Will be on his 3rd OC need I say more??? He has brought upon uf the perception of a program that is in shambles which may affect this years recruiting. He allows the team to laugh at two players blocking each other that has become a staple on sports networks of clowns in pads. Do I want uf to lose to rid WM, NO. I will continue to hope we win every game regardless who is coach but do I think this coach will get it done? NO.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +478
    Optimism: Muschamp will be fired by mid-October ala Zook.

Pessimism: the 2010s will belong to FSU and we may once again trail them in football NCs by the end of the decade.
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Boring x 1
  4. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    Any chance we might actually see what the coaching staff looks like before going all Chicken Little?

Champ led us to within a play or two of the BCS CG two years ago. With little in the way of offense. If he makes good coaching hires here and continues top tier recruiting on offense, there is no reason he can't get us there.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    First someone needs to remind all of you naysayers that 27 injured players during the season was a huge reason for not playing well. When you lose your top RB, QB, offensive and defensive linemen, statrting LB's , punt retirner you are not the same team.Second the players who are leavi now knew they'd see little playing time , including Murphy, and they want tp play somewhere. Third the play selections were bad somewhat due to the lack of depth and experience. Losing your backup QB didin't help either. So stop your bitching and be real Gator fans.Players read this stuff and they'd like to see fan support. Ask yourselves how much work you've put into this team!
    • Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Boring x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    I see that you post frequently and have an overwhelmingly positive view which is extremely admirable, I can appreciate your enthusiasm. You have a valid point that expressing negative opinions will have a negative effect on future recruits, current players, coaches, families, etc... Unfortunately sir those are the consequences of hiring a coach that inept at running the show. Myself along with many other rational thinkers on this post all agree that the state of our program is not heading in the right direction so voicing their opinion is only the human thing to do and cannot be censored as much as you might want to try.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    Again, I understand the frustration, but Muschamp is our coach for next season, no matter how negative people want to be about that.

You've already admitted that the negativity will have a negative impact on players, coaches, recruits and their families.

Why go negative when you know the results will be negative, and not just for this coach, but for everyone else, including the next coach (assuming Muschamp is fired next year) who will likely inherit a weakened roster as a result of all of the negativity?

Knowing that what you are doing will have negative effects on the players, coaches, recruits, and the next coaching staff, are you and the other negative posters really being "rational" with the ongoing, relentless negativity?

And I would ask you to consider this post, and whether I am really trying to "censor" you, or whether I am trying to get you to be as rational as you claim to be.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gators8

gators8 Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    What are these " cupcakes" you speak of ? We have no cupcakes, don't you remember the last couple of months ?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +440

If I wouldn't get banned, I would tell you how I really feel about that bs above. You are no more or less of a gator fan than anyone else.

27 injured players? Good Lord. Excuses, excuses. Matt Jones was no where near his 2012 self. He never really got into game shape before his season ending injury. Brown and Taylor did just fine picking up the slack. There was no drop off. Green was not the top o-lineman, that would have been Harrison, try again. Don't say D.J. either. He's a turnstile at LT and needs to move to the right side. To bad coaches are to blind to see it. Yes losing Easley hurt. It should not have hurt as bad as it did as the season went along. What hurt the defense more was the real brain behind 2012 defense going to Seattle. Coaches didn't do anything to adjust to the loss of D.E. scheme wise. Losing JD did hurt. TM played ok in his absence. Dubose? Are you really throwing that out there? Morrison? He got trucked more times than he made tackles.

This team is poorly coached. Period. Sorry if that makes me a lessor gator in your eyes. I knew walking out of the Toledo game that nothing had changed. It was largely the same cast of characters on offense, doing the same things that did not work the previous 2 seasons. There is little to no player development. This is obvious to most people who take the o/b blinders off, that the 2's and 3's are totally under developed on a large scale. Two reason for this: 1.)When you go 1's on 1's in practice, the 2's and 3's get little to no work and 2) when you dick around with tomato cans for 3 seasons and can't put one away before the middle of the 4th quarter, the backups get little to no needed playing time. You cannot simulate game speed, game intensity and actual game situations in practice, no matter how tough you try to be.

Yeah, sadly to me, WM will be melting down on the sidelines for at least half of the 2014 season. I can't change that. I will still pay my money, come to games, and still continue to support the gators. I expect at least 10 wins and an East title next season. Anything less is a failure and should result in the dismissal of this staff. I see 8 wins at the most. I look for agent muschamp to remain for the 2015 season if he breaks 500.
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  10. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +762
    I have to admit that I had more optimism for 1980 than I do for 2014. I hope I am wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Amen, RC.
    You can 'splain it to the blind, but you can't understand it for them.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    'Champ' also led UF to it's first losing season since 1979 that included a historic loss to a AA team at home this year.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    No doubt. There was some freakishly bad injury luck associated with it, but he has to own that record just as much as the prior year's record. And his hiring decisions.

He clearly has to get his next couple of hires right, or he won't be around past next season.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,110
    This is what you get with a wanna be coach with no hc experience. We tried this once remember? WM will find out at the expense of uf that he is suited for an assistant position not a hc. Meanwhile he with the help of JF will bring down uf to the point it may take years to recover. IMO WM remains because it will cost too much to let him go and remember to get any coach worth his salt we will have to pay his buyout. Giving wm an extension all but forced jf's hand. It's a rock and a hard place situation.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    You could be right that WM isn't head coaching material.

Or it could be he'll take a little longer to be an elite head coach than we're willing to wait (Saban at Michigan State?).

Either way, he is doing a good job building the roster, so if we need to hire somebody new, we should be set to quickly rebound. I don't see where we should be concerned that it will take years to recover.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    Absolutely! Him continuing past next season (probably more like mid-season) as the HC at UF hinges almost entirely on hiring the right new OC an OL coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,305
    Unfortunately, the money today doesn't allow coaches to grow into HCs at the bigger programs. And MSU really didn't have much before him and waiting was probably all they could do. AND he left them for LSU. So, we would be okay to "grow" Muschamp and then let him pull a Saban?

To me the best example of growing a coach is Frank Beamer and Va Tech. He was pretty mediocre for quite a few years but he now has things pretty well lined out.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Securing a Top 5 or 10 Recruiting Class along with excellent hires for the OC and OL Coaches would help! ;)
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,677
    Yup. Definitely understand that growing coaches isn't something that is done much at bigger programs these days.

But if the AD really believes, and the coach shows growth, I think it's a good idea. A young guy like Muschamp could be here for a good long while, and be very successful. I know that's hard to see after a season like we just suffered through, but IMO he is smart enough and competitive enough to take the rights steps to improve himself, his staff, and keep building the program. And I could be wrong, but I think he'll return the loyalty Foley is showing him.

We'll see.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168

Champ was the main reason the O didn't work this year. We've been through two OC's under Muschamp so far and the O has statistically gotten worse each year. This will all depend upon how much leeway and autonomy Muschamp is going to allow the new OC to run his offense when he hasn't done it with the previous two.

I mean, Muschamp has to know he's screwed the pooch by handcuffing the last two OC's, especially Pease, so if the story circulating around that Foley was the driving force behind a new OC and OL coach, maybe we'll see some changes.

But I also want to know what he intends to do with the special teams because Choate turned them into an absolute disaster this season, primarily the kickers and punter.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1