Opening Point Spreads (+21 vs Bama, +17 vs FSU, +9 vs LSU, +9 vs UGA)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Stewie4Governor

Stewie4Governor Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    A bit of perspective for our local crew of hijackers, a thread originally about point spreads turned into a rehashing of the Zook years. Is it too much to ask to stay on topic?
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,621
    Actually three seasons (2007, 2010 and 2011), plus a 5-7, which is different for Illinois (8 or more losses 10 of the last 18 years), than it is for a Florida. Illinois fans thought they reached the next level with two straight 7-6 seasons, but got frustrated at the string of losses, and pulled the trigger.

I agree. when he was fired, I was relieved, not only for Florida, but also for Zook and his family. Screw the money, they suffered enough. I wouldn't have gone through that for five million bucks.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,621
    Sorry. What were we talking about again? :D

Oh yes. Point spreads...

They ARE daunting, but somehow, I doubt that our opponents are all going to be as good as advertised, or we as bad. I suspect the spreads will be reduced as the season wears on, particularly if we do our bit.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,740
    Agree - those spreads won't hold.
  5. rawgator22

rawgator22 Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    We were a 4 TD dog to FSU last year. They covered.
  6. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    We better win two of them and cover the other two...or we could be head coach searching...
  7. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    He was let go before the bowl game in 2011, so he went 6-6 that year. Not a big difference, it is really splitting hairs at that point. Either way, he probably should have been retained, those 6 straight losses really killed him though.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Funny, seems like some of these professional analysts either don't follow the SEC closely or have very short memories.

With exceptions, green QB's typically struggle in the SEC; and I think that'll be the case for some of these teams starting someone new, especially early on.
  9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,304
    I feel with our running back corps, we'll be able to move the chains more and keep opposing teams' offenses on the sideline, at least more so than we did last year. I think our defense got gassed last year because they played too many snaps, so if we can keep the ball longer, the defense IMO will play better.

In terms of point spreads, this should work in our favor when looking at these initial spreads.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,621
    Our problem wasn't holding the ball and keeping the offense off the field. We were third in the much-derided time of possession stat last year. We were mediocre in 3d down conversions as well, but we weren't horrible.

What we couldn't do to save our asses last year was get into the endzone. We were ranked 119th in redzone offense last year. Only Charlie Weis' Jayhawks were worse among P5 conference teams.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. samdingo

samdingo Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Yep.

Not your typical UF squad as they were totally ravaged by injuries, but it was still a fundamentally flawed team.

The UGA one jumped out at me to take. UF +9? Not that I think they'll win, probably way too early to have formulate an opinion either way because many things can and will happen to move it between now and then, but still, looks tempting. 9 is a lot of points in this game.

The LSU and Carolina lines are interesting. I do think Carolina wins the SEC East this season, but UF has played them awful tough of late with arguably inferior teams, particularly last year and '11. They just self destructed in '12 and it was the final game of a torturous 3 game stretch of UGA, LSU and UF. Defense came to play but the offense just folded. I think UF had less than 50 yards at half time, was just a weird season.

Kinda surprised Alabama is a bigger favorite than FSU although you're probably splitting hairs with that many points this far out from the season.