Opening Point Spreads (+21 vs Bama, +17 vs FSU, +9 vs LSU, +9 vs UGA)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by theghost, Jun 13, 2014.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    Zook made himself an easy target with the frat incident. Wasn't his finest hour.

I really liked Zook for his energy and effort, and he was a helluva recruiter. Fell short in some game day areas and letting the team get on too much an emotional roller coaster. IMO.

I agree Machen was just looking for an excuse, though. And Zook was dealt a very tough hand. As Muschamp has been. That's the way it goes sometimes. Muschamp has a tough climb ahead.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Really? After all the madcap adventures of Meyer's "1% of the 1%" or Muschamp's coaching feuds? Zook was a player's coach, but they both loved and respected him, and were outraged at Floey when he fired Zook. I never bought into the idea that under Zook the "inmates ran the asylum." While Zook was by NO means a disciplinarian, I saw too much nonsense with players under SOS and Meyer to think he was by any means unique in regard to discipline. Actually, I think Muschamp is the toughest of the bunch, going back to Pell.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    It's interesting in that I applauded Zook's actions at the frat house. As an old cavalryman, I like seeing the commander leading from the front and taking care of his troops. What I couldn't understand was why Foley insisted that Zook himself go down there. Seemed like he was being set up to fail...

Zook had a lot to learn as a head coach when he came to Florida, and every week was a crisis, but he was nowhere NEAR as bad as many Gator fans made him appear. That, of course, being an impossibility...:D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    From an internal team leadership perspective, I'm 100% with you on Zook's actions with the frat house.

Unfortunately for him, major college HBC is a political position. Public perception is a big deal... especially with University President looking for any little excuse to fire you.

Also agree that Zook was nowhere near as bad as many/most Gator fans think he was. We were the only team to beat LSU in their championship run. And it was no fluke. Very well conceived game plan and well executed. With a true frosh QB no less.

The Swindle and the screw job by SEC refs in that Vols game were both big losses that should have gone the other way.

Of course, FireRonZook.com started before he coached a single minute. That's some big time bullchit.

This job is tough under the best of circumstances. What he faced was brutal. And Champ hasn't had much better, given the brutal schedules, gaping roster holes he inherited, and unprecedented injury situation last year.
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Zook beat UGA 14-10 in 2002. It was the poodles only loss and it kept them from playing Miami in the 02 national championship game. How many of you remember that UGA was ranked above tOSU prior to losing to UF?

Zook beat the 2003 LSU national championship team 19-7 in Baton Rouge.

Zook won his finale in Tallahassee. That is something Spurrier never accomplished with UF.

My guess is Foley is showing more patience with Muschamp as he might feel he pulled the plug too soon with the Zooker. That and the monetary timing based on Muschamp's contract gave Muschamp this season to show he has the right stuff. Of course, the right stuff is thankfully left up to Foley.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. irongator9

irongator9 Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Pardon the ignorance, but how would you go about betting on those lines? Since the Golden Nugget produces its own independent line, would they even be affiliated with an online platform?
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,076
    But we weren't talking about either of them. If you want to debate SOS or Meyer then that's a different story. I was simply talking about Zook. Muschamp is by far the best disciplinarian imo; I believe the results off the field support it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    I think Foley had to appease the violent reactions by the boosters, of which Tom McEwen was prominent. Their memories of 1979 were getting dim, and they forgot what REAL mediocrity was. Succeeding SOS was a no-win situation for anyone, particularly for a coach who HAD to win BIG or ELSE.

Muschamp is going through the same issues Zook had to endure, although not to anywhere near the same degree. Had Meyer left in 2009, then it would have been more similar to Zook's situation.
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    I agree 100%. It's like the Zooker was doomed to failure when he took the job. It was going to be impossible to please the UF fan base following a legend.
  10. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +936
    But the Zooker got fired from his next gig too. So maybe he just doesn't have it?
  11. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    He was there for seven years, though, and finished his last two seasons with winning records. His losing the last six games in 2011 after winning the first six games is what killed him. His successor has gone 2-10 and 4-8, with one win against a P5 conference team (Purdue was 1-11 last year).

The last two years, Zook would lose in classic Zook fashion, with nine losses of twelve by 11 points or less, and only three losses by 20 points. His successor, over the past two years, would lose four such games in 18 losses. The other 12 were blowouts. Here are the points for/against for Illinois the last four years against P5 teams:

Year----------Points For-------Points Against-------W/L

2010...................337.............................255.........................7-6
    2011...................182..............................217.........................7-6

2012...................108..............................281.........................2-10
    2013...................229..............................360.........................4-8

Illinois fans too discovered the difference between mediocre and bad...
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,076
    Consistency was always the Zookers issue. He never had it at Illinois.
  13. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    As it was at Florida. But when Zook beat three top ten teams, all on the road, in 2003 (LSU, Arkansas and Georgia), the peace and quiet on the board was wonderful! All the whiners and criers about firing Zook yesterday were nowhere to be heard. It lasted all the way to The Swindle, and when they returned, many of them blamed The Swindle loss on Zook instead of Childress and crew! Incredible!
  14. odessagatorguy

odessagatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Three 8-5 records? How would that be pleasing to anyone?

Stop hiring coaches without experience. Seems pretty obvious to me.
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Yes, that magical, mystical land where the W/L record means everything, and mitigating factors mean nothing...
  16. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    And where Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan are just waiting for Jeremy to call!
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Don't forget Stoopsie! :D
  18. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Is that the same land where the head coaches that will never leave their program for somewhere else, because some expert on a forum said so, live?
  19. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    One and the same. All fantasy...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    He had 2 winning seasons in 7 years, and averaged a little over 4 wins per year. I thought his firing from UI was probably hasty, but I also don't fault a school for striving to be something better than average.

I think Zook took some unfair heat and was thrown into an impossible position, but his firing was justified and well timed to set up our next coach.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014