Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(VB) Ongoing Volleyball Thread

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by johnny_cakes, Apr 9, 2022.

1. swimswam

swimswam Freshman

Nov 27, 2022
    Gainesville, Florida
    Looks like we will have a full roster this year. After 3 season ending injuries, we were down to 13 players at times last year. Nice to have 20-21 players for 2024.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015
    Quantity has its own quality. Perhaps Coach KRF will take that concept on this off season as the women's basketball team scuffles to the finish line with woeful front court depth, again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I spoke with Alexis Stuckey today, and there was good news.
    She said her recovery was going well.
    This was funny; she said she had been cleared for some 'Jump Thingies.'.

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Sandman 70 and I made the trek to Tallahassee for the VB preseason match with FSU.
    First, I will give the news of the players:
    Madi Gravlee, Kira Hutson, Emerson Hoyle, Alexis Stuckey, and Gaby Cornier did not dress.
    Madi only used her left hand and arm doing some passing warmups.
    Kira still does not have a full range of motion in her right arm and shoulder.
    Emerson had her knee wrapped. I cannot remember if it was the same one with the dislocated kneecap, but that would be logical.
    Alexis is still rehabbing from her ACL injury from last year. She is not wearing a brace. And, as I had mentioned before, she told me she had been cleared for some jumpy things.
    Gaby had no apparent reason.

Of course, they will only rush these ladies back after they are ready.

The most surprising thing was that Sophia Victoria was dressed out and played. We thought there had been an announcement that she was transferring to UCLA. It is strange.
    The match: We won the first set 25-23. We lost the second 18-25 and the third 11-15. We won the fourth set 15-11. Please don't hold me to those scores, but the results are correct.

Observations
    FSU was farther along in team chemistry than the Gators. Maybe they were older, but they have five freshmen and an RS Freshman on the roster.
    We played three freshmen and an RS Senior.
    Parkes is a freshman setter who should still be in HS. She does a pretty good setting, but as Muff did last year, she sometimes needs to set it higher for our tall outside hitters.
    Ella was hot and cold but improved as the match went on.
    Isabel Martin, the transfer from UNLV, started slowly but had some excellent attacks as the match continued.
    Alec Rothe had her ups and downs but made some nice attacks as the match progressed.
    AC and Kennedy were up and down, but they will be all right except for serving. They both had multiple service errors. These will have to be cleaned up or changed to another style.
    Elli, Emily, and Trinity had their moments but will improve with more practice and practice to mesh with the new players.
    Gabbie and Sophia had their ups and downs.
    If, and that is a big If we can get our injured players back, we should have an excellent team. If not, then we may struggle.

There was a pretty good Gator contingent there. The crowd was a lot larger than I would have imagined.
    I am looking forward as we progress.
    IMG_1697.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. robboy1

robboy1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for the insightful observations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser GC Legend

Oct 9, 2008
    Kennedy Martin and Alexis Stucky were walking around the Sunshine Classic today in Orlando and were very gracious with the kids.

• Like Like x 4
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Honoring Mary Wise - Women's History Month:

Gators Volleyball on X: "A trailblazer with an undeniable impact on our sport In honor of March being Women’s History Month, we celebrate and honor incredible women who have served as a role model for past, present and future generations! #GoGators https://t.co/xWLWJ6uuNW" / X (twitter.com)

We will see national championships added to these historic accomplishments over the next few years. CMW is going out with a bang having saved the best for last.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Much appreciated ET.

Coach Wise is an under-appreciated institution at UF IMO.
    Really, REALLY want to see her tag that National Championship trophy to add to a magnificient and dominant career.

I enjoy watching the lady Gators play Vollyball.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Agree - To me, Mary Wise & Mike Holloway are the 2 best coaches in any sport in UF history.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tim Walton is right there as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Is anybody coming to UCF tonight?
    It will be interesting to see what progress we have made since FSU. They were playing their last spring match, and we were playing our first, and it was evident.
    I am looking forward to seeing our improvement.
    It is at 6 pm in the Venue.

• Like Like x 1
  13. novagatorguy

novagatorguy Freshman

Aug 20, 2023
    Will love to hear your report on how the volleyball team has progressed!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    @sandman70 and I trekked to Orlando and back to watch our VB ladies play UCF in an exhibition match.
    UCF plays in the Venue, a 2,000-seat intimate arena. It is a great place to watch VB as you are close to the action. I would like to have a 3,500 to 4,000 sq. ft. arena like it at UF.
    Those who did not dress were Stuckey (ACL), Hoyle (Knee), Hutson (Shoulder), Gravlee (Shoulder), and Cornier (Injury Unknown).
    Emily Canaan was the Libero in the first two sets, and Elli was a DS. They switched for the last two sets.

The first two sets were very competitive. We fell behind 11-19 in the first set but then won 26-24.
    We fell behind in the second set and came back again 25-23.
    We controlled the match in the third and fourth sets and won 25-21 and 25-15.

All of the players who dressed played quite a bit.
    Kennedy was her usual stellar self. She and Taylor are still working on timing, but when the set is high enough, she hits the ball straight down and is just about unstoppable.
    Taylor is getting there but does not set the ball high enough at times.
    Emily acquitted herself well at Libero. She is not Elli, but she has not played there since HS.
    AC had an on-and-off night. She did have some strong attacks but missed several. Interestingly, in the first two sets, she served her regular serve, the old hit-or-miss. In the last 2 sets she put the ball in play and was much more successful. I wish she were 3 inches taller.
    Trinity was steady as usual.
    One great thing is that Amaya played more than I have ever seen her and made some very good plays at MB. She had several blocks and cleaned up some overpasses.
    Gabby was great in the middle and had blocks and kills. She and Taylor worked well together.
    Our only freshman DS, Ella Vogel had a good match. She was inconsistent at times, just like all freshmen.
    Our frontcourt newbies are freshman Alec Roth, OH, and Redshirt Senior Isabel Martin, OH. Both had some good moments.
    Our main problem is learning to work together, calling the balls, and timing. This is only our second spring exhibition, and it was much better than at FSU. I knew something was wrong in Tallahassee (well, we know there. are many things), but FSU was playing their last exhibition and our first. They were much more cohesive than we were.
    We sat behind Taylor Parks' grandmother and grandfather. They are very nice. I spoke with Amaya's family and an Asian man, Steve, who was very involved in the match.

Bella Lee, a DS who will enroll in June, and two of her friends sat in front of us. They all played together at Plant HS in Tampa. Her friends are also D1 signees at Tennessee and Furman. It is amazing to have three D1 signees on one team. We were responsible fans and taught them and Taylor's grandparents to stand up on set points and yell yes and no.
    Also coming in June are freshmen Lauren Harden, OH, and Jaela Auguste, OH, and Graduate Transfer from Maryland Erin Engel, S.

And one of the most surprising things of the night: Sophia Victoria was nowhere to be seen. She announced she was transferring to UCLA, but showed up in Tally and played. If anyone has any information on this, please let us know.
    Here is a link if you want to know more about the new players.
    https://floridagators.com/news/2024...s-add-two-florida-natives-to-2024-roster.aspx

I certainly did not plan to write this much, so you may have to read it in installments.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  15. robboy1

robboy1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So awesome of you to report such a detailed report for those of us unable to attend. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great summary of a fun and entertaining evening, thanks for posting Scrappy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 91gator

91gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks Scrappy. I was there with my 8th-grade daughter and her teammate from their middle school volleyball team. That was an amazing comeback in the first set. It is a nice place to watch a volleyball game. And thanks for posting the score of the 4th set. We were halfway out the door when it was announced there would be a 4th set and didn't stay. Glad we won it, and got the extra work in.

18. 91gator

91gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando,FL
    I'm sad Sophia Victoria isn't part of the team anymore. I liked her, but she probably wouldn't have got much playing time this year once everyone is healthy. She's from PR like my wife, so that gave a small chance of hope that my wife would watch the VB games with my daughter and me. Anyway, that didn't really work out :).

19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  20. novagatorguy

novagatorguy Freshman

Aug 20, 2023
    I think Next Saturday, April 13, at 11:00 is a spring volleyball game/exhibition against Georgia Tech at the Lemerand Center. Does anyone know if it will be open to the public?