One singular reason why Wildcat w/Trey Burton DOES NOT work

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by danky1313, Sep 9, 2013.

1. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Trey NEVER hands the ball off.

I know he did at some point in past but I cant remember a time he has except maybe when he was a freshman and he ran the WC a lot.

The opposing team, coaches, players and fans too know it and that's why it doesn't work. They even mebtioned on the broadcast Saturday that Miami coaches told their players to swarm TB when he runs the wildcat.

It's one reason we've had some RZ difficulties in last 2 years because our coaches seem to always have to being him in to run it at least once a game or more in the RZ. He gets stopped for no gain or loses yards and then we gotta bring the QB back in a hole facing 2nd or 3rd and long.

You could blame Trey and call him a ballhog but this falls on coaching. It's the coaches who need to recognize the issue and coach him differently to do differently and make right reads or its up to them to stop calling something that is consistently a detriment against good teams and good coaches. It may work against UT or Jacksonville St. but good coaches and teams are gonna snuff that out almost every time.
  2. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    Well, last year I think he did try to pass the ball once on 4th down to his brother and muffed the pass completely.

Lately, though, we've seen his brother wouldn't catch it anyway...
  3. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    That was a fake field goal. Don't get me started on his brother catching the ball :)
  4. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,938
    To me the wildcat is a QB (whoever the ball is snapped to) run only scenario. That is the same in the NFL. What I don't understand is if he has some limited passing ability, why not try it when the win isn't an issue and pass the ball? Again, practice and work the kinks out in game speed. If we want anything else then run the spread option. We have a running QB and go ahead and use him that way.
  5. danky1313

danky1313 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    I agree that it should be run oriented and pass occasionally. I was talking more about actually handing ball off instead of keeping it.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    And then to make matters worse when he's caught in the backfield he tries to make up ground and reverse field like hes Percy Harvin and causes an even bigger loss.
  7. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Is Jeff too fast to run the Treywildcat?
    Wasted redzone play with Trey. Time to shoot the wildcat and bury it.
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    What stands out to me is how boring it really becomes after a while. I mean really coaches, this is your wrinkle?
  9. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Pease knows Jeff can run, right?

There is no reason to ever have Trey play QB
  10. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +488
    No, you don't get rid of it! He needs to either hand off or throw it some time, that's the only way to keep the D honest and on their heels! If he keeps it every time, he's going to lose yards every time, because the D knows what's going to happen before the ball is even snapped, and that's a misdirection that get's bounced to the outside EVERYTIME, and if nothing is there, he reverses back and get tackled for a loss of 5+ yards.

Hand off or throw it, simple as that. Even if it doesn't net a huge gain, it keeps the D honest.
  11. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Handing it off doesn't matter. I'd run an all out blitz every time they brought in the wildcat and not have the slightest worry.
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,938
    I understand, but using the NFL as a "go-by" the wildcat is run to run by the person handling the snap. The reason is simple: the real QB doesn't run, or if they do they are going to be punished. Now if you have a running QB, and let's say that is easier to do in college with a 240 lb guy than in the NFL, then why run it if the conventional play - spread option - does the same thing?

I am in agreement that if all Trey does is run the ball that the D is keying on only one kind of play. To me the key component of being the QB is that the passing threat, however small, is still in play. Otherwise, bring up 9 in the box and expect someone to run with it. To think it is putting more pressure on the D is just silly. JMHO
  13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    WHy don't we just let Driskel run the wildcat. He is pretty damn fast too and bigger than Burton. Plus, the announcers mentioned that when we run Wildcat, the defense sends 11 guys to tackle Burton because he isn't throwing it.
  14. jcp

jcp VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +419
    What I don't understand about our wildcat is that we have a running QB...

I am not denying TB has had some nice plays from it. But it is extremely predictable.

Speaking of being predictable... I did not like the 4th and 1 play that we chose for the 4th down we didn't get. I did like going for it though.
  15. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +162
    We don't (shouldn't) need gimmicks to be successful if we'd open up the offense. Sometimes throwing on first down (unexpected) works better then trying to run the ball when that's expected.
  16. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    Burton's such a weapon. would prefer him in the slot or as a fullback being passed to in the flats

Sent from my mind using ESP
  17. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    bingo - it's the one thing Jeff is consistently good at and they take him off the field for Burton.

I said it game 1 when Toledo stuffed Trey's second attempt - the Wildcat needs to be retired.
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Because he's not a threat to throw it.
  19. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    keep burton in the slot--he's no threat at QB
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    It really is a head scratcher as you have all of these professional coaches making millions of dollars and for some reason we keep running this thing the same way. I realize it worked in the past against UT especially but teams have figured it out which means it is an easy touchdown if you do something different out of that formation. Have him handoff, run like he always does to one side but throw the football as an option, hell even the jump pass out of that formation would be wide open. I have not seen any creativity or variations on the plays we ran last year and that is the most frustrating part.