Once again I like our schedule

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jul 5, 2013.

1. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Yeah, 20 same starters from a mediocre team. They won't get better. Remember, only the Gators get better during the offseason!!! :D

The East is almost always decided in Jax! USC can't seem to ever close out a season. As for Tennessee... Maybe a couple of more years if they're lucky.
  2. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,105
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,585
    This game will be 50/50 as far as attendance goes. Guarantee that.
  4. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +238
    I would rank the opponents in terms of difficulty as such: UGA, LSU, USC, scUM. The UGA game will be interesting, because both teams are coming off a bye week after potentially upstart away games. This the scariest UGA team will face for a while, since they are returning a lot of the offense and many pieces of a pretty good defense. scUM is scary because it is a heated rivalry, and I expect a few key injuries in that game. LSU has reloaded pretty well, and the offense has shown that it can be good.

I like this year's schedule better than last year's, because we spend less time on consecutive road games and we get a break before the key SEC East showdown.
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Close out? They lost 2 tough road games in Baton Rouge and Gainesville back-to-back. They were right there with LSU till the end and just collapsed against us. They came back and beat Clemson and Michigan to close their season.
  6. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,452
    THEY PLAY IN THE ACC!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    I never like our schedule. I typically like Georgia's and occasionally Bama's, but seldom ours.

Miami doesn't worry me overmuch. They will be much better this year under the second season of a new coaching staff and with plenty of kids returning, but they were pretty bad last year despite terrible competition and I don't consider playing there much of a disadvantage for us (unless I somehow missed that it is still the late 80s or early 90s).

I am not terribly confident about LSU, UGA, or South Carolina, but our talent, experience, and relative continuity this season is enough to make 9-3 the floor, in my opinion.
  8. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    FSU plays in the ACC and has caused problems in the past. What conference does Louisville play in? Not in the SEC! Two teams will line up and one will win. Let's hope that team is the Gators.
  9. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +589
    Close out may not have been the best phrase to describe it, but I think you catch my drift. They always seem to be (legitimately) in the race for the SEC(e) at some point, but they can never get it done. They did it in 2010 before getting thumped by Auburn in the SECCG, but IIRC, they lost to Kentucky that year. I say again.... Kentucky.
  10. mulegator

mulegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    Steele says Miami has 10 starters returning on offense and 8 on D. Most of his computers project 10 wins for the canes.

Don't sleep on Miami. That game will be VERY tough.
  11. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +589
    I get what everyone is saying, but I'm not sure the WILL be tough. I think it's fair to say that they might be tough.

Splitting hairs? Possibly...
  12. lean_gator

lean_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    When did that happen? Since when in the hell is Miami back? They got their teeth knocked in vs anybody with a pulse last year.
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +722
    From Vegas Insider-"Miami is the ‘chalk’ to win the ACC Coastal with +250 odds. The Hurricanes went 7-5 last season and didn’t accept a bowl bid for the second straight year in order to hopefully satisfy postseason penalties that could be looming from the NCAA investigation based upon the action of rogue booster Nevin Shapiro.

Al Golden’s team has 10 starters back on offense and eight starters returning on defense. Most of UM’s skill players are back, including senior QB Stephen Morris, who threw for 3,345 yards with a 21/7 TD-INT ratio last year.

Duke Johnson, a sophomore RB and special-teams playmaker, rushed for 947 yards and 10 TDs as a true freshman. Johnson averaged 6.8 yards per carry and scored three other TDs (two on kick returns, one receiving TD).

If Morris and Johnson remain healthy, Miami should have one of the ACC’s most prolific offenses. However, last season’s defense surrendered 30.5 PPG. Obviously, this unit has to play better."
  14. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Missouri loses virtually no one from last year. They will be a tough out on the road.
  15. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    We are 4-11 vs Miami in the last 15 games.....WOW
    Last win in Miami.....1985.....Go Gators
  16. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +722
    Miami has 53 letterman returning to our 41
  17. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Debose may very well be the X-Factor, he has the talent that has been displayed by anyone else. Hope he realizies this is his gateway to the NFL/millionaire status.
  18. WeWinWeEat

WeWinWeEat Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    We got lucky last year with some close wins. Polar opposite of 2011 when we lost all the close games. But we learned Champ knows how to coach a D. We'll be competitive because of that, but until Jeff proves he can throw the ball beyond the his first target, we'll have some games that are too close for comfort.

Beating UGA will go a long way.
  19. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I view stats for Miami players (Morris, Johnson, et al) the same way I view FSU stats - fairly meaningless when you look at the conference in which they piled up those stats. Certainly isn't a sure win but I think we'll beat them, I just can't see a team as mediocre as Miami was last year improving in one season enough to beat us, returning starters or no returning starters.
  20. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Beating Georgia, I used to think this was a gimme. Now they have a good passing QB and we just want to run the ball. The team that can do both wins. It is up to Boom, Pease and Driscol to be able to mix it up and win this game.

As for LSU on the road, whoa. Miami in Miami, with a decent QB, kind of reminds me of Louisville, which we now know we didn't show up to play.

Somehow, our offense doesn't mirror Boise States. They actually mixed it up. So far, us mixing it up, is running on 1st and 2nd down, then if we haven't move a couple of yards due to the stacking of the DL, then we try throw. I hope for better play calling than this. We have been here before with Doug Dickey. How about Whitey Jordan. Just saying, the jury is out, Show Me!