Once again I like our schedule

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jul 5, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432
    Many believe that we have the toughest schedule in the nation. Whether it is or it's not doesn't matter because we own it. Looking closely at it, I believe we have real shot at winning the East and perhaps more. Much depends on how our outstanding recruits and transfers are able to contribute as well as gel with our returning group of veterans.

Why should I be optimistic in the face of such a daunting slate? First our coaches. Last year Will and staff won eleven games. Some of these like FSU, A&M and LSU were gems in terms of his management. Like it or not we had just enough offense and one of the best Gator defenses in the last decade which allowed us to prevail.

Second there are compelling reasons to believe that our offense will be much improved. Talent and depth on the O line have increased with our two transfers and new recruits. We have an outstanding group of freshman wide receivers coming in to supplement Dunbar, Patton and Debose. Running back talent has been beefed up with Taylor and Lane added to Jones and Brown. Driskel has all the physical ability and now a full year of SEC experience under his belt.

Third, last year our defense was extraordinary. This year will have somewhat less
    experience and position questions still to be answered. But with plenty of talent existing and perhaps the best defensive head coach in the country we should be fine.

On Special teams a place kicker needs to step forward to replace Sturgis. Stellar punting by Christy should be a strength again. Team speed and spectacular plays should continue.

IMHO barring unforeseen circumstances here is the scenario I see for
    our Gators this season.

2013 Schedule

8/31 Toledo- W
    9/7 at Miami- Tossup
    9/14 OPEN DATE
    9/21 Tennessee-W
    9/28 at Kentucky -W
    10/5 Arkansas W
    10/12 at LSU-Tossup
    10/19 at Missouri-Tossup
    10/26 OPEN DATE
    11/2 Georgia (in Jacksonville)-W
    11/9 Vanderbilt-W
    11/16 at South Carolina-L
    11/23 Georgia Southern-W
    11/30 Florida State-W
  2. Gator033

Gator033 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    why would you have missouri as a tossup, and georgia as a win? we should beat miami as well
  3. mulegator

mulegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    The toughest games on our schedule .. miami, lsu, georgia, south carolina and fsu are ALL tossups. I'll say 4-1 but 3-2 against that group would still be highly respectable.

Missouri and Vandy could both be trap games but my crystal ball has two wins in those games.

Against the toughest schedule in the country .. 10-2 would be highly respectable. 11-1 would be damn near awesome.
  4. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +250
  5. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    I would be very surprised to see us go 4-1 against those teams. at Miami, at South Carolina, at LSU, vs. Georgia, and vs. Florida State are all very tough games. I see us going 3-2 in those toss-up games, with a strong possibility of going 2-3(Muschamp hasn't proven he can beat Georgia). I still think we will go 9-3.
  6. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +432
    Missou is an away game against the team we struggled to get by last year. They will be looking to beat us for revenge and to finally prove that they can play with the big boys in the SEC.

I was just about alone and thoroughly condemned here before the game last year pointing out we were likely to have a problem with the DAWGS! They lost a lot defensively to the NFL in the draft and have many holes to fill. Jarvis Jones is gone thank God! Finally I don't think Richt is all he's cracked up to be and Ga will run out of luck against us.

I grew up in Coral Gables within a few miles of the UM campus and follow their fortunes more than I suspect others here do. Miami has talent from South Florida and one of the better QB's in the country in Morris. The Gators are universally despised 1) for "the Flop" decades ago and two 2) we dropped them from our schedule as a rival game on a regular basis. Also, Miami will feel the sting of NCAA sanctions soon and will have an us against the world mentality. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE CANES, THEY HATE US LIKE NO OTHER TEAM! This is in their house and for once they will have a crowd.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    If we win against UL, people are talking championship.

Since we lose, people are talking about losing to teams that sucked last season. :roll:
  8. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Agree about miami. They are back and that will be a tough tough battle.
  9. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +432
    We didn't win and personnel and coaches leave.
  10. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    I don't mean anyone in particular here.. just fans, media.. etc all do the same thing every year. Its the nature of the beast I guess.
  11. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +432
    You are right about that.
  12. pinecrestgator

pinecrestgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    They will be tough but they are not back by any means. They have a good senior QB, a good young RB, a big veteran OL and good young WRs. They also have some good young talent in the Secondary with Deon Bush and Tracy Howard. Yes, they hate us more than anyone on our Schedule this year. This game will be their Superbowl. Still, we have superior depth and coaching. We should be able to wear them down in the second half. We just have to make sure we don't get bum-rushed early on like we did against Louisville.

I also expect pease and the offense to have a field day with their defense. I expect muschamp to adjust to their offense and completely shut them down in the second half.
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +432
    Pinecrestgator your assessment is very close to my own, but the Canes should not be taken for granted!
  14. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    so the 7-5 miami team that was destroyed by kansas state and blown to pieces by Notre Dame and losses to UNC, UVA, and FSU and gave up their bowl game to save the axe from the NCAA is all of a sudden a top ten team?

I have a feeling that this will be a statement game and we will kick their ass in their home stadium that they rent with more Gator fans than SCUM fans on national TV.
  15. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Not saying we beat Miami (Im superstitious) but this is what I'm talking about. We lose to UL and all of a sudden crap teams from last year look like world beaters to some people. They are probably the same crowd that said we would go 7-5 last season and might not make a bowl game.
  16. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +432
    PMking the Canes may have the best young breakaway back in the country in Duke Johnson. He's a big play guy who has scored on kickoffs and long runs out of the backfield. Miami's weakness last year was an inexperienced defense. Most of it returns battle hardened and a decent recruiting class is added. This QB is an excellent passer with great stats and mobility. Their wr's can produce and their O Line has experience. This is not the same inexperienced squad as last year and should not be taken lightly. That said I hope you are correct, but I'm won't take it to the bank yet!
  17. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    its part of being a gator fan, just like the threads about if we dont win at least 2 of three games at the beginning of the year Muschamp is gone.
  18. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    they were BLOWN out by ND! NOTRE FREAKING DAME! they didn't lose, the got it freaking handed to them.
  19. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Miami returns 20 starters.....Not going to be Easy
    1st 6 games......Home away home away home away.......strange
    3 games in a roll vs new coaches.........UT,UK,Ark
    IMO the East will be decided in JAX. Go Gators.......
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,217
    LSU is always going to be tough, but hey, that's why we play in the SEC. UGA is definitely not a gimme, neither is USC-E, and @ Mizzou worries me a bit. Play smart, we win, don't take it seriously, we lose.

I think Miami plays tough a half and then wilts from a lack of depth behind their starters.