OL issues more than meets the eye

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Speedgator84, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    well he will alo have a year of starting under his belt I never said that was the only thing keeping him from greatness. If you can find that post please quote it.

Because he dosnt have the feet for tackle in the SEC. Moore started a few games but when he transferred he was losing the position to another players.

Green wasnt setting the world on fire but he was hurt and better than Moore.

They will find a center to play around 4 veterans. If they dont they are gone
  2. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    This^^^
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Agree
  4. joynerk

joynerk New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    This crap we don't have offensive talent is absurd. The OL is trying to run block on every first down while our opposition is crashing the inside A & B gaps. Its like our OL trying to pass protect every 3 & 8, 3 & 10 pass play while our opponent is sending the world to the QB. Can we please help them (OL) just a little freaking bit by mixing it up more. I actually think we block pretty well considering the positions our offensive philosophy puts them in. I just don't understand. Frustrating to say the least.
  5. Gatorologist

Gatorologist Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    I thin we can all agree that our OL play is sub-par at best and that there are a number of causes:
    1) Recruiting
    2) Talent
    3) Injuries
    4) Coaching
    5) Play-calling

I'd like to address #4. I've stated this in other threads: Regardless of the other four issues I'm not seeing the first step, the engagement, the drive, the arm-punch or the inside holding that any OL coach worth his salt would be teaching. I know Tim Davis has extensive experience but he is not getting it done. Obviously Pease as OC is making it difficult, but the basics are not there.
  6. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    You're extremely optimistic about a unit that Florida has not been able to get to play high-level, SEC football at for the last several years. The reality is that you can argue that nobody in the country has done less with more talent at the position recently than the Gators.

Talent is not-and has not been-an issue. They just aren't playing quality football. We've seen back-breaking penalties, blown assignments, two tackles who obviously have struggled in almost every game and, regardless of whether or not Halapio's injured, just poor play at the position. And yes, coaching absolutely has something to do with the lack of production at the position. We are starting several "four-star" talents, and a guy who was rated the number one tackle coming out of high school. Garcia was the least highly-regarded, yet has been pretty consistent along the interior. This is a talented group of players.

I hate pointing fingers, but the staff needs to fool around with the idea of moving Garcia out to one of the tackle spots. Humphries has been a liability all season, and it wouldn't hurt to fool around with the idea of switching up personnel. With Missouri and their pass rush up next, the staff needs to figure out how to keep Tyler Murphy from getting his block knocked off. Because he's on the menu to get carried off on a stretcher if they don't fix this disaster. That kid didn't have a chance yesterday.
  7. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    I don't understand how the OL is so bad. This was my position when I played - played all five positions in HS - so I tend to watch that group more than most, maybe.

Lomas Brown was good for a holding call and two false starts per game his forst three years. He was also a little skinny. As a senior, it all came together for him and he is rightly considered the best OL in UF history. And went on to a 17-year, arguable HOF, NFL career. I see alot of Lomas in Humphries.

Whoever said that Green was better than Moore, I'd have to disagree with. I never saw Green block anybody. I'm hoping that a year off will help him with footwork, coordination and determination because he has the physical tools.

Honestly, while Humphries, Moore and Garcia will all be better with a year of seasoning, I don't see the OL being markedly better next year. We lose our 1st and 2nd team centers and a 1st team guard. So, we'll have two newbies (yes, Green is a newbie because he's yet to do anything) to go with three guys that are right now being hammered by everybody as ineffective. How does it get better? Somebody has got to do an extraordinary job of coaching them up.....or look our for Year Five of life in the SEC with a weak-to mediocre OL.
  8. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    I think Humphries will ultimately be a good tackle at Florida; I'm just afraid he's not ready right now. Most of these guys are cross-trained across the board, and we have three guys on the bench that we could fool around with. Koehne has played every position across the line. Why not give him-or somebody else-the start at LG and move out Garcia?

We heard that Trenton Brown was "going to play" this season for the Gators. Maybe you put him in at RT and see what he can do in SEC play.

Or maybe you just simplify things; I don't know. But the offensive line has been arguably the team's biggest liability for going on five years now...
  9. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +169
    You think that's a elite group of skill position players?

Burton's athletic but not a great receiver (routes, hands, getting open, speed) can't get open consistently against man-to-man coverage. Solomon Patton has good speed and decent hands but is small and also hasn't shown the ability to get open consistently against man coverage. Dunbar lacks elite speed. Robinson showed yesterday that he's going to be very good, but isn't yet (mental errors). Showers is a situational back. Taylor may be an elite RB, but needs to learn the protections better to be The Man.

I don't see any Ikes, and Percys, any Fasons, any Nattiels... Until we get better against man coverage, our run game is going to get squeezed by teams walking a safety up.

This is a good group that should be more productive than they are. They should be good enough for us to win with our defense. They are not the core of an explosive, prolific offense.