OL issues more than meets the eye

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Speedgator84, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    In a closer look at our OL, we need to be patient. For whatever reason, from 2010-2012 we signed a grand total of 6 OL. We bumped that number up to 6 in 2013, but we have yet to realize the contributions from this class. When you add in OL coaching changes, injuries, and the amount of talent that has left for the league, it really negates tremendous progress.

We are developmentally young when it comes to high-level competition as a unit. They are learning as a unit on the fly, and are not showing great discipline and confidence. For example, our main challenge vs. LSU was picking up blitzing linebackers and illegal procedure calls (moving before the snap). That is not indicative of an experienced (as a "unit" in big games) and disciplined offensive line.

This is not an excuse...its being real. Coach Davis is experienced and will get them better in time. We just have to continue to recruit good numbers, and encourage continuity and discipline as a unit. In the meantime, we must develop an offensive scheme that accents and utilizes their strengths.
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    i hope your right. im struggling to think of an offensive scheme that fits this o-line's strengths. mainly because i can't find a strength. just being honest. they were better at run blocking then in pass pro, but still the run blocking isn't by any level amazing
  3. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    We are too far along in Muschamp's tenure for recruiting errors to be affecting multiple units/areas.
  4. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Who else can you blame for the lack of players brought in besides the coaches. They need to sign at least 5 this year. We already have 3 granted none seem to be world beaters in my eyes. And no I'm not a coach but I'm not impressed with any that are committed on the ol. You can't tell me UF can't do better than what they have committed right now on the ol. Every one is ranked below 20 at their own position.
  5. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I dont know wht the timetable is for determining if we are too far along in WM's tenure, only JF knows that...but notice I did say "for whatever reason..." as it related to why we recruited 6 OL in three classes.
  6. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    I'm not insinuating he needs to be dismissed. Just an observation.
  7. Speedgator84

Speedgator84 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    No blame, just an observation

Yes, you can blame the coaches, but it wont help now. It appears that they realized that in signing 6 last year. I was just pointing out the fact that the lack of recruiting, injuries, and coaching changes have put us in this position and that we need stability and attention to detail in this regard to compete at a championship level!
  8. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    Based on that. It should be good news for the next guy.

Always better to follow the guy who followed THE GUY.
  9. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    True we only signed six in 3 years which ain't gonna cut it....not by a longshot. But...we supplemented that with 2 transfers and one Juco. Two of those transfers are starting now. That effectively means we got nine in those 3 years rather than just six. The OL should be better than this. We are in year 3 of the current regime. We should not be being told to be patient. We should be seeing results now.
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Recruiting was hurt with the coaching change, and we are about one great class away from being back to what I have always considered a complete team, in recruiting terms.

Of course these guys, on the road, made mistakes against a very good team. It is the part of the process no one wants to wait through.

We do need more big guys on both sides of the line for sure.
  11. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Losing to LSU on the road doesn't mean we are the worst team in the world, just not up to that level yet. It takes time for O linemen and the reason why most redshirt the first year.

Didn't someone say we signed 6 this year which would mean you will just have to wait on them to grow and learn.
  12. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,375
    I think Muschamp did an excellent job filling some gaping holes on both lines with JC and transfers. He did what he had to do to prevent the Titanic from sinking. More than anyone he knows how important the lines are and is recruiting there as hard as anyone.
  13. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    We are in year 3 of WM and imo the OL remains a weak link. We've had coaching changes before but I don't recall the OL being this bad consistently.
  14. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +631
    It seems to me that it would have to be more of a cohesion issue than a talent one.

We are starting 2 seniors (Harrison-the consensus best lineman on our team to many analysts; Halapio- someone who has registered meaningful playing time, or started for 4 years); 2 experienced transfers who started at other D1 programs (Tyler Moore- Nebraska; Max Garcia- Maryland); and 1 Sophomore (DJ Humphries- the consensus #1 lineman in his class).

On paper, that should be more impressive than most O-Line units in the SEC. However, we can all agree that they are closer to the bottom of the league than the top when it comes to effectiveness and execution.

I hope it really is a cohesion issue. If so, I hope they put things together quickly.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  15. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +877
    Halapio is playing injured and still starting despite constantly showing up on the replays following his guy to the quarterback? That tells you everything you need to know about our OL.
  16. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    I don't think there is anything "excellent" related to this "offensive" line
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ufrc86

ufrc86 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    What needs to happen:

DJ needs to get bigger. He was getting pushed all over yesterday.
    Halapaio needs to graduate. 4 years of below average play.
    Chaz Green needs to come back strong and move Tyler Moore back to guard where he should be.
    Quality depth next year will be a concern. We will miss Harrison and Koehne because of his versatility.
  18. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    What I don't understand is why is a guy not pulled after he blocks down to double team a DT when the DE in front of him burns in and murders the QB. I don't care how thin you are on OL, you need to put someone else in there for a play to ask the OL why that happened.
  19. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,777
    There are just simply way too many missed assignments to blame this on lack of talent.
    Assignments are a mental thing, perfected by drills in practice.
    We are not picking up rushers, holding our blocks, scheming our protection out of blitzes, or even picking up the snap count.
    But we sure as hell run a complicated run block scheme. It may not work, but it most certainly must take a lot of time in practice.
    It's not working. And coach speak on the issue is going to result in a lot of empty seats.
  20. 2ndGenGator

2ndGenGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    All injury jokes aside, Patchan played well in 2011 when healthy. I was disappointed that he was put out to pasture last year even though he still had a year of eligibility left. He is one of the more athletic OTs, not a converted guard. I think the coaches were comfortable with Green, Humphries, Moore and Garcia for the 2 deep. I would like to have seen Humphries and Patchan as bookends this year.

Patchan is playing well at Boston College this year.