OL in 2014

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Feb 7, 2014.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +437
    Snippets from Franz' thoughts of the day on the Offensive Line.

He has Chaz Green is a tackle although it wouldn't surprise me if Brown and Sarvary make a move at his slot and David Sharpe makes an impact when he arrives in the summer. I am looking for a big year from Humphries once healthy and in this new offense.

At guard a lot can happen including moving Green inside and perhaps even Garcia from center, where I was surprised to see Franz' list him as the starting center.

The two wildcards among redshirt freshmen are Roderick Johnson at guard and Cameron Dillard at center.

I hope that Dillard wins the job at center and that he spent last year carrying Harrison's lunch pail and absorbing all of the nuances necessary to play that position for the next 3-4 years.

TACKLES (7): Chaz Green (RFR); Trenton Brown (SR); D.J. Humphries (JR); Drew Sarvary (JR); David Sharpe (FR); Kavaris Harkless (FR); Andrew Mike (FR)
    The question of the spring: can new O-line coach Mike Summers convince the tackles that there is no rule against impeding pass rushers off the edge? Green missed all of last season, Humphries a good portion of it and Brown was never in shape. Sarvary is a juco transfer who could challenge for a spot this spring. Sharpe is already 318 and he has great feet. Don’t expect him to redshirt. Harkless is already enrolled but needs to gain strength and weight. Mike arrives in the summer.
    GUARDS (6): Trip Thurman (RJR); Tyler Moore (RJR); Octavius Jackson (RFR); Roderick Johnson (RFR); Nolan Kelleher (FR); Travaris Dorsey (FR)
    Pencil Johnson in as a starter. If he’s healthy, Moore probably moves from tackle to guard where he’s much better suited. Thurman played in all 12 games last year mostly on special teams. Kelleher is already in school and will get a lot of work in the spring. Dorsey is a grinder with size who arrives in the summer.
    CENTERS (2): Max Garcia (RJR); Cameron Dillard (RFR)
    Garcia played both guard and tackle last year. He moves to the middle this year. Dillard will be the backup after a redshirt year last year.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,294
    Trenton Brown can be a big factor. When he was in games last year, you could see the flashes of "wow" then quickly followed up by what seemed to be complacency or perhaps poor conditioning. If he takes it serious this offseason, spring and summer, I think the guy can be a really good one for us.

This line, if healthy should be good.
    • Agree Agree x 7
  3. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    We have some good depth at OL this upcoming year and that is crucial to winning SEC games.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    To be fair, I thought that Trenton Brown was asked to play out of position last year when we needed to throw bodies in the line. I remember someone commenting during a game that he really didn't want to play guard.
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,472
    IDK, but he needs to lose weight and get a bit more agile if he wants to play OT successfully. He is plenty long and strong - when he gets his hands on guys, most won't get by him. But he has to be able to move his feet and stay balanced.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,294
    I was actually thinking of when he played right tackle against Georgia. Am I not remembering that correctly??? I think he played right tackle vs. Georgia.
  7. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Interesting article you might want to finish reading about David Sharpe...

I was going to pass this on in a new thread but since the OP speaks about David Sharpe, just thought this was worth noting.

"Look no further than two players signed by Florida — former Providence High offensive tackle (now attending Fletcher) David Sharpe and Miami Washington quarterback Treon Harris, and another player already on its roster, freshman receiver Ahmad Fulwood.

Sharpe is a textbook recruiting enigma. Physically, the 6-foot-7, 300-pound lineman has the size and frame to be a fabulous player. Gators coach Will Muschamp raves about his “great feet.” But by many accounts, Sharpe lacks a nasty streak. I’ve talked to coaches who played against him and others at Providence, and that was the overwhelming consensus. The recurring theme about Sharpe is he loves basketball, but that same desire level isn’t there in football.

Maybe that’s why one recruiting service (espn.com) had him ranked No. 20 nationally, while Rivals.com didn’t include Sharpe in its top 250.

“[Sharpe] is tough to evaluate. His ceiling is so high [in football] because you can’t teach his physical measurables,” said Farrell. “If he falls in love with football and gets coached up at Florida, he could be a first-round draft pick. But right now, he’s a patty-cake offensive lineman. Watching tape, he’s just not physical.”

http://members.jacksonville.com/spo...-frenette-recruiting-services-cant-measure-it
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,472
    Nice find, jag. Patty cake won't last long, or he won't last long.
  9. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +437
  10. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    You may be right, I'm trying to forget large parts of the 2013 season.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,919
    And I hope we get five more good ones next year, to keep that needed depth.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,919

That will change...
  13. sgtfury

sgtfury Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    If they can whip Bama at Bama then I would say we have a keeper OL. Til then they are the weak link in the chain since 09!
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,402
    Jack Daniels works great in that effort.:)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1