Ok, who do you want gone, and who do you want here?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Nov 9, 2013.

1. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Ok buddy. Whatever you say. I'm sure nick Saban and all the studs are lining up to coach at Florida.

You're the rational one. Unless you are desperate for money, the Florida job really isn't that appealing. Far better, if you are capable, to do a spurrier and get over 3 million a year and get celebrated for 2 to 5 loss seasons. Not bad job security compared to nearly the same money in a pressure cooker that you better win consistently without excuses with a somewhat arrogant and irrational fan base.

If the firing happens, going to be Interesting to see how far down the list foley has to go for a proven experienced head coach.
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    We need a proven winner. We can't replace Muschamp with another AC or mid major coach that hasn't proven that he can deal with this monster job.

That's why I'm not sold on Franklin. Some coaches do well at high pressure places, others only excel where there are low expecations. I feel Franklin is one of the latter.
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    This is my fear, and I think you are on to something here. I'm of the belief that you have to try to do something, but keep this point in the back of your mind.

Do not pull the plug unless you are convinced that you can find an upgrade.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I just want almost all our offensive coaches replaced as well as whoever is our kicking/STs coach.
  5. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Love this!
  6. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    THIS. Many of my friends from college keeping saying, "We can't get Saban. We can't get Kelly. We can't get Sumlin. We can't get Petersen." My response is, SO WHAT? We don't need a rockstar head coach to win. We just need someone who knows wtf they're doing, who isn't learning on the job, and who hasn't showed ineptitude when it comes to well rounded coaching. Everyone needs to remember, our last coach was some no-name who was coaching at Bowling Green at one point. We don't need a coach who has already solidified himself as a rockstar at a big program...we build rockstars provided we're given something more than cows**t to work with.
  7. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Saban is winning at Bama because he can do anything he wants with no retribution from the school or the NCAA. I may be by myself on this, but I don't want anything to do with Saban and how he runs a program.
  8. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    We've had 3 different guys calling the plays under CWM and the offense has stunk under each. Cwm is the only common denominator.
  9. Speedofsand

Speedofsand New Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    Haha ^ this fan cracks me up.
  10. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Three?
  11. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Lets take a rational look: Sumlin? USC or he stays. Briles? 60 and not leaving Texas. Petrino? Nonstarter for this University. Morris? Unproven OC. Smart? Unproven DC. Shaw? NFL bound. Peterson? Not leaving Boise. Strong? Not an upgrade. Patterson? Not leaving TCU for Florida probably terrible fit.

Part of the thought process has to be who can you get to replace him. The most likely replacement would be Stoops. But he is only willing to jump now because of his chronic underachieving at OU.

Yes you do need a rockstar. Otherwise the fan base will not accept the results unless thy are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  12. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Might be finally the right time for Stoops!
  13. amangator08

amangator08 Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    This.
  14. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Good man. Sometimes we all get too caught up in who will be right and who will be wrong. Foley needs to clean house, if he feels it in his head and heart, he needs to get a grip and do now what will be done anyway. Time is of the essence.

Everyone supports whoever is on the gator sideline for any game. They should.

Muschamp is learning on the job. We'd all agree to that. Many would say you never stop learning. Not Meyer now, not even Chizik who took two head jobs to win a championship, despite failing upward, hitting the Newton/Malzahn jackpot then crashing miserably immediately after. Luck has a lot to do with it. Muschamp will be a great coach somewhere, just like Saban was eventually.

We've done some lucky school's dirty work, whether we exposed his head coaching abilities at a primo job, or proved just how entrenched he is as a million dollar DC (hello UGA.) We're in a situation where we can honestly say, "just give him a couple more years" after year 3... at THE Florida school.

There just isn't enough in Muschamp's quiver to justify his product, not that he makes excuses (props to him.) There are facts. Trends if you will. Record, offense, penalties, 1st half defense, not meeting recruiting needs in first 1.5 classes. 3 years of wandering in the dark, even falling forward in a 11 win season, only to turn around and post the first TRULY painful losing record at UF. Even if you think with your heart, ie Muschamp inherited an Armageddon program, etc. Do you not feel in your heart we were a true 11 win team last year? More puzzling luck again..

Muschamp's "reason" for this... Really bad injuries in 2013. Easley out really hurts, I get that. I won't go into the "difference" of not having guys like Driskel, Debose, Green, Jones, and DJ and Moore at the time of their injuries.
    Florida football is a business, and Foley must stick with what he knows for sure when deciding what "might" be best for the Gators in the future.

This team is a few years away from competing in the SEC with this staff intact.

You never stop learning, but this year we learned nothing about the team due to injuries? So does that default by putting big time expectations back to 2015 instead of 2014? Wouldn't it have to? Wouldn't it still be likely that UF under a new coaching regime be at least as good in 2-3 years as Muschamp then? Forgot, we wouldn't get Grier. Yeah right. But we wouldn't have the proven recipe for sh*tshow offense either.

Things are happening around us.. Injury riddled Ole Miss beating a damn good LSU team, Auburn firing its HC two years removed from a NC. Shouldn't we accept that luck swings both ways? Hell, we used to accept that Miles had the good luck of maintaining a NC program. He's just now getting his dues as a great head coach.

Is UF's situation not close enough to consider bringing in a new guy on the tried and true 3 year contract?

3 year trend VS 2013 injuries... Hmmmmm....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    That dude has to be a troll to say that crap.
  16. tommyvee

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Learning on the job? How about unlearning on the job.
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +759
    This was my thought until today.
  18. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    Meyer was some "no name?" He was the most coveted head coach in the country. Have you lost your mind?
  19. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Agreed. He was a hot shot at BGU then Utah(I think COY at Utah actually). ND and us wanted him badly. They underbid.
  20. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I didn't mean when he came from Utah. I meant that once upon a time, every "rockstar" coach has been an obscure name. Meyer wasn't always coveted. At one point, he was just some guy who had coached at Bowling Green. Even coming out of Utah he was a hot commodity but not a superstar. We gave him the platform to do that.

My point was that we don't necessarily need a superstar to find success here. Proven coach? Maybe. Experienced? Certainly. But whoever it isn't doesn't have to be an obvious home run hire. Look at guys at their first job like Malzahn, Shaw, Helfrich, etc. Hell, even Carroll had done a whole lot of nothing when he took the USC job in '00.