Ohio State QB Joe Burrow (Potential Grad Transfer)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,021
    Absolutely we are both speculating- or at least I am. And there's no disrespect here- you are one of the better posters. But I do have a question.

How do you know that your last sentence is true? How did you learn that Grier and his daddy, as you put it, wanted a 100% guarantee. Wasn't it the story put out by Mac?

Grier says that didn't happen. He says he just wanted to meet with Mac to be assured he would still be welcomed back. He didn't get that assurance.

Per this story in SDS...
    Why Will Grier ultimately transferred from Florida

So it comes down to who you believe.
    I used to believe Mac over a drug-taking QB who got himself suspended for a year.

Now I see them as equally unreliable.

So I go to the facts I DO know...
    1) Grier took a RS his first year. That speaks volumes to me over his entitlement. Entitled players don't RS.
    2) A friend of a friend of a friend knows Grier. He thinks the world of him.
    3) Mac is an arrogant ass who disrespected many of our non-revenue sports- including the great soccer coach Becky Burleigh.
    4) Mac is an arrogant ass who said he could win with Clarabell the dog as QB.
    5) WG being on the team certainly complicated life for Mac and since Mac didn't think he needed Grier, it would make Mac's life better by having Grier gone.
    6) Grier effectively prolonged his suspension by another 1/2 year by leaving. Leaving UF certainly didn't make his life easier.
    7) Since Mac knew he would be second-guessed on letting WG go, then the only way to save face is to say WG made an outrageous demand. Notice how this narrative gets Mac off the hook and makes Mac look like the better person. "I stood up to entitled athlete's demand."

So with all this, and more, I don't trust Mac's version of events. If you know of another source on this outside of Mac, I'm open to changing my opinion.

As I said- I could be wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,799
    I heard Grier gave Mac a death threat. You heard it here first......
    • Funny Funny x 6
  3. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,849
    Maybe Greir could come back...just sayin.:emoji_astonished::emoji_sake: "Ya know where I can score a, ya know, protein shake?"

This message Sponsored by: GNC and the people that bring you Crest teeth whitening strips:eek::D

Well, it's mid-May-and a long off-season!

Go Gators. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +14,447

You got some good instinct on Mac and got most of that right, at least according to what I've heard about Mac and Grier.

As for Burrow, there are a couple of others who have made an assumption about him and they are pretty much accurate... Burrow has a bit of an attitude issue (not a "trouble-maker" kind of attitude mind you), and wants to be guaranteed a starting spot where ever he goes.

From what I've heard he's communicated with UF at least once when he announced his transferring but I don't know what was said, but Mullen has publically stated he feels good about the QB's he has, and we do have a very good Jalen Jones committed too.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,445
    It does make some that Burrow would want some assurances before he decided where to transfer. That would fit, particularly since he is leaving OSU where he would have to compete for the job. If that is the case, it makes sense that Mullen wouldn't be pursuing him.
  6. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,026
    Can’t go along with Mullen here. We need a QB if we want to be competitive this year. Either he thinks Emory is really going to blow up this summer or he is putting some misguided faith in Franks. This is almost Mac-esque. Going after Appelby but not Davis Webb. Waiting till the last minute to go after Stidham. Let’s see how this plays out.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,551
    Looks like we are hijacking this thread. I was kind of afraid of that.
    Anyway, what I've heard about Grier from insider sources tells me to take what he says with a grain of salt.
    Let's just say the stuff he was busted for wasn't bought at GNC, or was even a performance enhancer. Also the stories about his insecurities and demands falls in line with someone who would ask for a guarantee.
    And not all people who know Grier personally think the world of him. I can assure you that.
    Nobody know for sure the conversation between Mac and Grier, maybe they are both liars.
    Whatever the case, Grier had the final decision on where he wanted to go, and he chose to leave.
    Him having such success at WV makes it hard to reconcile for us fans. That, I do recognize.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,562
    Do you honestly think Mullen is unaware of what he needs to run his offense?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator GC Hall of Fame

Democratic People's Republic of California
    Ratings Received:
    +1,678
    I think Florida should stop taking QBs did not make the Florida Gators their #1 choice straight out of high school and focus on the ones who stayed with the program through multiple head coaches. Of course, my answer would be different if the next Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson, or Troy Aikman were on the market right now, but Joe Burrow is not them. With the benefit of hindsight, we can look at footage of Mayfield, Wilson, and Aikman and see qualities that made them succeed in high school and at a second university after transferring. Nothing I see in Joe Burrow shows me that he is going to be the savior of any team, much less the Gators. Now, if he decided to transfer here I would welcome him. From what I know of the Ohio State offense the majority of the plays will be similar enough to make a decent transition; however, the latest pair of OCs at Ohio State have modified the offense to be a bit more different from the Urban Meyer offense that Dan Mullen learned.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TJHooker

TJHooker GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Unless you completely hit a home run, graduate transfers at QB set you team back. You are renting a guy for 1 year, while at the same time, not giving your younger guys a year of playing experience. I personally have seen enough of that for a while.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Ratings Received:
    +324
    I agree with that except that Burrow would be eligible for 2 years. That said, I'm sure Mullen knows more than we do about the situation.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,562
    Maybe so but when your qbs are treon Harris, skylar mornigwheg, Franks, Allen, etc you gotta take any potential upgrade.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,239
    I feel like some people seem to think this is Mullen's choice. It's not. It's Burrow's choice. Mullen has no say what-so-ever as to where Burrow's goes.

If we are not going after Burrow's then that is almost certainly because of Burrow's, not Mullen.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +14,447

I agree we should just let it play out too... As perhaps Burrow would reconsider UF? I sure wouldnt mind him being here but I also believe he should have to fight for a spot like all the other QB's.

We shall see I suppose...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,794
    Developing Story: Sources telling me #UF Head Coach Dan Mullen told those close to him he wasn’t interested in QB Joe Burrow because Mr Burrow once made a poor comment about Mullen’s wife. Dan has not forgotten and is not a fan.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,799
    Was Burrow a bag boy at the Lakeland Publix at the time?
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,268
    We'll find out in a few months.
  18. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,122
    Most of yall are overlooking the fact that Burrows' 2 years of eligibility is one of the bigger deal breakers for him. We may have extra spots this year, but we are very tight for the 2019 class (16 barring early exits if I recall). If Mullen doesn't want to waste a 2019 initial counter for a guy who might be a marginal upgrade this year, I cannot blame him. We may have to take our lumps this year, but I have confidence that he will be working on E Jones to get him ready for next year.

And for those of you who think he is a close 1b at Bucknut U, think about this: The only 2 P5 coaches who have answered this guy's phone calls are Coach "I'm Bat S@#% Crazy" O and Larry "I'm 3-9 and desperate" Fedora.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,794
    We already know what Mullen is going to do. Without an established QB he is going to lean very heavily on the run game until he has a QB that’s comfortable running his plays.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,600
    Who is that from?