Ohio State QB Joe Burrow (Potential Grad Transfer)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Apr 10, 2018.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,573
    Barrow, Alaska?
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,599
    I have to wonder if he's looking for a guarantee and theres only a handful of schools willing to give it to him
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +14,436
    I know he's not coming to UF, so this thread is basically irrelevant to me, but it's like driving by a fatal car crash on the interstate... you just can't help but slow down to look when you pass by the terrible scene.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,599
    and since it's the offseason, there's only about 3 threads worth even checking in on
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,796
    Yeah I was surprised to see Barrow in my own texts - thinking autocorrect may be a factor
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    That's how warm Mullen is on him.
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,644
    When did we become TransferU?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,796
    8 years of sh!tty coaching will do that
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,561
    What about Mullen makes anyone question his plan for this program?

He isn't a first time head coach.

He isn't a 1st time head coach in the sec.

He has past experience with this school's potential as well as expectations.

He appears to have a disciplined focus on all aspects of a program including strength and conditioning.

He's returning us to a spread offense.

I've said it before but if there was ever a time to trust the coaches now is the time.
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +13,630
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +771
    Actually I think it is Mayas (Irvin).
  12. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,561
    Lol.

I always assume a coach who spends everyday living football knows what's best for a team compared to fans. Mac got me though as I can't believe a coach could neglect something as fundamental as strength and conditioning. I was wrong about that guy. Mullen however seems to have his finger on every aspect of this program. If we don't go after a transfer at this point its because there is no shot at him or we don't want him. Either way....
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,021
    This especially is a great point.
    And let me add this- so many football coaches can't do basic math that it makes me question their competence, so even though I'm an enthusiastic Mullen supporter, I also wonder why we don't seem to be going after this QB.

3 coaches who can't do basic math...
    • Mac. While I loved the ending of the 17 UT game, the fact is that we lucked our way out of that. He obviously could not get us to manage a game winning drive and burned off most of the clock standing around. One of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed.
    • Zook. End of the half vs UT 03. End of the game vs UT in 04. He didn't know the rule on the clock re-starting, or the math on burning up the clock to ensure UT didn't have any time left.
    • Dan Quinn, Falcons. The amount of effort to win a Super Bowl is incredible. These coaches work 90-100 hours week, the scouts do all the draft stuff, all the off season OTAs, etc etc. All to win a Super Bowl. But when the Falcons had a 95+% chance of winning, Quinn pissed it away by running the stupidest plays of all time which took them out of FG range. It is basic math- get up by 2 scores and run clock.

And while this is not math, Mac not doing all he could to keep Will Grier was also one of the most confounding things I've ever seen.

All these things, and so many more, make me wonder about the competence of football coaches. (and I'm a CPA so I look at things through a numbers prism.)

So it can be hard to trust these coaches sometimes when they can't do basic math or do all they can do to keep their amazing FR QB who could help the team so much.

Perhaps Mullen is a cut above these coaches. He probably is.

But I'm also wondering why we put forth zero effort on a guy who addresses by far our greatest need.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,561
    To the first point about game management, I think all the football knowledge in the world goes out the door as game situation comes down to how one handles stress. A lot of people get tunnel vision and can't handle the moment.

2nd point. We don't know what transpires behind closed doors but I'd trust Mullen is fully aware of the burrow situation especially given his connection with Meyer. Again, either he didn't want us or we evaluated the situation and didn't want him
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,650
    With respect:

If you are a numbers guy, why are you focused on the mistakes and not what got them there? The entire picture?

It's like ROOKIE Marcus Williams DB for the Saints. He is known for whiffing on a tackle that cost them the Play-off game against the Vikings BUT people forget the interception he had made to get them there.

Your comments on MAC were spot on. He did not know Math (could not keep the team [numbers] staffed), He did not know communications (Was arrogant with Media and Fans) did not know Physiology (Thought S&C was from eating PPJs), He did not know Special Teams wins games, and did not know Geography (This is the SEC not the Mountain West)
  16. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,548
    You had me up to Grier.....should have kept that out of your argument. You don't let players and their daddies dictate the terms. Periiod.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. Distant Gator

Ratings Received:
    +3,021
    First- you notice I didn't mention any players. Things like the Vikings miracle over the Saints can happen in the heat of the moment. If you break down the whole situation, it wasn't that much of an error. Nor was Pete Carroll's decision to pass in the Super Bowl loss to NE. Notice I didn't bring that one up.

Non-thinking fans see a play go wrong and they blame the coach for the bad outcome.
    The thinking fan sees the game as a series of probabilities and outcomes, and when something against all odds happen (like the play you are talking about) they understand that this kind of stuff is part of the game.

I certainly do focus on the entire picture. Obviously Quinn, Mac, Muschamp (who obviously didn't understand how many OL a team needs), and Zook all had to do many great things to get their teams in that position to where I'm even talking about it.

Quinn for one is probably one of the most intelligent defensive coaches around. He's done amazing things.
    And while we dump on Mac- he won many games. Many more than I could have ever done.
    That they know more about football than I do is not a question.

But still- it's amazing to me that they cannot seem to do simple math regarding play clocks, probability, etc.
    You would think they could hire someone just to advise them on the math- since so much is riding on it.

In conclusion what I'm saying is that I DO trust Mullen, and think he's really bright.
    I love it when our coach is the most intelligent one on the field, and Mullen has that potential. (Muschamp and Mac- not so much.)

But having said that- knowing coaches miss obvious things, and knowing how close we have been IF ONLY we had a decent QB, - it's just hard not to wonder.
  18. Distant Gator

Ratings Received:
    +3,021
    Thanks, when it first came out I believed Mac's version of events too. That Grier and his daddy made this outrageous demand and walked away when it was not met.

But now I know 2 things
    1) Mac is an arrogant SOB who lies.
    2) Grier completely disputes Mac's account. He just says he was looking for re-assurance and Mac basically told him to leave. (I think this is right.)

That I don't believe Mac's version any longer.

I think Grier would have stayed if Mac had tried at all.

And because Mac thought he could win with Clarabell, and that Grier had embarrassed the program and caused Mac headaches, I think Mac basically told him to leave and then lied about it.

That version fits what I know about the parties involved more than Grier made this demand and left when the coach didn't agree.

But I could be wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,548
    I think we are both speculating. You don't trust Mac so don't believe his version. I don't trust Grier and daddy Grier, because they are both proven to be self-serving individuals. The truth may be somewhere in between.
    Still, if Grier was looking for nothing more than assurance that he could compete for his job back, he would have stayed. He didn't.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,650
    Distant:

I must agree on Mac. He had me fooled. I thought he was just an "Ah shucks" Westerner who just communicated that way. Turns out, very few people liked him. That's a RED FLAG in my book.

I thought Muschamp was in over his head at UF (at first) BUT he knew Defense and was liked by many who knew him. If he going to make it as a HC, a smaller program like S.Car is a good fit.

Zook was another one who should have stayed a DC. Some are just not cut out for HC.

Now when it comes to poor Clock Management I have to give it to the "Mad Hatter" Coach Les Miles. That said, how many times did he beat us with "Totally Unexpected Plays"? If he really wants to coach, I do not understand why he does not go to a smaller school and ride it out.