OGT: UF Gators at Ole Miss, 1pm (EST) Saturday 01/13 CBS & Gator Radio

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, Jan 13, 2018.

1. BLING

BLING GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +5,355
    Good effort, but we weren't sharp at all. Sometimes that happens on the road, would have been nice to pull it off despite all that was working against us.

Now the next few home games are doubly important with our record where it's at. You can afford to drop a random game on the road, just don't do it at home. Obviously the Arkansas game is 100% must win. Realistically, every home game the rest of the way is "must win", unless this team are going to steal a win at Rupp or win at least 4 of the other 5 road games. But if our road record the rest of the way is more like 2-4 or 3-3, we better run the table at home or we might have to sweat selection Sunday. Certainly if we want to keep hoping for an advantageous seed every win is important.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. number1

number1 Senior

Ratings Received:
    +2,062
    Yeap I think going 5-4 or 4-5 on the road and defending our homecourt by going 9-0 is doable for this team.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +853
    I wish UM was on the schedule for a return game in Gville with Egbunu back. He could have handled those elbows to the chest for what should have been offensive charges. Once the refs started letting those calls go John could have returned the favor and finished with dunks of his own.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    Even without John back I think we would beat them handily at home.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +853
    I gotta hope we get them in the SEC tourney and we are healthy. Plus that game would need different officials. Does a school have any control or at least a request of the SEC office as to which officials they get at some point? I'm sure the answer is no but if we do see them again the SEC has to show concern for the league overall.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +853
    Clearly I was wrong. I don't mind admitting it. Unfortunately these refs will never do the same. Doug Shows is on my naughty list.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +617
    Who knows if Egbunu will be back. He is still struggling with swelling and is not practicing live. Stokes is much closer to playing then big John is, and behind them we see what happens when shots are not falling for Florida from the perimeter. Mike White is doing the best he can with the cards he has been dealt currently. Add to that the fact that Ballard had the flu and did not play and well it was what it was. On to Arkansas!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    Oh well, thought we would win 2 of the first three road games and that we have done. Need to come out hard against arky who is off to a slow start. Hopefully, Ballard is back and Gak is OK.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    He has been on mine and several other Gator fan's list for a long time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matherly87

Ratings Received:
    +853
    I missed it as well. Sometimes you just wish you could take it all back.
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,642
    A big key to winning seems to be keeping Hayes out of early foul trouble, which happened today. Played only 15 min.

Hudson only played 19 min.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +1,906
    Hayes only played 15 minutes and had one rebound and one block. Ole Miss was a driving to the basket with ease and we had no answer with Hayes sitting on the bench for 25 minutes

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400987308
  13. 33hoop

33hoop GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +907
    On a positive note, Stone is playing a lot better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. CASontag

CASontag GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +901
    No worries :) Not criticizing your post, just wanted to show my frustration as I was hoping the same thing you were :) But unfortunately it never materialized :(
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,809
    Florida lost this game because the guards of Ole Miss kept getting to the free throw line more often than Florida's guards: 15/18 (Miss) vs 3/4 (UF).
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400987308

Chiozza, Allen & Koulechov had zero free throw attempts against Ole Miss. Meanwhile four different Ole Miss guards made some trips to the free throw line. Keith Stone was the hero for Florida in this game but some of his misses late in the game made it impossible for a Florida win.

Either Florida's guards did not drive it inside often enough to draw the fouls or the refs did not call them enough for the Gators. On several occasions, it seemed like the Ole Miss guards fouled offensively & initiated contact to draw their fouls. That changed the complexion of this game since the end of the first half.

There is a thread here about the officiating but there were a couple of calls against Hudson that made you think that these refs were being incompetent: Hudson's called step out of bound and the unprecedented reversal of a charge & Hudson not fouling out. I do not think that I've ever seen that before.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +15,340
    turn overs were pretty even but we shot poorly, had sloppy play down low and rebounded even worse, you might get away with that at home but not on the road.
  17. harnettgator

harnettgator Premium Member VIP Member

From Gainesville; Exiled to Harnett County, NC
    Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Great post all around, RD, and I agree with everything you said above. I just wanted to add that Stone looked completely gassed with 7min to go if not earlier. But at that point, with all the foul trouble and injuries the lineup options were so limited that he really had to stay in (I don't remember if he got any breathers). Think fatigue may have been responsible for some of those late missed shots.

Not an excuse. It was an ugly loss on the road, and I'm certain it hurt CMW as much or more than it bothered those of us watching at home. But there were a number of contributing factors.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. UFGATOR

UFGATOR GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +57
    This is a good team and I have faith in them. They are short handed and doing the best they can. I enjoyed watching the game. Had they been allowed the play the same both ways the entire game we may have a different outcome. Can’t help the ref issue as much as we’d all like too. Also, hats off to Stone. He keeps progressing. I like to see that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +13,394
    If this team can get healthy you might be right. If we can't get Egbunu and Stokes back to help out soon we are going to be in serious trouble.

Injuries hurt us against Ole Miss, as well as that hated "inconsistency" bug that tends to rear it's ugly head more times than not, but I will also agree with some other posters that the officials were absolutely one-sided a lot of times. I'm not saying they lost the game for us, but they were truly pathetic. The NCAA needs to address officiating in basketball as much as it does in football.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1