OGT: UF Gators at Ole Miss, 1pm (EST) Saturday 01/13 CBS & Gator Radio

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, Jan 13, 2018.

1. harnettgator

harnettgator Premium Member VIP Member

From Gainesville; Exiled to Harnett County, NC
    Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Game Deets
    When: Saturday 1p.m.EST *Game time approximate
    Where: The Pavillion at Oxford (MS); Capacity: 9,500; Opened January 7, 2016

[​IMG]
    Records: 2017-2018 Florida Gators (12-4, 4-0 in the SEC);
    2017-2018 Ole Miss Landsharks (9-7 overall, 2-2 in the SEC)
    TV: CBS and CBS Sports App Steaming
    CBS TV Play-by-Play & Analyst: Kevin Harlan & Bill Raftery
    Radio: Gator IMG Sports Network (Mick Hubert and Bill Koss).

Check Your Local Listings or Gator Zone Affiliates List for Radio Stations in Your Area
    UF Head Coach: Mike White; 40 years old; 3rd Year at UF; 163-68 overall
    Ole Miss Head Coach: Andy Kennedy; 49 years old; 12th year at OM; 264-160 overall
    UF’s Leading Scorer: Jalen Hudson; 16.6 PPG
    Ole Miss’ Leading Scorer: Deandre Burnett; 14.4 PPG

Following their dominating mid-week victory over new UF AD Scott Stricklin’s alma mater (that’s Mississippi State for anyone not in the know) in the Exactech Arena, the UF MBK team (12-4 overall, 4-0 in the SEC) is on the road again this weekend. This time, they’ll face that other SEC school from Mississippi – the recently remonikered Ole Miss Landsharks, also known as head coach Mike White’s alma mater.

Under CMW, the Gators are 3-0 overall vs. the Landsharks (9-7 overall, 2-2 in the SEC) and 1-0 when playing at the Pavilion at Ole Miss which opened in January of 2016.
    [​IMG]
    A win Saturday afternoon would give the Gators their 2nd consecutive 5-0 SEC schedule start under Mike White, making him only the second Gator coach to accomplish that fete more than once joining Hall of Famer Billy Donovan (that fun fact added for you @33hoop :p).

Thanks as always to @GatorLurker who, in his Game #17 Pick ‘Em Thread said: “On Saturday the 4-0 in SEC play Gators take on the 2-2 Ole Miss Rebels and their Landsharks at The Pavilion. No more Colonel, Black Bear, or Tad Pad. I can't say that I miss any of them….Ole Miss is pretty good at taking care of the ball so this time the SOG will be turnover margin." Read more and enter Lurker’s Game #17 Pick ’Em contest here.

Useless Trivia re Opposing Team's Coach: Landsharks’ Coach Andy Kennedy is now the “Dean of SEC Coaches” having led the Ole Miss MBK team since 2006. Kennedy started his playing career at NC State before transferring to UAB to complete his collegiate career.

Not So Useless Trivia: More Mike White :D
    Here's CMW Then....
    [​IMG]
    CMW Now...Doesn't he just seem happier in O&B?
    [​IMG]

KaVaughn Allen – A Riddle Wrapped in a Quiet Enigma

“What’s wrong with KeVaughn Allen?”

"Concerned about Allen"

It’s Time for KeVaughn to Break Out…”

The Gators’ Junior 2-guard has been the subject of much discussion around here lately. Entire threads have been dedicated to the concern and consternation regarding Allen’s performance thus far in the 2017-2018 season.

It’s easy to understand Gator fans’ frustration. Allen arrived in Gainesville with much fanfare. A 4* prep prospect with a ton of hype, KA had been the Arkansas Gatorade Boys Basketball Player of the Year as both junior and senior and was listed as the #67 overall prospect according to Rivals.com. He averaged 25.2 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 4.7 APG and 3.1 steals per game as a senior. Thus, when Mike White successfully convinced KeVaughn to keep his Gator LOI commitment after Billy Donovan left UF to coach the OKC Thunder, it was considered quite the recruiting coup.

Then in his first 2 seasons, KA seemed poised to fulfill all that promise and follow in the footsteps of former Great Gator Gunners. Consider these numbers and early Allen achievements:
    • He totaled the 4th-most points by a Gator freshman over the past 20 years (trailing only Nick Calathes, Kenny Boynton, & Bradley Beal – impressive company indeed!
    • KA was the 1st Gator since Kenny Boynton (and only the 9th in school history) to score >900 points through his first 2 seasons.
    • KeVaughn became only the 3rd Gator (Matt Walsh, Eddie Shannon) to score 25+ points on ≤7 FG attempts in a single game.
    [​IMG]
    Allen had some terrifically memorable performances last year! He scored 16 of his 23 points vs. Tennessee in the second half, including a perfect 4-for-4 from 3-point range.
    He scored 21 or more points in 3 games, including v. Duke in Madison Square Garden, and in the SEC-opening win at Arkansas. And of course, we all remember KeVaughn’s exceptional Sweet 16 performance v. Wisconsin (also at MSG) when he exploded for a career-high 35 points!

So What’s Wrong with KeVaughn This Year?
    Theories abound. Among the suggested reasons:

Maybe KeVaughn is having trouble adjusting to his new role as part-time point guard…

Maybe he’s not living in the moment as Billy Donovan famously exhorted the Back-to-Back NC team to do before they took the court to face UCLA to win UF’s first ever MBK National Title. Perhaps KA has forgotten the Golden Rule for Shooter – have a short memory and no conscience for missed shots.

Maybe KeVaughn is struggling to find his role in this Gators’ current lineup and the addition of several new perimeter threats. Maybe it’s none of the above or some combination of the above. Mike White provided the following clues during his Thursday (01/11/2018) presser as published by FightinGators.com.

Regarding the team’s offensive slump earlier this season, CMW said: “I think most of the outcome of having this many (scoring) options is positive, but you'll also have some negative too…Some of it was this, some of it was that, but some of it was learning how to mix with one another. What's going on in your conscience as I'm taking a shot now that I'm playing with two or three other very good offensive players?”

White had this to say re Allen in particular: “I think he’s very conscientious. KeVaughn is a kid. He’s really unselfish. I’ve seen it since the first day I coached him. He’s a good teammate, and when he misses a shot he feels bad for his team that he missed a shot as much as any really talented player that I’ve coached. It’s hard to get him out of that, to get him to be a conscious-free, aggressive, attacking guy. I think sometimes you can overthink it, rather than make it simple and when you’re open shoot it. That’s how we’ve all got to be… He’s going to continue to be a focal point. Teams have to prepare for him. He's overly unselfish right now. But he's really taking care of the basketball, he's making good decisions, he's a much better decision-maker, play-maker than he was a year ago. So he's progressing in those areas. And he's still progressing defensively."

“Overly unselfish” seems a strange descriptor for a 2-guard but it also seems 100% appropriate for KeVaughn Allen. He’s never been a me-first guy based on his on-court demeanor. He’s also never had problems off the court (to my knowledge, correct me). While CMW and staff need KA to play more aggressively, his unselfish nature may be contributing to the incredible chemistry we saw on display in the post-Mizzou locker room celebration and could, with a few tweaks and corrections, take this team a long way in March.

Fingers crossed KA lets goes of that conscience a bit…and I still say he needs to bring back the headband!
    [​IMG]

Did You Know?
    KeVaughn Allen attended North Little Rock (AK) High School and was a starter on 3 straight 7A State Championship winning teams at the school. KA was named the MVP of the 2013 Arkansas 7A State Championship Game as a sophomore.

While KeVaughn has struggled shooting from the floor this season, his FT percentage has been terrific. KA is one of the Gators’ 3 starters among the SEC’s top 4 free throw shooters (by percentage). KeVaughn’s 89.8% FT shooting ranks 3rd in the SEC behind only the Gators’ Koulechov’s 93.9% leads the conference, and Mizzou’s Jordan Barnett (with 92.3%). Chris Chiozza ranks 4th in the SEC with a FT shooting average of 88.7%.

BTW, KeVaughn’s FT shooting has improved each season. He averaged 84.6% as a freshman then shot 88.3% from the charity stripe as a Sophomore. Source.

- Read More -
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    Thanks, @harnettgator , another great write up.

I for one have not given up on KA and think he can break out of his slump any game now. Today would be a great time to start because we could use his shooting prowess as the season progresses.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +17,149
    Great write up harnett you are killing it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Allanon

Allanon VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,030
    Anybody else going to the game?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gene

gene All American

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Harnett, really enjoy your write ups. Love the way you express your thoughts. Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS Senior

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Doug Shows, yay.
  8. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS Senior

Ratings Received:
    +626
    333333.. and we’re off.
  9. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    7-5 Gators
  10. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Hi everyone!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    Hayes with a PF....Gak in
  12. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Along with Gak...
  13. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Pavilion is beautiful IRL. Seems empty.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Egor getting good boards.
  15. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Nice drive Jalen
  16. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +18,201
    9-8 Gators at the first break
  17. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,774
    We're getting exactly what we want on offense, just knock them down.
    Defensively I think we're playing pretty good so far minus that miscommunication by Egor and Hayes. Egor should've stayed on his man in that situation.
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,373
    Tough day for me. My lady is an Ole Miss grad.

So do I cheer on the Gators and sleep on the couch tonight
    or
    Cheer on the Gators and sleep on the couch tonight:D:D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. harnettgator

Ratings Received:
    +4,682
    Holy cow! Keith Jackson died?