Official NBA Finals Thread: SanAntonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Jun 5, 2014.

1. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    Today, NBA players are shooting a much higher percentage than Jordan, at a longer three point distance, with taller perimeter players with a hand in their face. Basketball is clearly played at a higher level now than it was 20 years ago and will be better 20 years from now than it is presently.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    My point being is that Miami didn't EARN that extra possession, the Spurs bumbled it to them. It actually SHOULD have been a simple routine rebound, but I guess in the heat of the moment, all three of them just wanted to grab the ball.
  3. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +582
    I still don't get why you keep bringing up Jordan's 3 point shooting. Did you even watch him play? He was never a 3 point shooter.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    So Bosh had magnets in his hands? The ball just ended up in his hands? He did what 3 Spurs failed to do yet deserves no credit, I see.

Let's say we agree on that for arguments sake. That still doesn't explain Ray Allen making the 3 when the Spurs couldn't even make free throws. If the better team is missing gimmes like that there should be no way Miami could make a 3 in that scenario. Your theory also fails to explain why San Antonio couldn't come back in OT or game 7.
  5. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Again, my point is, if any of the 3 SA players communicated with each other, and came down with the rebound, instead of fighting each other for it, the series ends at 6. Miami didn't do anything to cause SA to fight each other for the ball. I also believe Kawhi Leonard missed two straight FTs the possession before that.

Credit to Miami for winning in the end, but they WERE very fortunate (lucky) to get that chance.
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    And my point is they didn't. If Miami doesn't showboat and piss off the Mavs in 2011 game 2 that game cold have ended in a blowout. Up 2-0 that series could have turned out very different.

If the A/C works in game 1 and Lebron doesn't cramp Miami could have been up 2-0 on SA with 2 games to play in Miami. Maybe that rattles the Spurs and they don't shoot 91% in game 3.

Look what I did, I "ifs, buts, and could'ves" Miami into a 4 peat. This game is fun.

Now just a disclaimer, I don't believe anything I just typed, I believe in actually giving credit to the teams that won.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    Sports history is filled with woulda, coulda, shoulda's and good fortune. It doesn't change the end result. What's your point? If Donyell Marshall doesn't miss some FT's, we don't go to the Final 4 in 94. Should we take down the banner? If not for Texas shocking Nebraska and OSU upsetting ASU, we don't win the NC in 96. If not for that ridiculous tuck rule the Pats don't win their first Super Bowl in 2001. If not for Bartman and the Cubs choking, the Marlins don't win the WS in 2003. You could probably put an asterisk by all of these accomplishments, but you'd have to do it for 1,000 more....easily.

Unless a game or championship is decided by grossly incompetent and/or crooked officiating (1972 US/USSR gold medal game, Swindle in the Swamp, OSU/Miami 2002, etc.), the "yeah...but's" in an effort to discredit great accomplishments (such as back-to-back NBA titles) comes off as small and petty. With the exception, of course, being "Yeah...but your QB is a rapist, deviant sociopath."
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Okay, you're clearly missing my point. Perhaps it's my fault for not articulating it well. I'm not saying the Spurs were a better team in 2013. People who are pro Miami have issues with other people saying they were lucky Miami won last year. My point is, if SA made simple FTs down the stretch, and did something as simple as rebound a ball where no Miami players were there to cause conflict, Miami loses that game by about 6 points or more. Theses are things that happened in succession, that Miami had to have to win. Things Miami did NOTHING to cause. SA choked. Unforced errors (yes, I'm aware that's "part of the game"). If SA executes just one of these fundamental plays, they win the series in 6. THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF LUCK. That is my point, that is all.

I can't see how anyone can argue that they weren't lucky. Sometimes you need luck to win championships, and there's nothing wrong with that. As everyone here is well aware, Florida was pretty fortunate to win a lot of their championships. Granted most of their luck came mostly during the season, as they won all their championship games by comfortable margins. :)
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  9. Swamp_of_Gators

Ratings Received:
    +747
    I'm not saying take down banners for a run of fortune, I'm not saying put asterisks next to scores.

I'm asking, how can you say that the 2013 Miami team was NOT fortunate that the Spurs choked in the closing moments of game 6, a game that would have wrapped up the series for them?

I'm simply discussing a moment, in a specific sport, in a specific league. I'm not asking to re-write the sports history books.
  10. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Fortunate and "not earned" are not interchangeable terms. They don't imply the same thing at all. You can be fortunate but still earn what you accomplished.

No game is truly decided by a buzzer beater. A game is 48 minutes long and the events of the entire game influence the outcome. The missed free throws and missed rebound mean a lot less if Allen misses that 3. Even with all the fortunate bounces that went the Heats way at the end of game 6, they still had to make that shot or they're all for nothing.

We weren't arguing fortune until your last post. Were they fortunate, absolutely, but they also made the plays they needed to make, like securing a rebound three Spurs couldn't, and making a huge shot when the Spurs couldn't, to earn a championship.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,332
    I've never seen an unlucky Champion...;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. odessagatorguy

odessagatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    LeBron is physically superior to MJ. MJ had the ability to exert his will on the outcome of entire games and series.

I don't see that from LeBron even with a stacked team. You folks shouldn't take it personally. MJ is better. So what.

PS When I said overrated I mean in the conversation of all-time greats. He came to a stacked team and is 2-2 in the Finals and quite possibly should be 1-3. That's overrated to me. Feel free to hit your disagree button with anger.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Did you come from GSMB? You seem like you're from GSMB
  14. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,802
    He's bigger and stronger. Not better.

Jordan was 2" shorter and 0.4 lbs/inch lighter (3.15 v 2.75). That's 15% heavier on two guys with equally low BF. Lebron's a beast.
  15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Just wanted to point out that although I hit the disagree button, it wasn't with anger...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. diamondted13

diamondted13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +303
    MJ in his early 90's prime is not willing this current Heat team to anything. Nor does he will that 2007 Cavs team past SA in the Finals (if they even make it that far). Just look at that roster. 2011 is another story. LeBron will always have that vanishing act as a stain on his resume, especially when compared to MJ. To his credit, however, he came back from that humiliation and has played basketball over the past 3 seasons at as high a level as you will EVER see. There is nothing he could have done to overcome SA in this series. Maybe they win game 1 if he doesn't cramp up, but they had no shot to win this series. With Wade's rotting corpse, Chalmers' no-show, Bosh's passive play, aging vets no longer able to contribute, and facing the best organization in B-Ball over the past 15 years on a redemption mission to take what painfully slipped through their fingers last year....all the "will" in MJ, Bird, Russell, and Magic's cumulative souls could not have stopped this avalanche.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. odessagatorguy

odessagatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    No, mother's womb. You?
  18. odessagatorguy

odessagatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Thanks. I laughed...I need it today so thanks!
  19. odessagatorguy

odessagatorguy Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Also, I'd like to point out that Lebron did that ridiculous "the Decision" followed by saying they'd win 8 titles, was it?

Any criticism he brought on himself.
    • Boring Boring x 2
  20. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +709
    Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Good points, thanks for bringing those up. I hate Lebron now too!