OFFICIAL: George Zimmerman Trial Thread Week 2

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DaveFla, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    Let me add that Dan Abrams who spoke in that video is an attorney and closer than any of us to the trial. His comments go along the same lines with what some of the other "knowledgeable" posters in this thread are saying.
  2. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,133

Then I'll discontinue it, but I just had to speak my mind on this. This country has devolved into something that is no longer about fairness or equality or self-responsibility... it's no about the self-serving, easy path that serves the individual more than the community.

This country and it's morals are spiraling down a drain, all in the name of "liberalism".
  4. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I agree with what you are saying. There should not be a conviction based on what the State had. No way even close. That said I was really surprised when I first heard that it was an all woman jury. I thought then that I would not want to be tried in front of an all female jury in a case like that. I hope the jury upholds their part of the deal and makes the decision based on evidence at the trial and nothing else.
  5. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    ^^^yep. Jury selection is key. Just look at these threads--who's mind has changed? Seems those going in with an inclinaiton of GZ's guilt have been determined, nay, hell bent, on maintaing to such--and from the other side, those who came in with an inclination of not-guilty, seem to have been confirmed in their beliefs, and have hunkered down even further.

Setting aside teh evidence, the point is that ppl. tend to stay true to their natural inclinations.

If you can profile a prospective jury, and land your target jury, seems all you really have to do after that, is hold your own. Just don't get obliterated; give them enough to hang their hats on (to their naturual inclinations), and vioila!

Problem is, jury consulting firms are cost prohibitive--unless you got OJ, or MJ money, your stuck with your lawyer's (and your own), natural suppositions, and perhaps other ltd. resources, at arriving at such profiles. (I do have some ltd. resources I use, but hardly a substitute for a jury consulting firm...--and this btw, is why I kept on pestering chomp for an explanation as to his natural inclination to find GZ guilty--thought it might be helpful, for me, in the future--to help me understand what makes someone so...naturally inclined in a particular direction--wasn't trying to 'badger' him, or stalk him, or what have you....).

And again, look at the OJ and Casey Ant'ny trials, as to high profile examples, where the Defense dropped a pretty penny on jury consulting firms, and ...imo, got their $$$'s worth, and then some (besides this thread).

I don't know what kind of guidance Omara used for J/S; but...all women? That doesn't realy sound like the ideal jury profile, to me.

Put it this way--the greatest attorney(s) on teh planet, putting on the best case conceivable, presented to the wrong jury, has imo, quite frankly, a tougher row to how, than a lesser to mediocre attorney, presenting a weak case...to the right jury.

Of course those are 2 extremes--most cases fall in between....

...but if it's ever your nuts in the frying pan...I strongly suggest to anyone reading this--try your damndest to budget for a jury consulting firm. Factor that in, when you're choosing your attorney.

e.g.--If your desired attorney quotes you $10,000.00 retainer fee--before you go running to rich uncle 'Snob', or the bank for a 3rd mortgage...ask how much extra he'll need, to affiliate a reputable JCF. Then try to gather both, ASAP.

JMHO.
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Depends on the women. Speaking with my wife and several others in my office, most of them seem to feel that what GZ did was nothing but self protection. I am not as concerned about the sexual make up of the jury as I may have been early on.
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +993

Slightly off topic, but what would you think about moving to a system of professional jurors. I was saying to a friend the other day that "if this comes down as a conviction, especially 2nd Degree, given the evidence presented, perhaps it's something we should consider." Especially when one considers the OJ, Anthony, etc. verdicts as well.

Plus, who would really have a problem with it? I figure most people would gladly choose a system that doesn't require them to serve on a jury (I've never heard anyone who was "happy" about jury duty).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.