Official: Florida vs Richmond, Saturday, Jan 4th, 3:00PM, CSS/Cox Sports

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 4, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Look at who took the shots. Young had six, and he is a 50% shooter. Prather was uncharacteristically bad. DFS went 0-2 in the in the final minute after barely taking a shot in the entire game. Those two combined for 5-13. The other guys were 5-6.
  2. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    We are going to have to learn to get Hill and Frazier the ball for FTs late.
  3. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,630

I didn't have your view, apparently, and didn't see the first half.

I agree about the odd officiating.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Reading these posts, you would think other teams don't have any weaknesses. Everyone has been ranting about Wilbekin's struggles at the lane, but he hits both late in the game and no one mentions it.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    We did and Frazier missed one. Wilbekin, on the other hand, hit both of his.
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    Playing just once a week is a double edged sword. We needed the time to get everyone healthy and introduce Walker and Murphy to our style of play, but at the same time, we can't get game sharp, playing so infrequently.
  7. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,186
    I think most of us knew coming into the game Richmond was more than capable of giving us a tough game. They did and we still shook it off to win the game. Had our outside shots fell a little better earlier it wouldn't have been that close.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,812
    Exactly. In past years, we have lost games when we shoot terribly, don't get the calls we are accustomed to, and have the opponent hit some circus shots. But we not only won, we doubled their rebounding totals (44-22) and went on a 19-4 run over the span of seven minutes to put the game just out of reach.
  9. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    Gators win! Got payback for 2009.

That said, they need to work on their free throw shooting. 52.6% is not going to get it done in the Tourney.

GO GATORS!!!!!
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    Just back from the game.

We totally sucked shooting 3's in the first half. Lots of good looks from good shooters, but couldn't seem to buy one. Richmond, on the other hand, was shooting 3's very well. Much better 3 point shooting later for the Gator Boys.

Weird whistle today. The Spiders were getting called at a one foul per 45 second clip at the start until they amassed 4 and then they didn't foul for something like 14 minutes. PY was held all game. I am pretty sure one of MF II's 3 pointers had a toe on the line with no review. Not a good day for the zebras.

FT's are a concern. Richmond showed great clock management at the end and also hit some circus shot 3's to make it interesting.

Richmond is a very solid squad. They are undersized, but well coached and have guards that can fill it up.
  11. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I finished putting new carpet down while watching the Fresno State game. The beauty of DVR, can go back and catch what you missed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I have no problem with how we played down the stretch. The last 5 minutes is usually when you win or lose games and Richmond is a solid mid major team.

I didn't expect a blowout today.

I listened to Billy's post game interview. He has plenty of things for them to work on.
  14. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    This is the type of game we've lost in years past--so us being able to overcome some things working against us (shots not going down, a determined opponent having insane luck at times, and questionable officiating) is good news IMO.

You're going to face scrappy teams in the tournament and need to dig deep to gut out wins. This had that type of feel to it and I'm happy to see that the team rallied and pulled it out late. We went on an 11-0 run with 7 minutes left in the game to effectively seal it. That's impressive considering it'd been a back and forth game up until that point.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Been away for a week and missed the game last night. Saw the score updates though. Needless to say when i saw Richmond up 4 in the 2nd half I started seeing red. A win is a win, but what happened?
  16. LetItFly

LetItFly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    Richmond played circus shots from 3 and made a bunch of them. Gators were slow and lethargic and missed 10 3s in first half. Came along in second half. Picked up the intensity at the end.
  17. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Richmond is a solid program, and I expected a highly competitive game down to the last minute under any circumstances. Looked like excellent effort put forth on defense by UF but either due to lackadaisicalness, a flaw in the game planning or underestimating the opponent, not nearly the same effort given to offensive movement.
  18. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Ah...one of THOSE. You tell me this a year or two ago and I say we lose
  19. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    We really didn't run our offense in the first half. I think the assist to turnover ratio tells the story. Some of our entry passes to the low post were awful and I attribute that to being lackadasical. Scottie, Kasey and DFS need to become more consistent and improve their decision making. I expect that will happen.

Defensively, we were solid throughout. We had a couple of breakdowns, but they were few and far between. The effort was there, so I don't believe we underestimated Richmond at all.

I'm happy that we were challenged. With three out of our next four against some of the worst teams on our schedule (SC, UGA & Auburn), we needed it
  20. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    We did lose to those guys a few years ago, and until yesterday had a losing record against them.