Official: Florida vs Miss State, Thursday, Jan 30th, 7:00PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,862
    I think that court is running neck and neck with Boise State's blue rug. Distinctive but not very appealing. The paint thinner idea above is a good one but if you look closer it looks more like a dark floor that someone threw a BIG can of light tan paint right smack dab in the middle of the court. Splatter marks and everything.
  2. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Kasey Hill looked good tonight. 7 points, 3 assists, 3 reb and zero TO's. Nice.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    I really don't get the criticisms. It is almost as if when we hit our jumpers, everyone thinks we are a much better team in other phases. If Frazier and Wilbekin hit a few more shots (4-13 from the arc, 5-18 overall) and Prather doesn't have the worst game of his season from the stripe (2-7), this game could quickly have turned into a blowout. We defended well as usual and MSU had to rely on some circus shots at times. We probably had one of our passing games of the season (14 assists against nine turnovers), we controlled the glass again (+9), and we did a good job defensively on the whole (allowed 42% from the field, 28% from the arc, and forced 12 turnovers against seven assists).

Was it our best game? No. But we went on the road after a fairly emotional week given all the drama over Walker against a middling league team and pulled away in the second half despite our two best perimeter scorers going cold and our best post play missing the majority of the first half with foul trouble (and then dominating the second half). Given that our last three league road games have all been touch and go affairs late in the contest, I think this was a pretty successful outcome all things considered.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    It won't disappear, but it will surely be mitigated somewhat. Still don't know what to expect from Walker at this stage.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    Funny that we would struggle against better SEC teams despite beating teams you would consider better than SEC teams (FSU, Kansas, Memphis) and nearly beating two pretty good groups (Wisconsin, UConn) with emaciated rosters.
  6. nihilan_the_gator

nihilan_the_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    What did we do differently from other teams to keep MSU off of the charity stripe?
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    It's like no one appreciates the mid-week conference road win anymore, and by double digits......they aren't easy no matter who your opponent is.

and miss st isn't all that bad. Plus, like you said this game could've easily had been a blowout.
  8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Just win, baby
  9. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    I will never complain about a double digit win on the road. Ever.
  10. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    What's interesting is that I watched the Gonzaga/BYU game on Saturday and they had two girl announcers and I was actually surprised at how good of a job they did. They didn't BS around. They understood the game and told it how it was. I liked it believe it or not. This is coming from the same guy who thinks that women shouldn't ref men's sports period.
  11. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    I think women can be great announcers, but there is women.... and there's Doris Burke lol
  12. cavemen77

cavemen77 Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Touchee :).
  13. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    Great teams can win ugly. Sometimes I think its hard to get up for some teams and on face value msu isn't very good. I think our guys just played but without the energy or gumption they did vs UT. Still, when challenged the team met the challenge. I like it that this team can be effective either from the outside or attacking the basket. Used to be we had mainly jump shooters and when it went bad for one it seemed to go bad for all. Now, we can take it to the basket and score effectively.
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +971
    Road winning percentage for SEC teams: 0.278

Home winning percentage for SEC teams: 0.799

We have literally 1/4 of all road wins in the SEC this year. Holding serve at home and collecting road wins are how we win this conference. 4 down, 5 more to go.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,811
    Congratulations to Coach Billy Donovan and the Gators in getting another road win! It wasn't easy but they got it done. Not easy being on the road so much so I'm sure they are looking forward to finally getting back home to the O'Connell Center for some games in front of the Gator crowd!
  16. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    I've definitely learned to appreciate a road win in conference play, however they look.

When you're the #3 team in the country and one of the conference's unquestioned elite programs over the last decade, you're going to get everyone's A-game. More than a few Gator teams (including our championship teams) have fallen victim on the road to an opponent that's revved-up, gets a boost from the crowd, and a boost from home-cookin' officials too.

At the end of the day, there's a lot to be happy about this one, no matter how it looked. Donovan has our guys focused and we can turn it up when we need to.

Young and Prather carried us tonight--but picked up good minutes from DFS and Wilbekin too. Have to mention Kurtz as well...even though he had 2 or so minutes on the court today; he still had as much production in that time (1 point, 2 rebounds) than nearly three MSU players, including one starter (who all went scoreless and maybe had 2 rebounds and 3 assists as a group). Yes, I'm aware I single him out probably more than I should--but you have to like a walk-on who finds ways to be productive when our team needs him.
  17. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,178
    Been saying this, every road game is dangerous when you're the number 3 team because there is a target on your back. Wait until we play at the Rupp, it will be crazy load. That said, our seniors will keep it glued together.
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    I think that one can appreciate a road win and suggest that the team didn't play very well at the same time.

I recall a great quote by Donovan last year about the team's performance, (paraphrase) "Just because you are up by 30 doesn't mean that it is ok to have bad possessions"
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    Good catch. I thought that was the statistic of the game. Over the last few years, our ability to defend without fouling has become a real hallmark of Donovan teams. I worried that might go south with the new rules, but it has seemingly become an even bigger advantage. One main thing is that we seldom try to block shots. We just contest shots. Huge difference. We don't leave our feet, bite on pump fakes, etc., but keep our hands up and move our feet laterally. Plus, if your bigs can help on the ball and keep the guards out of the lane, then you force them to take lots of mid range jumpers with a hand in the face.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,115
    Of course, especially later in the game when we had some dog possessions. But sometimes I wonder if the ball not going in the hoop is overly equated with not playing well. Frazier and Wilbekin missed a ton off wide open threes, maybe 5-6, where they were lost in defensive rotations. If you hit two of those, the game looks entirely different. The difference between a close first half game and a double digit win amounted to Frazier hitting the same (or harder) shots in the second half that he missed in the first. We almost missed a ton of bunnies in the first half, too. With Prather tweaking his ankle and Young and Frazier both in first half foul trouble, it took us awhile to get going, but when we did the game wasn't in doubt.

In general, I thin when we aren't shooting well this team is a very good top-25 group that defends and runs, but struggles offensively. When we are shooting well, it is as good as any team in the nation--maybe second behind Zona. Much of that falls on Wilbekin and Frazier. I am hopeful that as Hill gets better, we allow Wilbekin to play more and more off the ball in order to create additional shot attempts for him.