Official: Florida vs FSU, Friday, Nov 29th, 7:30PM, ESPN2

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Nov 29, 2013.

1. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    I do think Billy is still throwing in a whole bunch of lineup combinations throughout the game to see who plays best together. When we get fully healthy and Billy settles on his main lineup, figures out the proper minute distributions, and shortens his bench, we should see an improvement in chemistry and offensive flow.
  2. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    One thing is for sure, I'm glad we have one of the best coaches in the NCAA leading us. I could see this team being a mess without a strong coach
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,100
    At least we can boast one win for what will occur tomorrow most likely will be brutal.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,692

We won. You are going to have games like this. Even the pros do . The important thing is they pulled out a win in spite of things not going well.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Agree hall. However, I think he is right. We have to play a lot better than that to come out of these next 3 games with 2 wins, which is my goal
  6. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    Except we shot that last shot with enough time left on the clock to get the rebound and put back/foul.

Usually are last second shots go up with 1-2 seconds left . . . . . . in other words, without enough time to get a rebound and put back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. born2beagator

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    If that had gone to OT i think FSU wins. Just too big of a momentum swing
  8. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Very good win. Enjoyed the game thread tonight. Gator fans have been through some tough luck lately. Was nice to see one fall our way for a change!
  9. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +160
    F$U had 2 points on Billy's T. Was interesting that he got so fired up. Unusual too. BTW doesn't Billy look like he's been doing a lot of lifting? :)
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Well, odds are we will struggle with only six scholarship players in the rotation, no backup one or two, and no floor spacing half the game because of our combinations in the post. If we get Walker back, that might help reduce some minutes for Wilbekin and Frazier and give us some more flexibility in our units. I wouldn't expect Hill back until Kansas at the absolute earliest, but more likely the Memphis game. Once we have those two, then things will look quite different. But for now, our missed free throws and bad fouls were signs of fatigue from having such a short bench. And those two things alone kept FSU in the game the final four minute segment.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    We overcame a horrid start to our shooting and poor free throw shooting while being short handed at the guard spot again. I would like to have seen them play better tonight but these are the kind of close games we were not pulling out just a couple of seasons ago.
  12. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    Maybe but that white 7 footer fouled out, so I think we end up winning comfortably.
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    I was at the game and close enough to hear what Billy said. Clearly he was begging for the "T". For the first time ever that I have seen he dropped the "F-bomb You" on a ref. I have heard "Bull $h1t" a number of times over the years, but never this particular phrase.

He got what he wanted which was the players starting to pick it up knowing that coach had their backs.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    That's great! It looked like he mouthed that, but I just assumed my lip reading was wrong.
  15. HallGator

Ratings Received:
    +3,692
    I'm 99% sure he told them thank you after they gave him one.
  16. TheRealTejasGatorII

TheRealTejasGatorII Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    Ha! That was gold. Obvious he wanted it. First was the bench warning, but that wasn't enough! It was clear as day without a professional lip reader.
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    You wrang....Boris?
  18. hoopstar

hoopstar Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Agree rserina. FSU is a very good team & most likely one of the biggest, most athletic we will face this season along with KS & KY. We looked a little tired at certain points in the game & I feel this affected out FT %. Plus, Dorian missed a couple of put back dunks which he easily makes most all the time. Also missed getting a couple of lose balls, messed up several fast breaks opportunities ect...but Billy did a great job with the personnel he had to work with.
    I'm not sure Hill is back for KS, hearing Memphis. But longshot he may play a few minutes in KS game depending on the flow of the game.
    We haven't lost a home game in quite sometime, so I think this streak continues with KS coming to town soon. I think we take Memphis in Madison Square. UConn on Monday after a late Fri. nite game - tough tough game in a tough environment. So I'd settle for a 3-1 record in this tough 4 game stretch.
    But have no doubt, we just beat a very strong & talented team which will help our RPI come March. Maybe the best team in the 4 game stretch we face IMO.
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Yeah, I thought Billy was intentionally fishing for the technical. Immediately afterward, he said, "Thank you." It got the refs' attention, it got the players' attention, it got the fans' attention. And then we closed the gap and took the lead from FSU.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    For all the talk about Kansas, they have some real holes. They beat a Duke team that is the worst they've been defensively and in the post since I remember and they were manhandled by an underrated Nova team that whipped them defensively (39% from the field, 18% from the arc, 9 assists against 16 turnovers) and on the glass (+9 overall, +4 on the offensive glass). They are young and inexperienced, they don't shoot well, and they are still trying to find a rotation and learn Self's ball help defense. They are definitely beatable. They will be much harder to beat in March, especially once Wiggins gets his offensive rhythm in the half court, but on our home court we can win, especially if D. Walker is back at full health. All the more if Hill can give us any minutes off the bench.

Memphis is athletic and talented and Jackson is a tough kid at both ends. But as a team they aren't very smooth or skilled and they don't shoot worth a darn. Then there is the queue-card holding coach. I like our chances.

Napir is a beast and the quick turnaround after a tough game hurts, especially then they are coming off a six-day break. They are shooting lights out right now (45% from the arc as a team!) and they play a lot of kids.