Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

MUST READ: Official: Discuss the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the SCOTUS in this thread.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 9, 2018.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Anybody else ever get concerned about why Roe seems to be the central litmus test for nomination? This isn't the abortion court, this is the court for everything.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a very polarizing issue that motivates people to vote, raises money, and donations. It works on both political sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree for the most part, but I think trying to hound a president re: his sex life or other such matters seems like non-sense for the most part.

I'm interested to see if he is asked whether he thinks a sitting president should be indicted for (insert your crime here), impeached, etc. If he says no, how can he pass anyone's criteria for SC Justice?

4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If he says the President can not be impeached, then he should not be confirmed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If they get enough defections to stall until the mid-term, I don't see how the party won't fall in line. But they won't get those defections, so we'll see a handful of Dems in close races vote for him.

6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    If it means losing their senate seat? Don't agree with that.

7. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    If Republicans are defecting, there's a reason.

8. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I get why the parties hype it, I am just not sure why the people seem to focus so much on that issue. So why not discuss Citizens United or the second amendment or asset forfeiture? Is he pro business or pro consumer? Lots of other stuff out there, but all I ever hear about is freaking abortion.

9. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
  10. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If what I read is correct Kavanaugh never even said this-it was in one of his writings and if you read the writing is says this:

"With that in mind, it would be appropriate for Congress to enact a statute providing that any personal civil suits against presidents, like certain members of the military, be deferred while the President is in office".

No, Brett Kavanaugh did not argue that a sitting president is above the law

as usual this is just the left's hysteria

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Maybe that's because Roe is the Dred Scott of our day. If you can't see the patent idiocy and fallacy underlying Roe...it calls into question one's legal ...acumen, if you will.

Notice how they all pretty much give the same canned answer: "...it's the settled law of the land."

So it is, until it's properly brought before the Court...

... as was Dred Scott, before it was...nullified.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 6:28 PM
  12. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The issues are connected. If we had real campaign finance reform. Roe would be overturned yesterday. The abortion lobby is one of the biggest out there.

13. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    SCOTUS justices have life tenure. You can't lobby them.

14. bfitzy

bfitzy Premium Member

Dec 16, 2017
    I think the idea to stall into midterms could prove costly. Say Collins defects and Kavanaugh doesn’t get confirmed. There are 10 dem senators in states that voted trump, 5 of which voted for trump by double digits. There’s a high likelihood that the Rs gain seats even in a supposed “blue wave.” Say the Ds gain NV and AZ but lose IN, ND, FL, and MO. Rs get a net gain of 2 seats in senate. Trump can then nominate Barrett or anyone more conservative than Kavanaugh and get them confirmed without Collins anyway. That’s disaster for the Ds.

15. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't think he will. Why? For a few reasons:
    1. Rumor is that the Trump admin made a deal with Justice Kennedy to get him to step down (Kavanaugh is a former Kennedy clerk).
    2. Barrett's interview with Trump apparently didn't go well, which is why it was down to Kavanaugh and Hardiman.
    3. Rescinding Kavanaugh's nomination will not go over well with a lot of Republicans, and it will make Trump look like he made the wrong choice (obviously, Trump looking like he made the wrong choice is the much bigger issue for him).

I highly doubt that anything happens with Kavanaugh.

16. bfitzy

bfitzy Premium Member

Dec 16, 2017
    But do you agree that if something unforeseen happens and Kav isn’t nominated, would trump react by going even more conservative or centrist?

17. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm not saying they vote him down. I'm saying that they stall until after the mid-terms. However, if the Dems gain a seat (unless McCain can vote), he'd be forced to pick someone more moderate. If the Dems lose seats, he could go more conservative. But I'm not convinced that Barrett is the big, bad monster.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Dred Scott was nullified by the 14th amendment. The point is that we have been hearing this abortion stuff in confirmations since the 80s and the answer is basically always the same. All the hype is around abortion and little coverage goes toward their positions on other issues. I know it's an important issue for a lot of people, but there are a lot of other important issues out there that they bitch about when they come up but never during the confirmations.

19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Call me naive, but I'm not worried about Roe getting overturned. It would cause too much chaos. I think they're just going to keep weakening it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Senior

Nov 14, 2017
    Your number 1 has been debunked, even by WaPo. Shameful how that rumor was pedaled as real news by NBC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1