1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

OFFICIAL: BASEBALL vs Valparaiso, Sat 6/1, 2:00 pm Eastern

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gatorgal04, May 31, 2013.

1. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    You folks realize that the sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass all the time, right? I am continually amazed at the number of "adults" that will bash college students on a message board, does it make you feel powerful or what? I'm also intrigued by those posters who are nowhere to be found when things are going well but come out of the freakin' woodwork when things aren't turning out the way we want them to.

I usually only stay out of a game thread because it's too much like a middle school locker room, a bunch of adolescent "boys" competing to see who has the biggest...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    We didn't want the directors cup anyway. Stanford has the right to win it every year no matter what. We may never have this opportunity again. I understand all we had to do is finish ahead of 2 others in the regional if everything else pans out in the remaing sports as expected. So we lose the directors cup because we cannot beat Valpo.

I know we were rebuilding. What concerns me is that this team seemed to say.good.riddance to the season well before it ended and they did not show up to play in the SEC tournament and did not show up to play in the NCAA tournament. they let themselves down and they let the entire athletic department down. Did they want to be there? Did they fight hard? I dunno as I was not there. But it sure seems like the last 15 games they mailed it in.
  3. ih8danoles

ih8danoles Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    What a way to find out how the game went! Stopped reading at page 8, and can say with confidence (on solid ground at that, no high horse here!) that no less than 3 people who posted frequently in this thread live a miserable life.

There is absolutely no reason, NONE, to get so worked up over any sporting event. I feel sympathy for your families.
  4. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    Coming from somebody with i hate another college as their screen name.
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    Not sure about that. They've been to the CWS 21 times, they have to have at least a couple of national championships by now. Could have sworn FSU won it in 2008...I think they actually beat the Bulldogs.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  6. swampbabe

swampbabe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    According to ESPN no ACC team has won it since the '50s and that was Wake Forest. Too lazy to look it up myself.
  7. ih8danoles

ih8danoles Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Hating my teams biggest rival and bashing the hell out of a couple college athletes on the team I love... I can certainly see how you connected those dots my friend.
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    A couple of thoughts on this. I don't think any specific team necessarily cares about the directors cup while they are playing. It's a great prize, but I would imagine the only prizes the athletes are concerned with, while they are playing, are the ones they play for (although they are obviously supportive other other sports within their GATOR athletics community).

I also don't think you can say that they did not show up for the NCAA Tournament. They played well enough to take the lead in each game. That they made the mistakes to surrender the lead shouldn't be taken to be equivalent to quitting or "not showing up." Just my two bits.

There was going to be no easy way to go out of this regional. It sucks to lose 2 no matter how you do it. The only alternative is to win your regional.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  9. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I'm sure Ramjit would have hit into a DP anyway, so either way Sully was playing with fire.
  10. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    Fresno State University (FSU)
  11. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Exactly, leads nation in hitting in DP,s. Gators are also leading in 2out singles.
  12. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +784
    You are better than that Wes !!!!
  13. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I really doubt that happened. From what I have read, he had as much misfortune as you could ever expect in one year.

If I'm not mistaken, he lost practically his entire recruiting class to MLB and whatever was left was lost to injury. There is no way to overcome that, unless you are some kind of magician or play in Division 3.

The only thing I can think of doing is maybe being a little more cautious in recruiting players that you know are going to be high draft picks. Of course, you are potentially giving those players up to your competition in the process....
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I think the problem here is recruiting too well. Too many losses to MLB from last year's class compounded with all of the talent that left after their junior and senior season's last year.

Somehow, Sully has to find some balance. It may cost us some elite players (who may never suit up in college to begin with), but we sure as hell won't have a repeat of this season.
  15. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    the only sport that really matters at UF is football. Basketball had a couple of titles, but UF is not a basketball school. Baseball? UF has little tradition and few fans, so not winning a title is no big deal.
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    :roll: Was this really necessry? If you dont care about other sports, just ignore them, no need to troll.
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,045
    Football doesn't matter either. UF is a research institution!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  18. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    he makes a point though: gator baseball could use better fan support. it'll make the coach's job on the recruiting trail easier.
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    I could always be wrong, but dont really think fan support was his point, just an extra little dig tossed in.
  20. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Hate to admit , but the kid is right here. Gainesville is one of the worst baseball towns in the SEC. Horrible support. To be honest basketball is not all that impressive either. Yes I have season tix , and come in from out of town . Too many "blue hairs in gville ?