OFFICIAL: BASEBALL VS. TAMU, Tue 5/21, 5:30 pm Eastern

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gatorgal04, May 20, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    I don't see us making a regional.
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
  3. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Tough year for the boys. We knew this year was a rebuilding one, just didn't know it would be that big of a project. I seriously doubt we make a region. Get a good class in here next season and lets get back on track.
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    for a relatively young team - is it that valuable an experience to go to a regional - and probably get bounced (either 2 and Q or 2&2)? or is it best just to end it now and regroup? who knows what may happen if you make it into a double elimination tourney. especially if there's relatively no pressure. [we haven't exactly responded to the pressure down the stretch to have our performance equate into wins].
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    kinda feel like i'm half-responsible. home computer crashed. haven't been able to get on-line to add my positive vibes for the last week or so. wasn't 'there' to help embree and the girls vs stanford. same w/ last night's game vs A&M.
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    I tend to agree with sting on the JUCO aspect. I think it was Larry Vettel who used to say UF should try and get the top JUCO pitcher and hitter in the state every year. Clealry you can't always do that, but it is a logical path to follow and helps fill gaps quickly.
    The incoming class is very very good, and shouldn't get hit as hard by the draft (famous last words).
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,108
    There are certainly some legitimate issues/concerns...but I can't go with this assessment.

Bader questionable? Freshman hits .304 ( .307 in SEC play), makes some great plays in the OF, leads the team in stolen bases....not sure what you want
    Maybe Richie? Also hit .304 and probably lost 10-15 points on his average because of struggling to swing it after returning from injury. Kid is a stud and any team in he country would kill to get him.
    Shafer no? He slumped badly at year end, but the guy can swing it....and you will be very glad he is around next year when hopefully there is a little more protection in the lineup. He is athletic, has a little power....can have the same impact as Pigott
    Casey is what he is, a solid guy that makes good contact. Slight soph slump but nobody should question him being an SEC caliber player. Nolan Fontana hits in the .280s all 3 years at UF and I imagine Turgeon leaves with comparable numbers.
    Gushue is still so young due to coming in early. People forget Zunino only hit .267 his first year and I tend to consider this Gushue's first year since last season was really his senior year in high school and he got such limited work. I do agree Gushue MUST get better defensively. That killed UF at times this year.
    I agree Powers is a role player, and Tobias has flashes but needs to get healthy and develop consistency before he can be an everyday threat
    Just having one of Thompson or Ratliff would have changed so much. But it is what it is.
  8. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +524
    Is is beneificial to get the experience of a regional even if you will most likely get ousted immediately - probably. Experience never hurts even if it negative if you have a mindset that has the ability to take something negative and use it to improve yourself.

But ever since the LSU series there has been a downward trend that has been significant and the selection committee certainly looks at recent trends which would certainly suggest that they won't get any bids this year although you never know given the overall RPI. The problem is the overall SEC conference record is below .500.

Before the LSU series they put themselves in a position to be put into the tourney given the context of the SEC record but the same funk they got into in the beginning of the season is the same funk they were in at the end of the season which obviously is not good. In my mind quite honestly they don't deserve a bid given the context of this season but it just depends upon the records of other teams in the college landscape right now.
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +76

Without the pressure of being the top team, could still be a dangerous team in Tallahassee regional. . . depends on which team shows up. At times this year against strong clubs (Vandy, USC, FSU) this team has played well. If things turn around who knows what can happen in a regional. Hopefully we get to find out.
  10. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    even in a rebuilding year--there seems to be a lot of mediocre "talent" on the roster--how did that happen??
  11. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +336
    Well, count me disappointed. I really thought sully would have them in regionals every year with omaha trips every few.

Hard to be optimistic going into next year with how this one closed. Really hope most of the recruits are enrolled come january. Otherwise its gonna be another tough season.
  12. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    to me, i don't mind a down season once and awhile. i think it helps to re-set the fanbase expectations too. as long as each down season is met w/ ncaa regionals the following season and build back up to omaha again and again.

i think sully is a gem. i like how he manages the team and the pitching staff. doesn't always translate to the perfect move but he's looking out for his players (pitchers) and that has to pay dividends. you know he already has a great reputation when it comes to managing the pitchers.
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,125
    One of the other problems though, is that Sully recruits and gets commits by several big-name kids every year and many of them tend to go pro early and leaves us with a class with holes in it.

He's a heck of a recruiter, but maybe sometimes he might go after more kids who really want to be here 3 - 4 years?