OFFICIAL: BASEBALL vs. SC, THUR 4/11, 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 9, 2013.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    great win!

losing team loses - games end w/ a base hit. that's rare.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Mick and Jeff both said that it looked like Reid's throw would have beat the runner at the plate even if he didn't fall. They said that Gushue looked shocked when he turned around to apply the tag but there was no runner; that Gushue made a decent throw to third; but that Tobias sealed it with a great block with his knee against the runner scrambling to get back. What did it look like on TV?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    exactly like that!
    brilliant throw in to the plate by Reid in RF right on the money.
    great throw to tobais by gushue, like a laser.
    superior play by tobais
  4. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    I'd still like to see us hit the ball better, but overall this team has improved a lot from where they were at the beginning of the year. And doing it against a tough schedule too.
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +851
    Would agree with that analysis. Great throws by Shafer, gushue and Tobias looked like a catcher blocking the plate.
  6. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +300
    Great job Gators! This season was going to be a HUGE transition this year with all the young guys. But I've been saying that they have some real talent. The hitting will come with experience, same with the mental mistakes. Way to start off the weekend!

***Reason why Jay Carmicheal hasn't been playing because he's been hurt from what I'm told.
  7. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    Thanks bogey and 2x. Hopefully, I'll get to see a replay if and when they show some highlights on GatorVision.
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +851
    Could have been wrong on rf , not sure after the late inning changes,but a great way to end the game.

Still have a few trouble areas, but defense was the difference in the last 2 wins. Big improvement over early in the season. Hopefully, martin is back at ss soon, tho Dent has played well. Nice to see Gushue throw out a runner.

Not Crawfords best game, but good enough for the win. Great job by the bullpen. The running game continues to disappoint, unfortunately. Obviously, a great start to the weekend. This SC team looks to be a notch below their championship teams. I think last year s cock team would have pulled this one out.
  9. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    actually, when you think about it, wasn't a bad night at the plate considering we were up against the friday night starter of a top 10 team.

sure, could have used one or 2 better productive outs or a single or two w/ RISP,...we would have cruised to a win if that was the case.
  10. domgator

domgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    3 actually. We won the last game of Miss State series and they are still ranked I think.
  11. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Hitting with RISP is the main thing I'd like to see improved, but I do think we've gotten better at it. A double or home run would be nice to see too. Still not a bad night though (I don't think if you can have a bad night beating a top 10 team), and I think we'll get better with experience.
  12. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +385
    I am one happy Gator. I was watching the throw from Reid and when Gushue got the ball, I was wondering where the runner went. I look up the line and see him in the dirt and then Gushue threw to 3B. I couldn't see Tobias because everyone was standing and I'm screaming at the top of my lungs. All I saw was the ump give the out signal. It was beautiful! The guys came storming out of the dugout. One excited crew and the crowd with them.
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Young vs. Montgomery tomorrow. Montgomery has a 0.78 ERA in 4 starts, but he only has 1 SEC start (4 IP, 4 hits, 2 K, 0 R, .286 OppBA)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Another great win. Didn't love the move to leave Harris in for the 9th. If Mags was even an option, why not just have him start the inning? Whatever though, each and every win is huge for this team right now. The RPI is up to 15. Seriously, with that RPI and with the quality wins, it's quite possible the Gators make the tournament if they finish even 1 game over .500.
  16. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    A steadily improving young team. A few more of these wins that we supposedly shouldn't get and we're right there in the hunt for a spot in the tourney! ...right?
  17. HungryGator

HungryGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Sully could've been trying to save Mags for Saturday since he pitched Sunday, but brought him in because he felt like getting the win tonight was more important. My guess is Simpson or Carmichael starts Saturday.
  18. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Yep probably hoping he could get the win without using Mags and save him for the Saturday start. It all worked out.

Mags threw very little wouldn't be shocked to see him throw 5 on Saturday.
  19. gatorsande

gatorsande New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

DD11;

You are 100% correct. Two years ago Georgia was in the exact same position heading into the SEC Tournament. They needed a couple of wins to get one game over .500 and did (it actually happened against us when Mike Z hit Brian Johnson in the head on a steal attempt).

If memory serves Georgia played a difficult schedule, but not near as tough as ours has been this year and were shipped to Eugene, Oregon as a #2 seed and almost made it to a Super Regional (i.e. winners bracket, but lose two to the Ducks).

I think the only provision you left out is we need to qualify for the SEC Tournament. I am not sure with Missouri and Texas A&M being added if everyone gets in, but if it is still the top 8 teams, it is my opinion that we would need to be one of those teams and finish above .500 to secure a spot.
  20. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    There is a precedent for not making the conference tourney and still being invited to the NCAA tourney. UF did it in 2003 if memory serves. We were shipped to Coral Gables (as always back in the day) as a 3 and lost to Miami on Sunday (as always at the time and hence my continued distaste of Miami despite our flipping of the script in recent years).