OFFICIAL: BASEBALL vs. Austin Peay, Fri 5/31, 2:20 pm Eastern

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gatorgal04, May 29, 2013.

1. lostgator

lostgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I made the mistake of prematurely internalizing the victory around the 7th inning. I was mentally in Omaha, so this one hurt! I still think we will come back to win the regional.
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +932
    Valpo is up early on Indiana. Best case scenario is Indiana loses and we only have to beat them once. Even better would be Valpo knocking off Austin Peay and Valpo being the team that we need to beat twice rather than Peay. Let's go rally and get a win tomorrow (or whenever the weather let's 'em play).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    need a win [tomorrow] just to stay above 0.500. can't end the season under 0.500!
  4. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    how did fla end up with so little talent this season?? these up and down seasons are getting old.
  5. kellgator

kellgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Sadly, we're just not very good. We don't deserve to win a regional. I hope we do, but we shouldn't. We were not very good for the first 27 games of the year (5 games under .500). Then we got really hot for about 14 games. I'm sure some of you were thinking just as I was, that this team had finally turned the corner. But, in hindsight, that 14 game stretch was an aberration. We've now played the last 17 games at 5 games under .500). So that's 44 games at 10 games under .500, and 14 games at 10 games above .500. We're fortunate to even be in the postseason. If not for a 3 week stretch where we won almost every game we wouldn't have even made the SEC tournament.

But, we've got some good young talent. Martin and Bader are really good freshmen. Turgeon and Shafer are really good sophomores. Tobias looks like he could take a step up to really good as well. So that's 5 of 8 everyday players that should be really good next year. What we lack is some big bats! Gushue has been terrible, and Vic seems to be unlucky. Hits a lot of balls hard, but they find people.

Plus, our staff has been gutted by injuries this year. Crawford pitched well today, but aside from a few good starts he's no where close to what we expected from him. And he's the only "weekend starter" we have left. Sully will probably have to start our closer tomorrow because he's the only trustworthy arm left.

Sorry for typing this. I'm just venting a season's worth of frustration. It's tough when you were as spoiled as we've been the previous 3 season. Next year will be better. I firmly believe that. How much better will depend on if we can bring a couple of consistent hitters with decent pop to campus this summer.
  6. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,581
    i have no idea.

when i think about it, this may be o'sullivan's best coaching job at florida.

i watch us play and i don't know how we beat people.

i hope there are plenty of new faces next year.
  7. sec1

sec1 VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    we are hardly a average team , not much talent
  8. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    Up and down seasons? UF has been to three CWS in a row- those are pretty "up" seasons in my book.

This was a rebuilding year especially once two projected week-end starters, Whitson and Kish, were lost for the season due to injury.

UF has the top recruiting class coming in next year, and even losing several to the MLB draft, will have a solid infusion of talent. We will be back contending for a spot in Omaha in 2014.
  9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    Yes, but the two SRs, especially Dent, did not have good seasons and the one JR who has started much of the year, Powers, has played his way out of the line up.

That is little help from any upperclassmen and that makes things difficult. Today's line up consisted of seven FR and SOPH, and that makes us a pretty young team.
  10. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +530
    The bulk of our talent was in the 2009 class. Johnson, Maddox, Zunino, Randall, Fontana. Add Tucker from the 08 class and that's a lot of talent to replace. After that we didn't do a very good job recruiting power hitters and guys with size. Our team is full of players who fit the 5'10" 190 lb. mold but lack strength, power, and size. Same thing happened to Pat McMahon. After the 2003 class left (Jeroloman, Davis, LaPorta), he was only left with Matt LaPorta for the 2007 season. The guy was carrying the team on his back but we still had zero pitching and not many hitters after him. Opposite teams pitched around him, even though he still got his share of HRs. The results from this severe drop in talent were back-to-back .500 seasons and McMahon being fired.

Right now there isn't a single hitter on our team who scares opposite pitchers. There isn't a single batter that the opposition has to pitch around or think about walking intentionally.

I don't see things changing much next year unless the freshmen can provide instant size, power, and runs. Like someone mentioned before, good hitters show their stuff instantly. Preston Tucker was setting HR records his freshman season. Johnson, Zunino, and Maddox led us to a CWS as freshmen because they all could hit for power. We're not gonna have any current players all of a sudden hit a dozen or more HRs this year simply because a light came on in the off-season. If we do shame of the coaching staff for not making it happen sooner.
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    TJ,
    I don't totally disagree, but let's remember Zunino hit .267 as a freshman and B Johnson had limited at bats and wasnt even a regular in the lineup(although he hit well when he played). Add in that Maddox had his only good hitting year as a freshman, and really only produced as a pitcher next 2 years.
    Everybody loves Fontana, but Martin has hit for a much higher average this year than Nolan did in any of his 3 years.
    You are right, not much to scare opponents right now. But I think we havsome Pigott type players that are productive and will continue to improve as they gain experience. Plus the roster should gain a lot with the addition of Ratliff and the freshman class.
    I do not expe huge power numbers next year, but I do think they will have a big jump in run production.
  12. TJtheGator

Ratings Received:
    +530
    Power isn't necessarily HRs. Doubles, triples, gappers, hard-hit balls to the OF that can turn into doubles easily. This year's team lacks that ability. Someone mentioned yesterday that we had not had an extra-base hit in over 5 games. Absolutely atrocious stat for a team like Florida. If you have no gorilla ballers then you can't rely on singles and bunts to score. This was McMahon's philosophy: he was perfectly happy getting a leadoff single and sacrificing the next 2 outs via bunts in order to have a runner on 3rd.
  13. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    I didn't say anything about HR's, not sure what you are referencing. I think Shafer, Turgeon, Martin, Gushue, Bader all have plenty of ability to hit a lot of doubles....and I expect that number to jump with some of the roster additions.
    Totally disagree on the need to have gorilla ball to score runs though. Just need solid consistent contact and good baserunning (which has been a big issue IMO).
  14. TJtheGator

Ratings Received:
    +530
    Agree, you don't need gorilla ball. Need more than singles and bunts though which is what I was referring to with McMahon.