OFFICIAL: BASEBALL at GA, Sat 5/18, 2:00 pm

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by Gatorgal04, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadnaughtCane

DreadnaughtCane New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip, but it's not all that easy to maintain the 73% College World Series rate that Morris carried for 15 of his 19 years at Miami. To put his career in perspective, his "down" years are all better than what you folks are biting your nails about right now.

As for being third in the state, it's not embarrassing to be behind FSU, and FGCU is not yet the clear #2 that you are making them out to be.
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    Ha ha . Just giving my perspective living in S Fla. Should have known better than to expect an objective response from a cane. And you are correct, I forgot about FGCU, guess you guys are now 4th.

Glad you are a morris fan, personally I hope he stays there forever. I like the current trend in the UF/UM series.
  3. DreadnaughtCane

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Ah, there's the obligatory shot at Miami fans. I was pretty sure we couldn't make it through two or three posts without you resorting to something like that. My posts are about baseball, not tailgate parking lot shots at other fans.

As for where we are in the Florida rankings, that's not part of the selection criteria. UF, FGCU, UNF, USF, and whoever else you want to put ahead of us in your fantasy rankings need to do some work this week to get into the tournament. That's about as objective as it gets.
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Miami clearly has the overall history over FLORIDA, but if you can't see that Miami has been behind FLORIDA for the last few years then you're not being very objective. Miami can be said to be ahead of FLORIDA for this year if they advance in their regional and/or if FLORIDA does not advance (or make a regional).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. DreadnaughtCane

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I don't know where the mix up in communication occurred, but I don't remember coming here and making some kind of claim that Miami is ahead of Florida, whatever that means. If you guys take solace in that claim, be my guest, but I thought the discussion that I participated in had to do with the possibility of a Big 3 Florida team missing the tournament.
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    No problem, I'm kind of forgetful myself:

I think most would take your comment as a light-hearted ribbing at FLORIDA (whether you believe it to be true or not). No big deal either way, both programs are below where they and their fans would like for them to be. Good luck in the postseason. Hopefully the stars will align and you guys can take a trip to GAINESVILLE for the Super Regionals.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  7. DreadnaughtCane

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yes, it was a light-hearted jab, and I thought it was a pretty good one. :yes:

I swear I come here in peace.
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    where do you think the issue lies w/ morris and the cane program?
  9. DreadnaughtCane

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think the recruiting effort was lazy from about 2007-2010. Instead of hitting the pavement and finding players who weren't going to sign with MLB but who would be D-1 caliber baseball players, the staff either signed first round picks or kids who looked good in uniforms at showcases. It might have been a case of "we're Miami, kids will come to us". I think that has been recognized, because Mercadante was fired and Gino DiMare was brought back in.

Another aspect, which might be looked at as an excuse around here, is that Miami has to find kids who can come up with 65-75% of $48,000 after dividing those 11.7 scholarships. If I'm from Palm Beach and can play and attend FSU for $1,500, that is pretty enticing. That's what shocks me about Georgia being so bad. They can get kids who have to pay NOTHING, but they still can't put it together.

Bottom line: it's all about the players, and the recruiting hasn't been effective, especially with hitters.
  10. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Actually, Naught, UF and UM had similar seasons. The Canes finished below .500 in the ACC, UF did the same in the SEC, and both had some struggles in OOC games. UM had a better over-all record but UF played a tougher schedule, and beat the Canes 2-1 in the season series.

It is good to have you back. We haven't heard much from you in recent seasons and I wonder if that has anything to do with UF owning UM the last 4-5 years?
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +76

I have read numerous times people say not making a regional is unacceptable. Not hosting a regional - no I can't recall ever seeing that but then again I am sure I have not read every post on this board although I looked back through the posts on this topic and didn't see it.

Where did I say Jeremy Foley "publicly stated that not making a regional is unacceptable"?

Here is what is publicly stated. Draw your own conclusions:

Gator baseball wasn’t where we wanted to be, and that was my fault,” Foley said. “We hired some coaches that didn’t work out. That’s not to say Andy Lopez, who is back in Omaha [with Arizona], isn’t a good coach. It just wasn’t working here.”

The problem all those years before O’Sullivan arrived in 2008 was Foley wanted what Florida State had in Mike Martin, who is CWS-bound for the 15th time in 33 seasons, and kept coming up short.

“I look at what FSU and Miami have done year after year [in baseball],” Foley said. “It’s an amazing record of consistency. I have confidence that Kevin will keep it going. He’s made us relevant nationally on a consistent basis.”

AND THIS:

Foley had seen his baseball teams reach amazing highs only to sink to deflating lows. Foley was looking for consistency.

“One of our goals is we want to be in the hunt every year,” Foley said. “Sully has made the Gators relevant again. But we don't want to do it for just four years. We want to do it like Florida State and Miami and be there 10 years, 15 years and beyond. That's what the Gators want to become.”
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    If we miss a regional this year, it will be acceptable. What does that mean? It means that nobody will be fired or forced to change what they're doing on account of what happens this year. It will be a pass for what has happened the past 3 years (see Billy Donovan in hoops, although he obviously accomplished more). Does it mean that there's a new level of expectation where we should be content with not making a regional? Of course not, it's simply an acknowledgment that this is a permissible outlier given the circumstances.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    By the way, the "Big 3" are a whopping 0-5 in conference tournament play.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Well stated. I highly doubt anyone would want to get rid of O'Sullivan.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.