Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Officer Jeffrey Bishop Gets 4 Years for Selling Fentanyl to Children at School While On Duty

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, May 7, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

MACHIAS, Maine (BDN) — In a case involving one of Maine’s worst-ever cases of police corruption, a former candidate for Washington County sheriff who worked as a police officer in eastern coastal Maine for nearly 20 years was sentenced to serve 4 years in prison on drug and gun charges.

Jeffrey Bishop, 55, originally faced 35 charges after he gave opioid pills to a teenage girl in the parking lot of a high school in Harrington. Police also found more than a dozen stolen guns at his house in Cherryfield.

In a deal with the state attorney general’s office, Bishop pleaded guilty in August to 14 felony charges ranging from drug trafficking and furnishing to stealing drugs to multiple counts of receiving stolen guns. The other 21 charges, many theft counts related to the guns, were dismissed.

Bishop arrived a few minutes early to his 8:30 sentencing and prayed in the parking lot with his family before going inside the courthouse.At the end of the hearing, Bishop was allowed to hug members of his family and to say goodbye before he was handcuffed and led away by correction officers to begin serving his sentence.

Cop Gets 4 Years for Selling Fentanyl to Children at School, While On Duty, From His Cruiser

This must be one of the police officers Trump wants to grant immunity to. Crazy how he only got 4 years.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Four years?!?

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    21 Jump Street (the cops bust dealers at school) vs Reality (the cops are the dealers at school)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Right? Throw away the key.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe prayer works and God is a cop?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    That’s rediculous.

He should be in for at least 10-15. Then on probation for 10 once he gets out.

• Like Like x 3
  7. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Blue lives matter apparently more than kids

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Sentence seems light given the charges.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    What a crock. Any law inforcement officials who break the law should get double what the norm is. The very ones we should be able to trust—-

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It says it was a “plea bargain”, but even with that in mind it seems like a joke of a deal for 14 felonies.

Not even sure what the argument would be on the side of prosecutors to offer such leniency. Yeah, it’s hard to convict cops for “excessive use of force” cases because there might always be one “bAcK the bLuE” dumbass on any jury. Shouldn’t have to worry about that phenomenon in a crazy corruption case? But maybe I’m wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Let's see:
    Distributing Fentanyl
    Distributing Fentanyl to minors on school grounds.
    Distributing Fentanyl to female students.
    (Has this cop been investigated for sexual improprieties?).
    Distributing Fentanyl as an acting police officer.

4 years?

Fix is in.

12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Someone link the police immunity thread here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It being a plea bargain makes it worse, imo. It wreaks of him getting offered a sweetheart deal by the prosecutor because he was in the law enforcement club.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The paranoid part of my brain is thinking this was buying his silence for people higher up the chain who knew what was going on and/or were in on dealing. I mean he was doing it out of his patrol car, not exactly low key.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Being in The Club is certainly a possibility, but also maybe that getting a conviction is next to impossible via judge or jury, so take what you can get.

“I seriously don’t think you’ll be back in front of the court [ever again],” Mullen told Bishop. “I’m not worried about that.”

That was the judge.

Despite this guy having a history of criminality going back to 2006 and spanning elections, multiple LEO jobs/firings, drugs, stolen guns, and minors, this judge isn't the least bit worried about any future issues.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    I would have zero issue with putting this guy in GenPop in a max. Wouldn’t last a week. Good riddance

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    Oof. On the surface, this seems very light. For those charges, he should have gone away for a lot longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I know cops are hard to convict (particularly when self-defense can be argued), but I think dealing drugs to children at school is not a tough case for a prosecutor. If that was their motivation, fear of a jury, then they are pretty stupid IMO.

19. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But even per the story, they were in actuality for mommy, not "dealing drugs to children at school." And he had the prosecutor running that cover for him.

The drugs were intended for the girl’s mother, with whom Bishop sometimes traded drugs for sex, according to Assistant Attorney General Jeff Baroody. On some occasions, Bishop had sex with the girl’s mother in his cruiser while he was on duty with the Calais Police Department, police have said.

Again, wouldn't be the least to bit surprising to find out they are in the same foursomes at the local country club every weekend, but the only entity we are missing so far in finding a way to diminish all the charges is the jury, which does not exist. Everyone involved is in agreement that this is no big deal.

IMO, I might actually buy the MILF drugs idea (although personally I'd run him ragged on technical aspects of drugs at HS anyway), but how about all the stolen guns? Clearly he took those from the local PD over the last four years. 15 of them. I have to imagine that there is a lot more to that part of the story also. Why is he stealing them? And was it only 15? I bet there are a lot more than 15 gone, and now they are out in the world doing "work" after he sold them.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Wonder if there was a problem with witnesses or evidence
    Definitely a pos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.